Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FS5 Sony picture mode tutorial explains SLog exposure levels  (Read 4705 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram

There's a very nice tutorial by Alastair Chapman here which explains picture modes and exposure levels.
http://www.4kshooters.net/2016/05/31/new-sony-fs5-tutorials-by-alister-chapman/

this may help people coming from still workflows.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
Re: FS5 Sony picture mode tutorial explains SLog exposure levels
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2016, 05:25:52 am »

The other shorter  tutorial (by me) says..

put the histogram in the middle
Sam Morgan Moore Bristol UK

eronald

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 07:27:05 pm »

The other shorter  tutorial (by me) says..

put the histogram in the middle

what's your take on fs5? I'm thinking of getting one for documentary use
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 12:00:02 pm »

From casual observation (I helped someone set one up and shot a few test clips) the size, the XLRs and ND, the 10bit HD slog all make a very attractive package.

Id have it over the 8 bit C100, C300, and if I had a sack of different cameras would often choose it over my FS7 to save on lugging duties.

Even the 18-105 kit lens seems to be kind of OK

S

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 04:02:25 pm »

Even the 18-105 kit lens seems to be kind of OK

[ Forgive the off-topic but... ]

That lens is kind of OK and actually may be the only Sony zoom to put on it for the camera's stated purpose of being easily handheld.

I recently visited B&H to handle the camera since I was interested in re-exploring 'traditional' video cameras to supplement or replace my three year love affair with Panasonic's GH system. 'Just lookin'...'  ;D

But I wasn't that keen on the manual focus and iris adjustments available on that lens - ok but not great - really more of an auto-everything kind of lens. So I asked for the 'real' Sony zoom lens to be mounted, the FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 G. Whoops! Suddenly hand-holding was unthinkable with the balance completely off. Too bad. I quickly lost interest as I recalled the small size and nimble abilities of my GH4.

Horses for courses as Michael often said.

Morgan_Moore

• sammorganmoore.com
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 03:33:29 am »

For shooting RnG (following live action, with little time for lens changes) we need the basic three shot sequence of wide mid tight we all search for the perfect lens that does that and drool at the range of B4 lenses on 2/3 cameras

My own choice on my FS7 is my nikkor 28-85 used with a speedbooster. This gives me manual iris and really pleasant manual focus.

It also has no IS, doesnt focus close enough and is not a consistent Tstop (3.5-4.5), so not perfect

People search every where for the 'three shot lens' - canon  or stigma 24-105+booster, Canon 17-55 with expensive adapter, $23,000 canon 17-135, new $8000 canon 18-80 - crappy sony 18-252 (6.3 at the long end) with super floppy focus.

The 18-105 by sony, is like all of these solutions, apart from the $23000 one, a dogs dinner mainly due to the floppy manual focus

But at only a couple of hundred bucks (I think?) with the camera as a kit - giving IS, consistent stop, good balance and reasonable range - it is a dogs dinner absolutely worth having.

Even the $23000 lens is not a panacea because it is the size and mass of a 300 2.8 and  needs thought to rig

S

eronald

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2016, 11:46:34 pm »

[ Forgive the off-topic but... ]

That lens is kind of OK and actually may be the only Sony zoom to put on it for the camera's stated purpose of being easily handheld.

I recently visited B&H to handle the camera since I was interested in re-exploring 'traditional' video cameras to supplement or replace my three year love affair with Panasonic's GH system. 'Just lookin'...'  ;D

But I wasn't that keen on the manual focus and iris adjustments available on that lens - ok but not great - really more of an auto-everything kind of lens. So I asked for the 'real' Sony zoom lens to be mounted, the FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 G. Whoops! Suddenly hand-holding was unthinkable with the balance completely off. Too bad. I quickly lost interest as I recalled the small size and nimble abilities of my GH4.

Horses for courses as Michael often said.

Chris, 

I have a GH4 and12-35  it does everything except hold continuous AF on a face for documentary use - in UHD mode it "pumps" the focus  back and forth. Have you found a solution to this? How d'you hold focus on faces when subject moves? Which lens d'you use for interviews? Some people have suggested I move to HD mode and that there the AF works.

Edmund
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 11:56:29 pm by eronald »

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 10:29:20 am »

I have a GH4 and12-35  it does everything except hold continuous AF on a face for documentary use - in UHD mode it "pumps" the focus  back and forth. Have you found a solution to this? How d'you hold focus on faces when subject moves? Which lens d'you use for interviews? Some people have suggested I move to HD mode and that there the AF works.
Basically I loathe AF. 99% of the time I am in Manual everything and use the Auto focus only in-between setups with a half shutter press.

eronald

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 02:58:53 pm »

Basically I loathe AF. 99% of the time I am in Manual everything and use the Auto focus only in-between setups with a half shutter press.

Yes. I've been doing exactly the same. The DOF is usually enough for small subject moves.

Edmund.

Pages: [1]   Go Up