Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Porch Swing in the South  (Read 990 times)

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
Porch Swing in the South
« on: May 29, 2016, 04:19:29 pm »

Any thoughts or reactions to this? I am considering using it in a collection of images that express the Southern lifestyle and culture. Thnkx, t
One Day At A Time

degrub

Re: Porch Swing in the South
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 05:27:37 pm »

i would have wanted to see something less sterile.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 05:30:03 pm »

Sterile is a big statement...

Peter

degrub

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 07:02:52 pm »

it was my reaction to it. No sign of life.

BobDavid

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 08:20:19 pm »

I don't see how this has anything to do with the South. There are no cues to suggest it's anywhere in particular. Once upon a time, before  air conditioning, people in the South often hung out on their porch swings. That was also during the era of Jim Crow. The South is largely different from the North. But those differences/nuances vary greatly from state to state. Often times the differences from one county to another within the same state are as dramatic.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 03:30:51 am »

I wonder if as a Brit I am part of your target audience? If I am then due to my ignorance I needed to be told that this had anything to do with the South. Are there tell tale pointers for a US member that I miss? I do know the swing and porch thing but I thought that was more general than the South.

The vegetation doesn't help me, nor does the architecture which seems generic to me but that might be part of the purpose of the shot. Is there any significance to the bowl at the bottom of the drain pipe, is it for a dog or something in which case it might help me get a  better picture if the dog/hound? was using it? The hanging basket top left does that have some meaning?

Of course, it may work better in a set about the South as it might off some contrasts against the more cliched stuff I might might expect.

Personally I don't think the composition is great but it might be driven by your need to include some things and not others.

I don't know if I have helped or not but I thought a reaction from an ignorant viewer might help.

Mike

Todd Suttles

• Hi, amateur learning my way...
    • Todd Suttles
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 02:11:43 pm »

Thanks everyone. Exactly what I wanted to know. Since I am from the south, I recognize the elements that are unique to the south, but no one else does. You've been a help. Thanks!
One Day At A Time

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 07:40:34 am »

I grew up in Pennsylvania, but I've lived in the South all my adult life. This scene is very recognizable. North Georgia? I like the placement of the swing in the light open area to emphasize its shape and graphic quality. The reflection in the window opens up the right side of the frame. Lots of strong vertical lines -- power poles, swing chains, signpost on the left. Is this one of those old gas stations with the overhang? If it seems sterile, that's because it is - but that's the reality here. Weeds in the cracks, but the grass is mowed. Plastic siding on the house, but peeling paint on the rafters. Interesting dichotomies.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 08:10:50 am »

I would say this image speaks to rural America...I have seen plenty of such scenes in upstate NY.

Peter
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 11:53:23 am by petermfiore »

muntanela

• BRATA
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 11:12:38 am »

If it seems sterile, that's because it is - but that's the reality here. Weeds in the cracks, but the grass is mowed. Plastic siding on the house, but peeling paint on the rafters. Interesting dichotomies.

The house seems to be uninhabited, but also inhabited, very interesting. I wonder how the inhabitants look.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 12:15:44 pm »

I would say this image speaks to rural America...I have seen plenty of such scenes in upstate NY.

Peter

Peter's got it right. I've spent many years driving around the U.S. for one reason or another, and I can find this scene in just about any state in the Union.

I like it Todd. Peter's got his finger on what it conveys: it has a kind of sterility that's touching.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.
Pages: [1]   Go Up