Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: ACR, Lightroom 6, and Nikon D500 Raw files  (Read 9165 times)

Colorado David

ACR, Lightroom 6, and Nikon D500 Raw files
« on: April 26, 2016, 11:05:50 am »

I realize I will need to move to the CC subscription at some point, but I'm trying to put it off for the time being. What I need to know is if the buy out version of LR6 will include the ACR version that can process the latest Nikon raws? Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 11:12:17 am by Colorado David »

dwswager

Re: ACR, Lightroom 6, and Nikon D500 Raw files
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 12:44:13 pm »

Yes.  Version 6.5 includes support for the D5 and D500.

I recently purchased the CC Photography Extortion Plan for $7.99/month.  I previously utilized Photoshop CS6.  ACR 9.5 also now supports them too.

BTW, there is a benefit to having access to Bridge, ACR and Photoshop, in addition to LR.  There are things that can be done in Bridge that are a goat rope in LR.  And PS still houses the best functionality for Plug-Ins. 

aderickson

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 12:26:22 pm »

BTW, there is a benefit to having access to Bridge, ACR and Photoshop, in addition to LR.  There are things that can be done in Bridge that are a goat rope in LR.  And PS still houses the best functionality for Plug-Ins.

Bridge is available free of charge. You have to join CC but you do not have to pay for any plan. I use Photoshop Elements to run plugins. It doesn't run them all but a good number of them.

Allan

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 02:48:00 pm »

Bridge is available free of charge. You have to join CC but you do not have to pay for any plan. I use Photoshop Elements to run plugins. It doesn't run them all but a good number of them.

Allan

+1  I didn't know that!  But I think it is somewhat mute as the original poster is committed to Light room already.  So the decision is LR perpetual licence for $140 or the Photography CC plan for $7.99-$9.99 per month.

But knowing this means I could put Bridge on my wife's computer to see my images without having to jump through hoops.

Thanks!

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 02:48:31 pm »

Explain that one more time. You can just join CC without buying a plan and use Bridge and ACR free?

Colorado David

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 02:50:39 pm »

No, I'm not committed to Lightroom. I was trying to determine if purchasing the buy out Lr would forestall having to sign up for the CC subscription plan.

aderickson

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 04:27:13 pm »

Explain that one more time. You can just join CC without buying a plan and use Bridge and ACR free?

Not ACR, just Bridge. Once you join CC (without signing up for a plan) you should find an option to download Bridge.

Note: even though Photoshop Elements contains a limited edition of ACR you can not edit in ACR from Bridge. You have to have the full Photoshop.

Allan

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 05:49:53 pm »

No, I'm not committed to Lightroom. I was trying to determine if purchasing the buy out Lr would forestall having to sign up for the CC subscription plan.

You need to look at the situation from a different perspective.
a. Adobe does not offer a Lightroom Creative Cloud package.
b. What they offer is a Photoshop Creative Cloud "Photographers package". The principal component of this package is Photoshop CC2015 which has Bridge and ACR 9.5 (latest version) Plugin. In addition Lightroom CC 2015.5 is also available with this package "free gratis". This is a no brainer for Adobe since the two major functions, the Library and Develop Modules are just an alternative to Bridge and the ACR Plugin.
c. Adobe also offers Lightroom 6.5 as a paid stand alone application which has the equivalent of ACR 9.5 builtin. However some of the  recently added functions like the dehaze function is not activated in the standalone application. All the new camera and lens support are available.
d. Lightroom is a complete application and does not require that you have any other Adobe product installed on your computer for it to function.

So if you do not require the Photoshop Creative Cloud plan you can utilise Lightroom 6.5 as an alternative to Bridge and ACR 9.5 and utilise an earlier version of Photoshop e.g CS 6 (the latest version of ACR available is 9.1.1) or Photoshop Elements 14 as your primary editing software application.
Obviously if you do not subscribe to one of the Creative Cloud packages then the functions that are only offered there will not be available to you. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 06:04:06 pm by Denis de Gannes »
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Colorado David

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2016, 09:30:32 pm »

Well, I've pretty much come to grips with having to buy into the subscription.  I use Bridge and Photoshop CS6 now.  It won't kill me to pay for the photographer's package.  What does burn my butt is that to add an application to the base bundle is another $20. The package that includes everything is $50 per month.  I don't need or want every application, but I would like to add After Effects. I use After Effects almost every day.

dwswager

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 11:29:13 am »

Well, I've pretty much come to grips with having to buy into the subscription.  I use Bridge and Photoshop CS6 now.  It won't kill me to pay for the photographer's package.  What does burn my butt is that to add an application to the base bundle is another $20. The package that includes everything is $50 per month.  I don't need or want every application, but I would like to add After Effects. I use After Effects almost every day.

It is what it is and I don't like it either, but Adobe can do as they please with their intellectual property.  I dislike upgrading.  Once I learn where the tools are and how to work with them, I don't want to have to relearn interfaces unless there is some big payoff.  Why I normally only upgraded every other generation with Photoshop.

I do see the Wisdom in the bundling BR/ACR/PS & LR all in one though.  I'm not a big LR fan, but the DAM features are useful for most people if you are willing to conform to their workflow model and work around the limitations.
Pages: [1]   Go Up