Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon 120MP DSLR shown at Canon Expo in Shanghai, China  (Read 3566 times)

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Canon 120MP DSLR shown at Canon Expo in Shanghai, China
« on: May 21, 2016, 07:29:06 am »

FYI.

Interesting times ahead ...

http://petapixel.com/2016/05/20/canon-120mp-dslr-shows-off-stuff-canon-expo/

With Raw file sizes of some 214.1 megabytes each, I wonder which type of memory card direction they chose.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Ray

Re: Canon 120MP DSLR shown at Canon Expo in Shanghai, China
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2016, 09:12:40 am »

Who said that digital camera technology has reached its peak? Resolution is always a combination of sensor pixel count and lens quality. If the DR of this new Canon is equal to that of the Nikon D810, when the image is down-sampled to 36mp, I'll buy one.   ;D

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2016, 09:44:56 am »

Who said that digital camera technology has reached its peak? Resolution is always a combination of sensor pixel count and lens quality. If the DR of this new Canon is equal to that of the Nikon D810, when the image is down-sampled to 36mp, I'll buy one.   ;D

It won't have as high a DR, unless there is a breakthrough in stacked well depth capacity. The 13248 x 8832 pixels will presumably have a pitch in the order of 2.71 micron (if the sensor is 36 x 24 mm), but down-sampling should create some benefits for smooth tonality and reduced noise. I haven't done the math yet (because I do not know how efficient the lossless compression is), but 14-bit or 16-bit ADCs also make a difference. But I do not know what Canon uses.

For 90% of the users we already have enough resolution, but there will always be those who can benefit from more detail, not only for larger output with less stitching, but also if they end up with lower resolutions after down-sampling.

Cheers,
Bart

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2016, 10:09:18 am »

Hi Bart,

Finally a camera that needs no OLP filtering at f/5.6?

Hopefully they have a new sensor in sub 0.18 micron technology with columnwise ADCs or something better!

Best regards
Erik

It won't have as high a DR, unless there is a breakthrough in stacked well depth capacity. The 13248 x 8832 pixels will presumably have a pitch in the order of 2.71 micron (if the sensor is 36 x 24 mm), but down-sampling should create some benefits for smooth tonality and reduced noise. I haven't done the math yet (because I do not know how efficient the lossless compression is), but 14-bit or 16-bit ADCs also make a difference. But I do not know what Canon uses.

For 90% of the users we already have enough resolution, but there will always be those who can benefit from more detail, not only for larger output with less stitching, but also if they end up with lower resolutions after down-sampling.

Cheers,
Bart
Erik Kaffehr

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2016, 10:31:27 am »

Hi Bart,

Finally a camera that needs no OLP filtering at f/5.6?

The Nyquist frequency of the sensor is at 184.5 cycles/mm, so at f/10 there will be no resolution left due to diffraction from a circular aperture for green wavelengths (555nm). But the Bayer CFA undersamples quite a bit, so there may still be some mild false color artifacts at f/10 (although there will also be less subject matter with repetitive patterns that small).

Aliasing remains a hard to solve problem, especially if we use sparse sampling as we do with Bayer CFAs, but the issues do become less obvious with shrinking pixel pitches, and things like Backside Illuminated sensor designs or offset gapless micro-lenses.

Cheers,
Bart
Pages: [1]   Go Up