Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The Nikon D500 release  (Read 8999 times)

Colorado David

The Nikon D500 release
« on: April 20, 2016, 12:13:51 pm »

Tomorrow is supposed to be the day. I haven't heard anything about the release yet. I still entertain this vague hope that Nikon has used all this time to frontload the queue.  I realize that's probably a fantasy. Has anyone who has pre-ordered the Nikon D 500 heard anything about a shipping date?

Chris Livsey

Re: The Nikon D500 release
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 04:33:28 pm »

I have a pre-order placed early (within two days of announcement), none NPS member, nothing heard, UK based.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 08:26:10 pm »

Official date is Apr-28 in Tokyo.

Cheers,
Bernard

dwswager

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 07:22:48 am »

Tomorrow is supposed to be the day. I haven't heard anything about the release yet. I still entertain this vague hope that Nikon has used all this time to frontload the queue.  I realize that's probably a fantasy. Has anyone who has pre-ordered the Nikon D 500 heard anything about a shipping date?

I preordered from Amazon on 7 February and Amazon tracking estimate is that I will receive my D500 on Wednesday 27 April.  From what I can tell, that means it is expected to ship on Monday, 25 April.  Guess I should add non-NPS so I got no priority from Nikon's side.  I am a long time Amazon prime user and spend loads of money with them yearly, but I doubt that gets me anything from the Amazon side!

Apparently, they did a good job with the roll out and the used the month delay for product accumulation for a smoother rollout.  That, combined with a staggered release schedule around the world seems to be working much better than the D800 roll out.  Now if the camera performs....
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 07:26:31 am by dwswager »

Colorado David

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2016, 08:01:54 am »

Well that's odd. I'm not NPS. I ordered in January and have not received the shipping date email. However when I check my Amazon order status on my phone it's says Delivered, but here is no tracking detail and it's definitely not here. I'm not a Prime member, but I've ordered a lot of stuff from Amazon for many years. I wish they'd just communicate.

dwswager

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2016, 08:30:10 am »

Well that's odd. I'm not NPS. I ordered in January and have not received the shipping date email. However when I check my Amazon order status on my phone it's says Delivered, but here is no tracking detail and it's definitely not here. I'm not a Prime member, but I've ordered a lot of stuff from Amazon for many years. I wish they'd just communicate.

First, this item from Amazon requires a signature for delivery.  So I assume that is an error in the system, but I would contact Amazon immediately.

Second, I did not get any notification from Amazon.  When Amazon changed the item from Pre-Order to Temporarily Out Of Stock, I started checking the order status.  Last night it showed with a shipping estimate.  Important point being ESTIMATE.  It may or may not actually ship Monday.

Finally, I do have shipping and delivery notifications enabled.  When it actually ships, I will get an email from Amazon.  For something like this, I will probably redirect it to the local FedEx or UPS location based on how it ships.  As long as they don't use that damn SurePost service from the post office, I'm in good shape.

dwswager

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2016, 10:05:46 am »

When you just have to have it now, you can always go to Ebay and pay $1000 over list price for it!  LMAO.  Though I think it brings up the point that Nikon underpriced this thing because they really did under-estimate demand.

sjphotos

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2016, 11:55:19 am »

Ordered mine the day after release. Received an email from B&H today saying my D500 was shipped and I will get it Tuesday April 26th. I am in CA.

Colorado David

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 03:54:38 pm »

I received my email saying it will be delivered tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to it.

dwswager

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 07:30:01 pm »

I received my email saying it will be delivered tomorrow.  I'm looking forward to it.

Excellent.  I'm expecting mine on Wednesday 27 April 2016.  If that occurs, I tip my hat to Nikon and Amazon for decent roll out of a much anticipated and high demand release.!

Got a shipping notice from Amazon last night (Sunday, 24 April 2016)!  Now if the camera performs anywhere near expectations, life will be good.  It will be great to get back to a FX/DX (D810/D500) pair for shooting.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 08:36:07 am by dwswager »

Chris Livsey

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2016, 01:41:33 pm »

Arrives tomorrow 28th, the dealer, UK Nikon Pro, received 9 cameras today.

dwswager

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2016, 02:43:41 pm »

Arrives tomorrow 28th, the dealer, UK Nikon Pro, received 9 cameras today.

I have tried to mute my expectations, all I really wanted was DX body with high ISO somewhere in the vicinity of my D810.   But based on stuff I'm reading, the D500 looks like a winner.  High ISO noise looks like it beats the full frame D810 and focus tracking beats the D4 and 7DmkII.  I can live with that!! 

armand

• Photos
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2016, 03:10:24 pm »

I have tried to mute my expectations, all I really wanted was DX body with high ISO somewhere in the vicinity of my D810.   But based on stuff I'm reading, the D500 looks like a winner.  High ISO noise looks like it beats the full frame D810 and focus tracking beats the D4 and 7DmkII.  I can live with that!!

Maybe at pixel level is better than D810, I doubt that when they are adjusted for the same size the D500 is ahead.

dwswager

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2016, 04:26:46 pm »

Maybe at pixel level is better than D810, I doubt that when they are adjusted for the same size the D500 is ahead.

But I will have less cropping due to the 1.5x sensor crop and get the center sweet spot of the lens covering most of the image area.

armand

• Photos
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 09:26:32 pm »

Try the raw comparison, the D500 has better jpeg engine.

shadowblade

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 11:34:54 pm »

How is the AF and tracking?

For a body whose primary pro-level application will be shooting wildlife at sports with long lenses, where full-frame bodies would be focal-length-limited anyway, that's probably the most important thing.

dwswager

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2016, 07:28:10 am »

Unboxed and played with the D500 last night.  This is one Bad A$$ little camera.  Even got Snapbridge to work.

+1 on checking RAW vs JPEG for noise.  And the reason it would have a better JPEG process would be the Expeed 5 vs 4 capability.  Other than the image sensor, the processor in a camera is the most important aspect.  It is what makes all other functionality possible. Including AF Tracking.

How is the AF and tracking?

For a body whose primary pro-level application will be shooting wildlife at sports with long lenses, where full-frame bodies would be focal-length-limited anyway, that's probably the most important thing.

Pretty decent, so far as I have tested, which isn't much.  Seems better than my D810, but again, not much experience yet.  Will shoot a High School Softball game (#1 team in the state) tonight to test it out.  From what I've gathered from others, including personal contacts it seems to trail slightly behind the D5 (general impression, not data related), but beats the D4 and 7DmkII.  No mention of the 1Dx was made to me, but I guess the 7DmkII is it's direct competitor.

Oh, and though it is targeted at sports and wildlife, and I wouldn't pop the extra over a D7200 if you don't need that capability, there is nothing about the camera that doesn't make it the best DX general purpose camera in the Nikon line, maybe in any line.

I do have a couple complaints...more preference differences.  First, it needed XQD for the shooting speed and I find at this point, I would have preferred dual XQD slots.  I liked the D810 with 1CF/1SD, but that was only because I already had significant investment in high speed CF and SD.  I understand why SD is there, but for most, they will be using XQD at least as overflow or backup and if you already have to deal with it and the reader requirements, you might as well just use it.  I also don't like the moving of buttons around.  Yes, the ISO button belongs on the right hand side, but why the missing AF-L/AE-L lock button?  I back button focus, but still used it from time to time.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 08:17:40 am by dwswager »

shadowblade

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2016, 08:25:02 am »

Oh, and though it is targeted at sports and wildlife, and I wouldn't pop the extra over a D7200 if you don't need that capability, there is nothing about the camera that doesn't make it the best DX general purpose camera in the Nikon line, maybe in any line.

Thing is, that's the only real professional/high-end use for the camera. If you didn't specifically need the frame rate and pixel density, you'd probably get a D810 (for non-action/slow action) or D5 (for fast action without focal length concerns) instead.

Yes, it's likely the best APS-C camera out there. But, outside of a few specific circumstances (focal length limited), APS-C is, these days, basically a consumer-grade format.

dwswager

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2016, 09:59:43 am »

Thing is, that's the only real professional/high-end use for the camera. If you didn't specifically need the frame rate and pixel density, you'd probably get a D810 (for non-action/slow action) or D5 (for fast action without focal length concerns) instead.

Yes, it's likely the best APS-C camera out there. But, outside of a few specific circumstances (focal length limited), APS-C is, these days, basically a consumer-grade format.

Agree in principle, and that has certainly been Nikon's take that DX was consumer and FX for pros, but for long lens shooters it is all about getting pixels on target both on the sensor and in the viewfinder.

shadowblade

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2016, 10:30:24 am »

Agree in principle, and that has certainly been Nikon's take that DX was consumer and FX for pros, but for long lens shooters it is all about getting pixels on target both on the sensor and in the viewfinder.

Exactly - which is why I'm saying its only real professional use is  with long lenses. It's the only area where it is the best tool for the job and not surpassed by a full-frame body.

Even then, it depends a lot on the resolution and AF performance of the D810's successor. As the D500 has only 20MP, the D810 successor is almost certain to give you more pixels on target than the D500 (it would need 45MP to do so), while retaining the flexibility in cropping and framing that full-frame brings. It would almost certainly lose out on the frame rate, but, for many wildlife photographers, the added flexibility will outweigh the loss of frame rate.

I'd really love to see a D5x, based around a 54-80MP sensor and the D5's AF system and mirror mechanics. 80MP and 3.5fps at full resolution, mRAW/pixel-binning modes at 40MP/7fps and 20MP/14fps, and 1.5x crop mode at 35MP/8-10fps. Perfect for those long shooting trips where you could find yourself shooting everything and anything...
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up