Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which HDMI monitor for IQ100 CMOS back?  (Read 3679 times)

narikin

Which HDMI monitor for IQ100 CMOS back?
« on: April 26, 2016, 12:13:38 pm »

Wondered if anyone has a recommendation for a small field monitor for focus check on my IQ100 back via the HDMI output?
Be great to have something small, light and bright. I've been to B&H, but got confused by the overwhelming choice.

I have previously done this tethered with USB3/Surface Pro, but would be good to be able to leave that behind, plus it's easier to set focus through HDMI live view (much better that old 'Live View') rather than endless shoot-check-adjust-reshoot-check-adjust... I go through now.

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
Re: Which HDMI monitor for IQ100 CMOS back?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 12:55:21 pm »

I like the SmallHD monitors.  See, https://www.smallhd.com/

The decision for me was between the larger 7" monitor and the 5" monitor.  We had both monitors at the recent Capture Integration in Carmel.  Both have similar feature sets and work great with the IQ3 100 HDMI. Focus peaking works great, btw. Obviously the larger real estate of the 7" monitor is really nice. But I ended up with the smaller 5" monitor with the Sidefinder option.  The 5" monitor is smaller and easier to pack. The 7" monitor doesn't have the Sidefinder option. And to me this clinched the deal. Regardless of screens, glare has always been an issue. That was the biggest challenge for me with the very effective Surface Pro tethered in the field.  The Sidefinder viewer addresses glare in the field.  There are hood type accessories, but I think the Sidefinder option is better.

You can also get HDMI cables with the right connectors so you won't need the little adapter cable from Phase.  Borrowing from my Surface Pro mounting experience, I use a simple Nanoclamp with micro ballhead to attach the monitor to my tripod. QR plate on the Sidefinder.

Ken

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 02:40:36 pm »

Ken,

I have not tried anything with the HDMI side.  When connected, if you zoom on the back's LCD, all this also happens on the 5" monitor also?  The monitor will only be a viewer I also assume?  No abilities to use with C1 like the S3 when tethered? 

Edit:  Ken, you post a pic also?  I should have most of the stuff left over from the S3 mounting up close.  Just trying to get a feel for working on the smallHD via sidefinder, then needing to double tap on the LCD of camera to zoom move etc.  Whereas with the S2 everything is controlled by the screen on the S2 via touch or pen. 

Thanks
Paul C
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 03:02:59 pm by Paul2660 »
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

Ken Doo

• Carmel Fine Art Printing & Reproduction
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 01:08:05 am »

Hi Paul,

Sorry for the crappy phone pix, I've got a lot of fires to tend to at the moment---it doesn't help that I still stumble around trying to use my camera phone.  Zooming in to 100% via HDMI is done through a simple setting on the HDMI screen on the IQ3 MFDB. Limited controls here. You have the ability to easily focus, focus peaking, zebra settings, and zoom into 100%, but not dragging your finger around to pinpoint a part of the image---at least not by HDMI. No C1 Pro here with the HDMI connected. I simply use the Sidefinder or I can swing the monitor open for viewing. SmallHD includes a tiny wireless remote so you can also access all features on the monitor when using the Sidefinder without having to swing the monitor open to access the controls.

Here, the 5" SmallHD monitor with optional Sidefinder is attached with a AS compatible quick release plate, lever release top clamp, and Giottos mini ball head attached to a Manfrotto Nano clamp.  I put gaffers tape on the tripod legs to protect the legs and also it seems to provide a better grip surface for the clamp. The RRS BH-25 is a stronger ball head to use if desired.  This is a really inexpensive mounting option compared to some of the other rail options I've seen. Although my XF is used here, the purpose really is to use the HDMI feature with my Cambo. I chose to mount the SmallHD on the tripod leg because if I used the cold shoe, the Sidefinder would sit about a foot too high----problematic for the height challenged.  :o  I can easily focus using the Sidefinder and reaching around to turn the focus ring on the lens.  This works really really well.  The Surface Pro will travel now doing light duty and emails, and replaced by the SmallHD in the field.  Do you need it---no. But it's nice to have options. Kudos to Phase One.  :)

ken

p.s.  I'll place bets that a future firmware update brings focus peaking to live view on the IQ3 100MP..... :)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 01:14:28 am by Ken Doo »

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 08:30:17 am »

Ken:

Thanks, for the pics and details.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

narikin

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 09:44:41 am »

Thanks Ken, I already looked at the 5" SmallHD sidefinder, and while there's much about it to like (zero glare, hi res screen, eyepiece view, etc) I was disappointed how big it is. This is quite a massive 'finder' hard to imagine anyone walking around with one on any kind of MF camera. Look at it in realition to the Arca Cube in your images - it's *huge*! It's also pricey at $1500 for the basic complete unit, and they are super tight on registering it/ hardware etc. B&H wouldn't even open the box (another retailer would though, but couldn't demo due to software registration locks).  For these reasons, I was erring towards a small $300-400 5/7" portable monitor screen, rather than SmallHD.

I'm hopeful also that Phase One will improve the HDMI firmware on the IQ100 series - it really should have the ability to simply mirror the back with it's tap to 100% on any point. Pretty poor you can't move the 100% scaled view about the image area.  :-[ 

Or maybe Phase will release their own HDMI finder, rebranding some quality Sony or Panasonic EVF or something? I hope so.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 10:40:04 am »

Still a bit confused,

With the monitor attached, if you move around on the LCD of the Phase back with your finger, won't this show also on the HDMI monitor?  Also once you 2x tap the Phase screen, should also be able to see the view at 100% on the HDMI?

Thanks
Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 03:43:51 pm »

No it won't.

Christopher Hauser
ch@chauser.eu
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 04:06:37 pm »

Christopher

Want won't work?  The double tap zoom on the back LCD to zoom showing on the HDMI? Or moving around at a 100% zoom on the back LCD not showing on the HDMI, or both? 

I had assumed as the HDMI is just just showing a video feed from the back LCD that whatever was done on the back scree will show on the HDMI monitor.

Thanks

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

narikin

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2016, 04:39:29 pm »

Christopher

Want won't work?  The double tap zoom on the back LCD to zoom showing on the HDMI? Or moving around at a 100% zoom on the back LCD not showing on the HDMI, or both? 

I had assumed as the HDMI is just just showing a video feed from the back LCD that whatever was done on the back scree will show on the HDMI monitor.

Paul C

Neither.
Completely different pipelines apparently. The HDMI output is *not* a mirror of the back screen - it is its own thing.
I would love the option to have it do that, but it isn't available.

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 04:45:46 pm »

Thanks.

A bit strange design?  At least to me.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

narikin

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 05:52:37 pm »

Thanks.

A bit strange design?  At least to me.

Paul C

well, yes, but the HDMI output is vastly better than regular old Live View output, 'night an day' difference, so if they can get it to be work with mirroring the touchscreen, or at least its own 100% zoom and select position, then it will be a far superior solution

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 06:13:57 pm »

well, yes, but the HDMI output is vastly better than regular old Live View output, 'night an day' difference, so if they can get it to be work with mirroring the touchscreen, or at least its own 100% zoom and select position, then it will be a far superior solution

video people want clean HDMI out, because you then stick a recorder on it.
usually cameras provide a choice of back display or clean video out.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 06:54:33 pm »

Narkin, thanks.  I am obvious a bit dense with video. 

So the HDMI is only going to send the Live View feed from the back? 

Does the HDMI output avoid the lag times as you zoom in and out on the LCD of the camera? or move around once zoomed into 100%?  Just trying to get a feel for it. 

Also, sorry to be redundant, but how do you zoom around on the HDMI output on the 5" monitor?  With controls on the 5" monitor itself?  Ken mentioned a small wifi device that comes with the monitor to allow using the monitor controls when the side finder is over the monitor.

Thanks to all.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 08:07:35 pm »

Paul,

Small video field monitors will have integrated tools like zoom, pan and various video histogram-like aids. Of course this will only give you a 2K or 4K-level zoom if you look at a clean HDMI feed.

Edmund

Narkin, thanks.  I am obvious a bit dense with video. 

So the HDMI is only going to send the Live View feed from the back? 

Does the HDMI output avoid the lag times as you zoom in and out on the LCD of the camera? or move around once zoomed into 100%?  Just trying to get a feel for it. 

Also, sorry to be redundant, but how do you zoom around on the HDMI output on the 5" monitor?  With controls on the 5" monitor itself?  Ken mentioned a small wifi device that comes with the monitor to allow using the monitor controls when the side finder is over the monitor.

Thanks to all.

Paul C
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald
Pages: [1]   Go Up