Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: May evening  (Read 1644 times)

sdwilsonsct

May evening
« on: May 29, 2016, 10:16:21 am »

This is just a mile from my house, yet it took me over 10 years to get around to shooting it. I look forward to more interesting skies.
Feedback welcome.

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: May evening
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 10:59:36 am »

Great photo! Well seen and captured. For me, though, the photograph is in the trees without the house - I love the playfulness of the arcs  they create. The rectilinear structure and shadowed presentation of the house is a great foil to the trees, but the trees, alone, would make an equally compelling photograph.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 05:24:35 pm »

Sweet simplicity. There must be a way to reduce the lens flare on that tree for future shots. That would be my pet project if I was there...
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2016, 03:35:34 am »

Very nice image, lots of impact without being over doe. Personally I think the image is as you have seen it with teh building and trees. I find the sky a little weak, did you use a CPL and I wonder if it could have helped.

stamper

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2016, 03:46:34 am »

As it is a fine image. I wouldn't alter anything.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 04:05:41 am »

I like it as it is.

francois

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 04:43:50 am »

Well worth the 10-year wait! I wouldn't change it.
Francois

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 08:52:33 am »

Thanks for the comments.
Terry: yes, the tree is nice, and I tried to get it alone. On this evening, however, the elements (curved shadows) did not line up. Try, try again.
Mike: this was shot with a Canon 17 mm T/S so no filter was available. Hopefully better skies will come along.
Murphy: all suggestions welcome.

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 09:34:16 am »

Very nice Scott, subject, sky, and especially the color. A couple of things, although difficult to say because of the JPEG, it looks like in the image posted that there are alternating bands of "lens cast" artifacts around the sun -  which I think I saw in another image of yours earlier(?). If it is, I would try to repair it in Raw Therapee - trying some of the highlight repair options, or in future shoots some correction frames for use in LR as discussed in LuLa tut. - also similar methods for Capture One. Lastly, to my eye there is a lot of magenta in the sky which I find a bit distracting - you might look at it with a little bit of the magenta pulled back so sky goes a fraction more to cobalt rather than blue-violet. /B
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

churly

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 07:39:55 pm »

Spring on the prairies - looking good.  I have some rain, drizzle and fog if you want to trade  :).

Is there any chance that you could step a bit to the right and get a bit of separation between the house and tree?

Chuck
Chuck Hurich

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2016, 09:12:17 pm »

it looks like in the image posted that there are alternating bands of "lens cast" artifacts around the sun...
... to my eye there is a lot of magenta in the sky which I find a bit distracting - you might look at it with a little bit of the magenta pulled back so sky goes a fraction more to cobalt rather than blue-violet. /B

Good points, Brandt. Those bands are sloppy processing (brushing in Aperture). But you have me looking at my RAW files more critically.

Yeah, I got a little happy with the blue, probably overcompensating for the lack of blue closer to the sun.

Thanks, Chuck. On the prairie I can step right, left, back, etc etc, but I still can't get a perfect composition. In this case, right would bring the sun out from behind the tree; ahead cuts off just part of the house. The Tragedy of Landscape Photography.  ;)
Pages: [1]   Go Up