Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: User Presets for Layers  (Read 1383 times)

Christoph B.

User Presets for Layers
« on: April 28, 2016, 04:14:14 am »

So I would like to use certain presets (Skin Tone settings,....) for layers - is this possible at all?

What I'm getting at is this: I mainly work in portrait and fashion/beauty photography, so I rely on working with layers and using Skin Tone adjustments. But when I'm changing the skin tone setting on a layer for one image, I have to apply that change on all other images as well. If I could save the adjustment as a preset that would be very easy and comfortable but all the User Preset options are disables for Layers.

Is there a reason for that? It would seem pretty straight forward to enable those...

If it is indeed impossible - is there another way to copy and paste individual layer settings? I don't want to destroy masks I've already made or change or delete other layers - but that happens when you sync the Local Adjustments for multiple images.

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: User Presets for Layers
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 09:20:10 am »

So I would like to use certain presets (Skin Tone settings,....) for layers - is this possible at all?

What I'm getting at is this: I mainly work in portrait and fashion/beauty photography, so I rely on working with layers and using Skin Tone adjustments. But when I'm changing the skin tone setting on a layer for one image, I have to apply that change on all other images as well. If I could save the adjustment as a preset that would be very easy and comfortable but all the User Preset options are disables for Layers.

Is there a reason for that? It would seem pretty straight forward to enable those...

If it is indeed impossible - is there another way to copy and paste individual layer settings? I don't want to destroy masks I've already made or change or delete other layers - but that happens when you sync the Local Adjustments for multiple images.

Not possible currently.

However there is a pretty effective workflow in which you create a "donor" EIP with a variety of commonly used adjustment layers with empty masks, and then copy apply, and mask in as desired. If desired you can delete the unused layers after, though it's not especially important to do so (unless you are OCD). This is similar to the method you can use to mask in a desired subject matter that is moving between frames (e.g. a skintone adjustment where the model moves within the frame between shots), without needing to reset the actual adjustments being layered in.

We teach such techniques at length in our Capture One Advanced Image Adjustments Classes in New York and LA.

Christoph B.

Re: User Presets for Layers
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 09:45:55 am »

I'm afraid that won't work... that's just too bad  :(

Do you think there's going to be a future release where layer presets are going to be available? After all the menu icon is already there and it should work just like the background presets.
Pages: [1]   Go Up