Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H6D promotion policy...  (Read 11054 times)

Theodoros

Hasselblad H6D promotion policy...
« on: May 17, 2016, 03:00:12 pm »

I received that on my mail:

"Purchase the H6D-50c now and trade-up to the H6D-100c for the difference in price! ...offer is valid until October 31st!" 

Well... it looked that H6D-50c will eventually end up priced same as the H5D-50c is currently priced, but I never thought they would do it right from the begging!  I guess those who are targeting an H5D-50c for the following months will have a choice... Either buy a new a H5D-50 or a (mint) condition H6D-50... I wonder what the offer will be for those that will  directly order an H6D-100... shouldn't they prized for leaving the H6D-50 in the box for Hasselblad to re-sell?  ;D

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
Re: Hasselblad H6D promotion policy...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 03:19:42 pm »

The 100 is not ready for release, maybe.

Edmund

"Purchase the H6D-50c now and trade-up to the H6D-100c for the difference in price! ...offer is valid until October 31st!" 

Well... it looked that H6D-50c will eventually end up priced same as the H5D-50c is currently priced, but I never thought they would do it right from the begging!  I guess those who are targeting an H5D-50c for the following months will have a choice... Either buy a new a H5D-50 or a (mint) condition H6D-50... I wonder what the offer will be for those that will  directly order an H6D-100... shouldn't they prized for leaving the H6D-50 in the box for Hasselblad to re-sell?  ;D
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 04:56:05 pm »

Or just no high demand... ;)

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Theodoros

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 05:59:16 pm »

Here is exact mail content:

"The H6D has become an instant success with orders received worldwide and has far exceeded our expectations. The engaging media coverage and encouraging comments from our current and new users has been phenomenal!
Unfortunately due to the recent devastating earthquakes in Kumamoto, Japan, the suppliers of some components, including the 100MP sensor, have been affected.
To get the H6D into the hands of eager customers Hasselblad are offering a fantastic H6D-50c Trade-Up promotion.
Purchase the all new H6D-50c at the standard price and you will have the option to trade-up that camera to the H6D-100c for the difference in the recommended sales price (MRSP).
The H6D has a brand new electronic platform boasting super-fast image processing and faster shooting rates that can be sustained for longer than ever before. The 100MP option, delivers unmatched image quality and the ability to resolve the finest detail with all our HC & HCD lenses.
This unique offer of getting started with our all new H6D-50c will be valid until 31st October 2016."

hsteeves

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 08:15:58 pm »

smart move on Hasselblad's part.  They get their new camera into people's hands now instead of having them wait until the 100mp back is available.  This means their plant facilities aren't sitting idle and/or they are sitting on bodies that are getting their costs back.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2016, 09:49:38 pm »

So it does look like not only phase was effected after all. Strange that it can be so. I really believed it all to be just great marketing by phase to get their CCD backs cleared. :-p

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 09:59:16 pm »

I am sorry, aren't you misunderstanding their offer?

This isn't about the H5D-50c, it is about the H6D50c.

Cheers,
Bernard

landscapephoto

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2016, 01:48:25 am »

From a representative: "Hasselblad has a stock of 50 mpix cmos chips but cannot get the 100 mpix chips delivered as planned because of the earthquake."

Theodoros

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2016, 06:43:58 am »

According to Sony, production of imaging sensors will be back to full capacity by the 21st of May... This is a 5 weeks time gap from the earthquakes happening. http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/good-news-sony-wafer-sensor-production-will-resume-on-may-21/

It is therefore reasonable to assume that the maximum delay that may occur in supplies for the 100mp sensor won't exceed 6 weeks of time... But Hasselblad's offer is until October the 31st. This means that the offer will be active by the time that the H6D-100 production starts next month (Hasselblad hasn't made any announcement that the release scedule of the H6D-100 will be postponed) and it will last well until after Photokina.

eronald

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 07:04:10 am »

The fact that they restart doesn't mean they will get the yield.

According to Sony, production of imaging sensors will be back to full capacity by the 21st of May... This is a 5 weeks time gap from the earthquakes happening. http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/good-news-sony-wafer-sensor-production-will-resume-on-may-21/

It is therefore reasonable to assume that the maximum delay that may occur in supplies for the 100mp sensor won't exceed 6 weeks of time... But Hasselblad's offer is until October the 31st. This means that the offer will be active by the time that the H6D-100 production starts next month (Hasselblad hasn't made any announcement that the release scedule of the H6D-100 will be postponed) and it will last well until after Photokina.
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Theodoros

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 07:21:06 am »

The fact that they restart doesn't mean they will get the yield.

Of course it doesn't, it doesn't mean the opposite either though... Never the less, Hasselblad's offering means that plenty of used 6HD-50c will be soon available in the market at prices that will be very close to the H5D-50c offering... This, may not cause a financial loss to Hasselblad (as the price of used H6D-50 will be similar to a new one if the customer takes advantage of the trade in offerings) but it does mean that they will attract even more customers with the mint-used H6D-50s and additionally they'll be selling two new H6D cameras (one 100c and another 50c) for many of the H6D-100 orders, as well as maximize the H6D-100 sales.

eronald

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2016, 07:44:00 am »

Of course it doesn't, it doesn't mean the opposite either though... Never the less, Hasselblad's offering means that plenty of used 6HD-50c will be soon available in the market at prices that will be very close to the H5D-50c offering... This, may not cause a financial loss to Hasselblad (as the price of used H6D-50 will be similar to a new one if the customer takes advantage of the trade in offerings) but it does mean that they will attract even more customers with the mint-used H6D-50s and additionally they'll be selling two new H6D cameras (one 100c and another 50c) for many of the H6D-100 orders, as well as maximize the H6D-100 sales.

assuming the 50s get upgraded. But:
- customers may decide they hate the Cmos Sony look.
- customers may find the 50c so good they don't want to let it out of their claws.
- Sony may release a 72mp stills/video hybrid A9 for $5K at Photokina, killing the market for the 50c dead, be it Phase or Hassy. Which is why the next 4 months may be a dumpfest for every brand with the 50 chip including Pentax.

Edmund

landscapephoto

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2016, 08:12:04 am »

There is not need for conspiracy theories. Hasselblad can't deliver the H6D-100s for lack of sensors. The sensors will probably not be available until july-august. Hasselblad does not want to lose customers, so they have this offer instead.

When they'll get the H6D-50s back, they can decide to sell them second-hand or use the parts to remanufacture new cameras. I don't think it will be a problem for them.

eronald

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2016, 08:24:38 am »

Yes, except here the 50 may effectively be a dead product in 3 months, and the 100 is not exactly ready for prime time. Last not least, Sony may need the production lines for its new pro camera sensors, so the 100Mp may go to the back of the line until they have their own production batch finished.

If Hassy were smarter they would lower the price of the 50 to $8K right now, and get some cash and new customers while they regroup. There is going to be blood in the water at Photokina with new releases from Sony and Pentax, and few will be buying over the summer.

Historically speaking, MF backs with fewer pixels than the 35mm top have sold badly.

Edmund

There is not need for conspiracy theories. Hasselblad can't deliver the H6D-100s for lack of sensors. The sensors will probably not be available until july-august. Hasselblad does not want to lose customers, so they have this offer instead.

When they'll get the H6D-50s back, they can decide to sell them second-hand or use the parts to remanufacture new cameras. I don't think it will be a problem for them.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:31:12 am by eronald »

Theodoros

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2016, 09:03:00 am »

There is no "conspiracy theory" described here... To the contradict, they keep surprising the market by improving their products appeal all the time... Past practices seem to be over with Hasselblad. I wish competition will make an example out of it.

jduncan

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2016, 09:10:27 am »

It seems that Sony is about to restart sensor production:http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/sony-sensor-production-resume/
I believe that is a combination of two factors:

1) Japan Earthquake
2) The H6D-100  to H6D-50 radio is off out Hasselblad estimations.

From my readings Hasselblad is very confident about the quality of the  H6D and H5D-50 series. They want people to try it.

Best regards
english is not my first language, an I k

jduncan

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2016, 09:12:34 am »

Or just no high demand... ;)

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu

Or maybe we have a big earthquake in some relevant country?

english is not my first language, an I k

siddhaarta

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 09:14:12 am »

I don't find this offer attractive at all, as you have to buy the H6D 50c for the (exaggerated) normal price and not for the interesting upgrade price (buy an old H3D and trade it in and save 5.000 EUR or so).

Again the price differential to the 100c will be calculated at the normal price. Much more inter siting to buy the 100c with the upgrade option trading in another camera.

Sure, the expectation to find cheap H6D 50c later on the used market may be something to observe.

Theodoros

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 09:43:26 am »

Yes, except here the 50 may effectively be a dead product in 3 months, and the 100 is not exactly ready for prime time. Last not least, Sony may need the production lines for its new pro camera sensors, so the 100Mp may go to the back of the line until they have their own production batch finished.

If Hassy were smarter they would lower the price of the 50 to $8K right now, and get some cash and new customers while they regroup. There is going to be blood in the water at Photokina with new releases from Sony and Pentax, and few will be buying over the summer.

Historically speaking, MF backs with fewer pixels than the 35mm top have sold badly.

Edmund

I totally disagree with your POV... The megapixel war seems to be long over, resolution is about the last thing that concerns photographers that consume top end products, the past experience about high resolution DSLRs affecting negatively MF sales, has more to do with CCD vs. Cmos and the shortcomings related with CCD, not with resolution as such...  There is no evidence that Canon's 5DS or Sony's α7RII success had any negative impact for MF sales, nor that people want (even) higher resolution offerings than they are offered today.

To the contradict, Hollywood's recent direction for MF size sensors over the past years, has widely created a mass opinion that "sensor size matters" and Hasselblad's decision to promote the convergence of technology as a prime factor in their H6D introduction, seems to be in line with the widely spread culture.

Don't forget Hasselblad's claim about "phenomenal market appreciation" for the H6D release... and yet they come up with a more attractive proposal. It seems to me that their aim is to "clean the cards off the table" with respect to competition... they don't seem to worry at all about what the case is with higher offerings from smaller formats...

If you remember the chairman's interviews, he thinks of the higher end FF Dslr market as being beneficial for the MF market the more it develops, it is a very sensible conclusion as like he said "one can then really appreciate the quality behind advancing to MF"... What is traditional with image areas in photography, is that "size does matter" and this can't change, whatever problem has caused smaller image areas to replace larger ones for being the "top-end" in the past, has to do more with the "quality with respect to investment needed" ratio being poor than the quality advancement itself. If the investment is kept reasonable, larger image areas can even expand their market (IMO).

Theodoros

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 10:18:13 am »

I don't find this offer attractive at all, as you have to buy the H6D 50c for the (exaggerated) normal price and not for the interesting upgrade price (buy an old H3D and trade it in and save 5.000 EUR or so).

Again the price differential to the 100c will be calculated at the normal price. Much more inter siting to buy the 100c with the upgrade option trading in another camera.

Sure, the expectation to find cheap H6D 50c later on the used market may be something to observe.

But they didn't replace the old policy with a new one... It's an alternative. Think if one can't decide if 50c is enough for him or if he really wants an 100c instead...  Then, there are the respective Phase One CCD offerings where (to their usual practice) they have renamed all CCD backs (of which the CCD sensors are no longer in production - hence there will be no more backs made) to factory refurbished/promo/rental and are trying to find their way to the market through POA pricing... By Hasselblad offering this, they have two gains over P1 sales:
1. To attract the customers that are offered a CCD back from P1 instead of the 100MP Cmos one they want and... 2. To offer them a direct access to the 100MP Sony CMos sensor (which they wanted in the first place) at a (much better) price that is  known to the customer without asking for a down-payment and then a position in a waiting list...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up