Author Topic: 3  (Read 1626 times)

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« on: April 22, 2016, 07:33:48 am »

Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

Re: 3
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2016, 10:13:32 am »

If you'd had a longer lens, Russ, you could have got a good one of the two blondes after all!

The walker on the left thinks that's what you're after, anyway. Enough to make him think of buying a camera and living in hope, I bet.

;-)

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2016, 11:38:29 am »

Great shot!
I'm just wondering if you did something funny with the far right of the curve: the edge of the lit areas on the side of the waiter's face looks a little strange, as though there was some "almost-posterization" as you get when the curve goes nearly horizontal.
Or it could be the compression to put it on this site, or my monitor, or my eyes... :-)

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 02:07:38 pm »

Great shot!
I'm just wondering if you did something funny with the far right of the curve: the edge of the lit areas on the side of the waiter's face looks a little strange, as though there was some "almost-posterization" as you get when the curve goes nearly horizontal.
Or it could be the compression to put it on this site, or my monitor, or my eyes... :-)

Where is the waiter? Has he subsequently been PS'd out?

Rob

RSL

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 02:09:00 pm »

Thanks, Graham. I don't see the posterization, but I miss a lot of crap like that. Let's see if anybody else sees it. Except for the B&W conversion with Silver Efex Pro 2, the picture is almost exactly as it came out of the camera. A very small bit of sharpening. ISO 400, 125 sec, f/8, with my new Pen-F -- Leica DG Summilux 25mm lens. Any artifacts probably came from the raw to jpeg conversion.

And Rob, the walker on the left is the waiter, and he got to ogle those girls up close. I could only do it from a distance.

Rob C

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 03:32:19 pm »

Thanks, Graham. I don't see the posterization, but I miss a lot of crap like that. Let's see if anybody else sees it. Except for the B&W conversion with Silver Efex Pro 2, the picture is almost exactly as it came out of the camera. A very small bit of sharpening. ISO 400, 125 sec, f/8, with my new Pen-F -- Leica DG Summilux 25mm lens. Any artifacts probably came from the raw to jpeg conversion.

And Rob, the walker on the left is the waiter, and he got to ogle those girls up close. I could only do it from a distance.

Oh, I didn't realise that - didn't imagine he was holding a bill - I was looking for a sort of uniform indicating function.

I had a look at your camera on the Internet just now - seems rather a cute bundle and small. However, any temptations for it or anything else are delayed for the moment: my watch went into a serious slowing down mode yesterday afternoon, and that means a return to Switzerland for it and probably another bill numerically higher than the damned thing cost me to buy in '72! Oh well, what's the alternative but to use the cellphone? I used to have an old family pocket watch, but that's long gone (stunned silence were I to withdraw that from a pocket during a coffee somewhere), and all the other old wrist ones that got replaced over the years ended up junked. Which, of course, is why they were replaced in the first place. Oh well.

Rob

RSL

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 03:49:42 pm »

That's bad news, my friend. Hope you can make the trip without too much financial pain.

For seven years I've used an Olympus E-P1 with a 50mm Leica bright-line finder for a lot of street shooting. Small and unobtrusive. 12 mpx. I used to let its ISO top out at 1600. Anything over that introduced too much noise. I bought the Summilux for that camera. Loved the combination. Still do, though I think I'll either put the body with the 17mm f/2.8 that came with it on the market or give it to a son or grandson or granddaughter. The Pen-F shoots 20 mpx, has a quick, bright EVF, and I can let it top out at ISO 6400. Those extra two stops help, and not having to use the auxiliary finder is a plus. When I saw the black version of the thing I couldn't resist. Switched the lens, and the new body gets the most out of it.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 05:44:38 pm »

Russ,

This one would be great for a caption contest.

I read the waiter as a professional hitman, holding his "task' list in hand and thinking, "No, not yet. I have to do numbers one and two first."

Fine shot. I'm glad to see you back where you can catch these priceless human moments.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 09:48:12 am »

That's bad news, my friend. Hope you can make the trip without too much financial pain.
quote]

And it just got worse: I went with this girl I'd photographed in January to a country house belonging to her friend, a house she said was 'quaint, old-fashioned'. Except it wasn't: it was one of those redesigned modern conversions, great for living but nothing much for pictures meant to evoke olden times...

On the way home, just as we crossed the cattle grid at the end of the driveway, I managed to make contact with the steel upright that holds the gates when they are closed. How I didn't make contact with it on the way in, I have no idea. Anyway, it's ripped the plastic underpan from the bottom of the engine except for the rear fitting, and I couldn't reach that to take the hanging structure off. So, I drove back into the town to the sound of plastic ripping itself to bits on rough country lanes. I parked at the Ford garage and hope the thing doesn't get vandalised between today and Monday. I also have a medical appointment on Monday morning which will now entail a half-hour's walk.

There are days one should have stayed in bed; those supermodels had it right: ten thousand bucks or forget getting up!

Rob

RSL

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2016, 03:26:14 pm »

Problem is, Rob, like me, you're getting too old to be driving these hot babes around. You get distracted and look what happens.

Sorry to hear about the disaster. Between the watch running slow and the car dragging plastic you're having a bad week.

kencameron

• Recent Photographs
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2016, 08:18:39 pm »

The expressions are what make this one for me - the open-mouthed girl at the focal point of the image and the "waiter" who seems to be somewhere else, as a certain kind of really cool waiter too often is.

Added: you could run a competition for an alternative title (although "3" is a perfectly fine title). What did her friend say to her that opened her mouth like that? 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2016, 02:30:33 am by kencameron »
Ken Cameron

RSL

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 09:27:28 am »

Hi Ken,

As Cartier-Bresson said, "It's always luck. It's luck that matters. You have to be receptive, that's all." I was lucky with the expressions on the faces, and I was lucky with the body language of the waiter. I clicked the shutter at that instant (the "decisive moment," which is when the photographer has made his decision, not when something in particular happens in the scene) because the composition felt in balance. In this kind of street photography there's no way you can absorb all the details, like the girl's open mouth. You have to be receptive, that's all. I think that's what Rob was suggesting to Stamper in "Confusion on the Ground." You can't hunt for a picture like this. You simply have to be there with a camera in hand and, above all, be looking. Considering some of his fine grabs, I think Stamper knows that.

I had a very lucky day that day. I shot "3," (Yes, I can think of at least a half dozen other titles without risking a hernia) and "Confusion on the Ground," within an hour of each other. There were others I like, but not enough to post. Usually, when I spend a half day on the street, in stores, and in a restaurant, I come home with a couple dozen frames and dump 'em all. Street's not like landscape, where you can be out there freezing your butt off before dawn but be reasonably sure you're going to get what you came for.

The girl was yakking full speed. I think I caught her mouth open for a word.

By the way, referring to what I said in "On Street Photography" (https://luminous-landscape.com/on-street-photography/), this is one that's eminently showable but not one upon which I'd hang my reputation as a street photographer.

stamper

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 09:47:49 am »

First up, this is a fine image.

Both images are very likeable. I have tried to capture this kind of image myself and I am lucky if one in a hundred is worthwhile.

That's your basic problem, stamper: you can't capture as in hunt. You have to wait for the things to come to you. Trying it the other way around will give you ulcers and waste your shoes. The most you can do is be available.

Rob

This is the quote that Rob was referring to. He took it too literally imo. I wasn't referring to a hunt when I said capture. I do like every other photographer does when doing street. I merely walk around and "see" what is happening and if I see something interesting then I click the shutter. Nothing more, nothing less. :)

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=110001.msg905189#msg905189

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2016, 09:51:52 am »

Hi Ken,

As Cartier-Bresson said, "It's always luck. It's luck that matters. You have to be receptive, that's all." I was lucky with the expressions on the faces, and I was lucky with the body language of the waiter. I clicked the shutter at that instant (the "decisive moment," which is when the photographer has made his decision, not when something in particular happens in the scene) because the composition felt in balance. In this kind of street photography there's no way you can absorb all the details, like the girl's open mouth. You have to be receptive, that's all. I think that's what Rob was suggesting to Stamper in "Confusion on the Ground." You can't hunt for a picture like this. You simply have to be there with a camera in hand and, above all, be looking. Considering some of his fine grabs, I think Stamper knows that.

I had a very lucky day that day. I shot "3," (Yes, I can think of at least a half dozen other titles without risking a hernia) and "Confusion on the Ground," within an hour of each other. There were others I like, but not enough to post. Usually, when I spend a half day on the street, in stores, and in a restaurant, I come home with a couple dozen frames and dump 'em all. Street's not like landscape, where you can be out there freezing your butt off before dawn but be reasonably sure you're going to get what you came for.

The girl was yakking full speed. I think I caught her mouth open for a word.

By the way, referring to what I said in "On Street Photography" (https://luminous-landscape.com/on-street-photography/), this is one that's eminently showable but not one upon which I'd hang my reputation as a street photographer.

I applaud your honesty regarding the hand of Dame Fortune in these matters! Not everybody comes clean.

Regarding the line I've marked in bold: Yes, that's right, but slightly different, too: I wasn't thinking of street as in people, but as in what I like to call glimpsed parallels, where it isn't much about people doing anything at all, but objects in unlikely modes having centre stage rights. I do respect stamper's ability with the other, more commonly recognized/understood meaning or sense of 'street'; I wouldn't have presumed to lecture him at all on that. I hope, in retrospect, he didn't take it that way. You never can tell, on the web; ask any spider.

;-)

Rob

stamper

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2016, 10:42:41 am »

No problems Rob, just a slight misunderstanding. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up