Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Feel like it belongs here  (Read 1675 times)

Zorki5

• AOLib
Feel like it belongs here
« on: May 21, 2016, 06:32:13 pm »

Posted this originally in The Zoo, for those who miraculously escaped learning [enough] about Michael, but somehow feel like it won't be out of place here as well.... If I'm wrong, sorry about that.

To those who read this forum but did not subscribe to LuLa site: go for it. Michael's legacy is huge, and it's there, and I myself haven't had enough of it.

Kevin, you have HUGE shoes to fill. I wish you every luck with that.

First of all, for those of you who happened to be unfortunate not to know about Michael's work and legacy, here are some links to the open areas of LuLa with some of his images:

https://luminous-landscape.com/michael-Reichmanns-2016-homepage-images/

https://luminous-landscape.com/michael-Reichmanns-2015-homepage-images/

https://luminous-landscape.com/michael-Reichmanns-2014-homepage-images/

Please understand that, when I say "unfortunate", I do not mean anything condescending... All I want to say is that there was a tremendous lot he could give you as a photographer.

The above-mentioned images alone do not give a complete picture, of course. But they are important in that they were produced by a self-admitted gear addict; by a very technically skilled and eloquent technical writer.

Yes, there are other photo review sites with equally technically skilled editors, but what pictures do we see when we visit them, at best? As to me, a quote from Ansel Adams invariably comes to mind: "There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept". That's what.

LuLa was a breath of fresh air in that respect. It was being run by a guy who, with all his tremendous technical skills and experience, was first and foremost a passionate photographer, and it showed. His enthusiasm was infectious, and his observations were spot on, because those were made by someone who actually shot great images, and was seemingly enjoying every minute of it.

It's hard to compress a decade and half of following him into couple of messages in this thread, and I do have a feeling that I didn't do him justice... For instance, I wrote I "owe" him for 70-300 DO selection... Yeah, right. But of much bigger importance is that I also leaned to see compressed landscape through that lens -- thanks to him, again.

I will be so sorely missing you, Michael... Rest in peace.

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
Re: Feel like it belongs here
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:30:05 pm »

We will all miss Michael for sure.  I'll miss my daily conversations and trips and especially the laughs we had.  My promise to Michael and he and I talked a lot about this is to keep Luminous-Landscape alive and strong in the photographic community. We were friends in part because we shared so much in our common interest and especially passion for photography.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

mbkinsman

Re: Feel like it belongs here
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 09:46:08 pm »

Kevin, thank you for your commitment to keep Lula strong. I think Michael chose well to have you take over for him and together with Chris, to forge ahead with Michael's vision. I look forward to many years of your continued  passion and Chris's videos on the Luminous Landscape.
Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up