Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: new Canon 1DX II returned to B&H, CFast slot problem?  (Read 5267 times)

paulbk

new Canon 1DX II returned to B&H, CFast slot problem?
« on: May 05, 2016, 01:10:52 pm »

I had new IDX Mark II (premium kit w/64gb fast card and reader, $5999 US) backordered since B&H opened orders for this camera (Feb. 2016). The camera and kit arrived via UPS Wed. May 4. The box and packaging design is more complex than I like. Carefully unboxed and began putting the camera together:
1.   Inserted the battery, no problem
2.   Turned camera on, no problem
3.   Tried to insert CFast card into slot#2, problem!
4.   CFast card did "feel seated" properly, although the orange lift button did come up a little bit
5.   Note: CFast cards have 2 rows of female contact slots. A long row and short row that mate with male edge contacts within camera's slot#2.
6.   I checked to ensure I was inserting the card with proper orientation. Looking at the back of the camera with eye piece up, the card door is to the right. Insert the card with short row slot down.
7.   Tried several times to insert the card without using too much force. Each time the card felt only partially inserted. The card door made "slight contact" with the top of the card as you closed and latched the door.
8.   Tried: Menu > Format, get message "no card in camera, slot #2"
9.   Called Canon customer service, no real help. They couldn't tell me anything I didn't already know or try. In fact, I knew more about 1D series cameras than they did. (I own 10D, 1D mark II, 1D mark IV, and now 1DX mark II — I shoot sports car races.)
10.    Called B&H customer service. They were professional, listened to me, and issued a return RMA without hassle. B&H will replace the complete order. Although 1DX II's are still backordered.
11.    My complete original order has been returned to B&H via RMA. I just received email confirmation it has arrived at B&H, NYC.
12.    Current status: waiting for replacement
13.    Note: I tested the new CFast card and reader connected to my computer. Seemed to work fine. I was able to copy files to the card, read from the card, and format the card while connected to my computer.
14.   My best guess (suspicion): Problem may be that the slot#2 internal edge connectors are not "perfectly parallel" with insertion axis of the slot. Which would bind and prevent full insertion and complete contact. Only a guess.
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: new Canon 1DX II returned to B&H, CFast slot problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 02:31:13 pm »

An old issue with CF cameras (pins bending). I had it serviced on Canon 40D once.

paulbk

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 04:05:01 pm »

CFast cards do not have "pins" as such. The camera slot internal male parts are "edge connectors". Should be stronger, more ridged, less likely to bend.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 05:06:48 pm by paulbk »
paul b.k.
New England, USA

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2016, 04:20:55 pm »

CFast cards do not have "pins" as such. The internal male parts are "edge connectors". Should be stronger, more ridged, less likely to bend.

Cards do not, camera CF slot does. Pins, "edge connectors," same difference. Maybe less likely to bend, yet they do, occasionally.

paulbk

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2016, 05:11:07 pm »

Questions for new owners of Canon 1Dx Mark II:
1) When both, old standard CF card and new CFast card are inserted, are the tops of both cards level with each other (same height)?
2) When closing the card slot door, does the door "contact" the tops of any card?
Thanks.....

« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 11:53:44 pm by paulbk »
paul b.k.
New England, USA

HKFEVER

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 05:22:02 am »

Questions for new owners of Canon 1Dx Mark II:
1) When both, old standard CF card and new CFast card are inserted, are the tops of both cards level with each other (same height)?
2) When closing the card slot door, does the door "contact" the tops of any card?
Thanks.....

1.  Both cards are level.
2.  Shouldn't touch the cover door.

paulbk

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 09:45:59 am »

Thanks HKFEVER, B&H replaced the first 1DX mkII they sent me without a fuss. The new one works fine. Both cards fit securely and engage deep contacts without problem. Card door does not contact memory cards when closing. Smooth.

fyi.. Love the 1Dx mkII. Far more complex than my 1D mkIV with respect to AF tracking, etc.. Much improved hi-ISO performance. I like!
paul b.k.
New England, USA
Pages: [1]   Go Up