Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recommendation for places to purchase a Canon ipf8400?  (Read 4790 times)

niwo

recommendation for places to purchase a Canon ipf8400?
« on: May 08, 2016, 05:48:51 pm »

Hi guys, i am in search of a good vendor or distributor to buy a ipf8400. I see both Lexjet and atlex sell it online for $2,999. Are they reliable and reputable? or is it better to find a local distributor for better services?  really a newbie here and thanks very much for any advise.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: recommendation for places to purchase a Canon ipf8400?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2016, 05:54:24 pm »

Hi guys, i am in search of a good vendor or distributor to buy a ipf8400. I see both Lexjet and atlex sell it online for $2,999. Are they reliable and reputable? or is it better to find a local distributor for better services?  really a newbie here and thanks very much for any advise.

Canon will be bringing out more new wider format printer models in the near future, incorporating newer technology. (Please see my review of Pro-1000 on this website). It may be an idea to await those and then make a purchase decision.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

niwo

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2016, 06:07:20 pm »

Canon will be bringing out more new wider format printer models in the near future, incorporating newer technology. (Please see my review of Pro-1000 on this website). It may be an idea to await those and then make a purchase decision.

Thanks Mark for the advise. I read some discussions here and am aware the new model is coming. However the newer model will come with higher price and I most likely don't need the new features yet, at least for now. The price for 8400 looks quite decent and that's why I am aiming for it.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2016, 06:14:42 pm »

Fair enough; but I have not seen information on the pricing for the forthcoming models. As well, worth considering that it is not so much a matter of new features, but superior inks and technology, so perhaps better print quality. And once the new models appear, the pricing on the older ones may become even better, so my suggestion I think still makes some sense unless you are in a burning rush to buy a printer.

niwo

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 06:42:20 pm »

Fair enough; but I have not seen information on the pricing for the forthcoming models. As well, worth considering that it is not so much a matter of new features, but superior inks and technology, so perhaps better print quality. And once the new models appear, the pricing on the older ones may become even better, so my suggestion I think still makes some sense unless you are in a burning rush to buy a printer.

Understood and thanks again.

In term of vendors, any suggestions?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 07:50:18 pm »

Unless you are speaking of Canada, no, I have no suggestions in respect of vendors; but the printers are backed serviced by the manufacturers or their designated service contractors, so the retailer that sells it to you is useful basically as far as making the sale and perhaps assisting with delivery.

stockjock

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 12:54:33 am »

I bought my iPF8400 from Shades of Paper.  They matched the price and shipping terms of the other vendors and offered a level of personal service that I liked.  I dealt with John jferriola@shadesofpaper.com.  In addition to the price you should also focus on delivery charges and taxes. 

Just as an aside, you do know that the iPF8400 is a massive printer?  It comes on an enormous pallet.  Installing the printer will require a minimum of two strong guys.  Also, there are some significant reasons to prefer the iPF8400 over the iPF6400 if you have the room for it but the pricing on the iPF6400 right now is very attractive.

niwo

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2016, 08:21:11 am »

I bought my iPF8400 from Shades of Paper.  They matched the price and shipping terms of the other vendors and offered a level of personal service that I liked.  I dealt with John jferriola@shadesofpaper.com.  In addition to the price you should also focus on delivery charges and taxes. 

Just as an aside, you do know that the iPF8400 is a massive printer?  It comes on an enormous pallet.  Installing the printer will require a minimum of two strong guys.  Also, there are some significant reasons to prefer the iPF8400 over the iPF6400 if you have the room for it but the pricing on the iPF6400 right now is very attractive.
thanks a lot for the advise and tips. i will reach out to shades of paper. i watched a youtube video of the installation. yes it's a huge machine and need extra hands. it's a big concern for me. wondering if any vendor offers the installation services.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2016, 09:39:12 am »

I'd look towards ItSupplies.com or Atlex.com for the printer.  Tastarsupply.com is another good source.

howardm

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 09:43:17 am »

add shadesofpaper.com to the list.

Peter Mellis

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 11:00:15 am »

I've bought paper and ink from Atlex for years without any issues. Also bought my Epson printer from them. Their prices have always been competitive and shipping was quick and priced fairly.

BillK

• http://
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 11:47:02 am »

Just bought a 8400 about a week ago from http://www.proimagingsupplies.com
$2989 free shipping, ask for Maggie. If you don't have a fork lift or loading dock, you will need to
pay for the delivery truck to have a lift gate. The pallet weighed 475lbs, so no way
you are going to lift it off the truck by hand. I got it in the building with 3 people, 2 need to be
pretty strong, one to position the stand when lowering the printer on to it. 5 would be best.
With 3 its a strain.

The fact that it comes with almost 2k worth of ink makes the current prices very good.
The new Pro 4000 only comes with about half that much ink, and the dealers I have talked to
say the street price will be higher than the current 8400.

Waiting for the Pro 4000 to be released you would run the risk that the 8400's would be gone.
As a business decision it made more sense to me to go with proven technology at a lesser cost, than risk
any possible unknown issues that may come up, because it has not been proven in the publics hands yet.
Kind of a bird in the hand situation for me. I can't afford to have major issues with new technology.
After its been out a year or so with no problems, I would feel much better about buying one.

Its unlikely my customers would be able to tell any difference in quality the new models "MAY" offer.

howardm

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 01:33:27 pm »

Hmmm, off topic a bit but here are the spec's for the new PRO-2000/4000.  This looks like a much better deal for the 24" users (me) than the 44" users.  Only one head and hopefully not 2x PF-05 cost and significantly MORE ink in the box.  Yea, the 44" users are getting screwed on that but as others have said, it's just a business cost and if you're blowing through 330 carts, it's kind of invisible.

BillK

• http://
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2016, 01:44:44 pm »

it's just a business cost and if you're blowing through 330 carts, it's kind of invisible.

Sorry I don't consider almost $1000 difference in ink invisible.  Far from it.

howardm

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2016, 02:32:32 pm »

Sorry, I wasn't trying to trivialize it, it is a good chunk of change.

Landscapes

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2016, 09:26:59 pm »

Hmmm, off topic a bit but here are the spec's for the new PRO-2000/4000.  This looks like a much better deal for the 24" users (me) than the 44" users.  Only one head and hopefully not 2x PF-05 cost and significantly MORE ink in the box.  Yea, the 44" users are getting screwed on that but as others have said, it's just a business cost and if you're blowing through 330 carts, it's kind of invisible.
Thanks for the chart.  It seems like what they did now is equalize the amount of free ink you get between the models.  Although the 8400 users got blessed with full sized carts, myself as a 6400 buyer felt robbed with 90ml carts.  Would it have really been so hard to just give us the full 130ml?  I mean imagine the extra production run they have to do in order to make these same sized carts but with less ink.  (filling a 130ml cart with just 90ml of ink for the new printers)

Anyway, so now it seems like you get an extra 30ml on the bigger model which may very well account for the extra ink necessary for priming of the bigger printer.  It might just be that both printers now will have very similar amounts left in the tanks once the printer is ready to go and hence extra ink will no longer be a factor between the models.

Rob Reiter

• The LightRoom
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2016, 08:39:03 pm »

Purchased an 8100 and 8300 from Lexjet when they were the current model and had it in a couple of days. You will need to specify a truck delivery with or without a tailgate (and pay extra for shipping if you need it.)
http://www.lightroom.com Fine art printi

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 01:44:45 pm »

Due to the extra size ink that now comes with the Pro line, they are providing the 190ml for the certain colors that don't have a dual channel and 330 to the CMY channels in the 8 color unit (hence the 2 different size inks that is stated).

The 12 color models will come with the ink sizes stated in the image referenced.
However, even though the ink level may show low after initializing the printhead, doesn't mean you have that much less ink available.  There is another ink level reader called Reservoir tank which mainly shows the amount of ink in the "tubes" going to the head.  Canon has updated SOO much on the Pro series that it will be very awesome to work with and compete with Epson.  The printers will now use every bit of ink in the cartridge and they are HOT swap-able while the printer is printing.  No need to touch the media when feeding into the printer and the Pro-4000 comes with a take up real that also acts like a second roll holder.  The printer feeds and aligns the media all by itself.

Even though the inks coming with the printer are not as much (330ml) as the iPF x400 series, you're getting another ink size (total of 3 options) along with other great features and additions!

All of the Pro models will use the SAME cartridges (all 3 sizes of 160/330/700ml).

There are still a handful of the 8400's left in the country.
Hope this info helps!
Altex.com

Roscolo

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 02:01:43 pm »

Got one for myself from Pro Imaging Supplies. Also recommended the institution I consult for to buy a few from there as well. And I can recommend Color HQ and LexJet. After problems with several orders I no longer recommend IT Supplies

William Morse

• http://https://MorseEditions.com
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2016, 09:44:20 am »

Unless you're going to save a ton of $$$ elsewhere (don't think you will), Shades of Paper is absolutely the best. Jim Doyle has been with Fine-art printers for as long as they have been around.
Wm. Morse Editions
A Fine-Art Digital Pr
Pages: [1]   Go Up