Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sony R1 color saturation  (Read 2122 times)

Locsei Szilard

Sony R1 color saturation
« on: May 24, 2006, 05:54:32 am »

Hi

I have recently purchased a Sony R1 camera and at the moment I am doing all sorts of experimenting with it, trying to accomodate myself to the new behaviours and characteristics, and feel, compared to my old camera ( a Fuji S5500 ).

One thing that puzzles me is that when I am shooting with the AdobeRGB setting, the resulting JPG-images seem to be less saturated than sRGB-shots. Now I learned that AdobeRGB is a better choice, having a larger colorspace, but why is it less saturated ? In-camera saturation is at "normal". Should I set it to "High" saturation for AdobeRGB ? And by the way, how is this possible ?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 05:55:20 am by Locsei Szilard »

jliechty

Sony R1 color saturation
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 12:47:39 pm »

An AdobeRGB-tagged image will appear to have less saturation when viewed in a non-color-managed application. This happens due to the way that the RGB numbers in the image are mapped to represent different colors. For example, if you have something in an sRGB image with a red value of 255 (the maximum), that same color may be represented in an AdobeRGB image with [for the sake of example let us pretend] a red channel value of 230 (leaving the higher values for even more saturated reds). Thus, when viewed in a color management unaware program like the Windows image previewer, this is not taken into account, and the red looks dull.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 12:49:24 pm by jliechty »
Pages: [1]   Go Up