Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A different view of Mirror Lake  (Read 2138 times)

Jens Peermann

A different view of Mirror Lake
« on: April 19, 2016, 11:15:35 pm »

Mirror Lake in Yosemite Park got it's name from the reflection of Half Dome on its surface, which is also the most popular subject along the Tenaya River for photographers. Last Saturday I decided to look the other way and found this. The light that came through the canopy hit just the right spots. I underexposed by a stop and increased contrast in post, which gives it a nice, mysterious fairy tale look. Stare at it long enough and you'll start seeing Hobbits.

A7II, 100/2 ZE @ f/2.8

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 11:19:03 pm by Jens Peermann »

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: A different view of Mirror Lake
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 04:03:57 am »

Good light, golden quality. How does it work if you crop it to panorama format, to get rid of the darker bottom?

stamper

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 04:17:37 am »

I think it is too cluttered to work. The eye can't find a place to rest on.

Jens Peermann

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 08:19:24 am »

How does it work if you crop it to panorama format, to get rid of the darker bottom?

It will lose it's depth and feel of mystery. The dark part is very important; it make the lighted areas stand out.

Jens Peermann

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 08:20:25 am »

I think it is too cluttered to work. The eye can't find a place to rest on.

Resting eyes are sleeping eyes. This image keeps them awake with lots to explore.

KMRennie

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2016, 11:24:21 am »

I love the top 3/4 of the image. I just wish that the slightly out of focus rock at the bottom left was not there or was in focus.
Ken

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2016, 02:47:47 pm »

The upper part with branch and light is interesting, but the lower half of indistinct shapes near darkness dominates in an unwanted way and doesn't support the content of upper half - potentially be more successful with the bottom third cropped off.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 02:51:34 pm »

I agree with brandt on this. The upper half has lovely light and works well on its own. The lower is dark and blurred; I don't find it adds anything to the image overall.

Jeremy

graeme

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 04:11:34 pm »

If you don't want to crop the image it might be worth darkening all the highlights & midtones on the out of focus log so it doesn't stand out as much. & maybe make it less blue.

Like this:( I levelled it a bit as well-Lightroom upright auto )
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:41:18 pm by graeme »

graeme

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2016, 04:13:58 pm »

Or this: Content aware fill, curves layer brushed in & a very slight crop. I can see why you're attached to the image.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:41:54 pm by graeme »

Jens Peermann

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2016, 12:42:47 pm »

If you don't want to crop the image it might be worth darkening all the highlights & midtones on the out of focus log so it doesn't stand out as much. & maybe make it less blue.

Like this:( I levelled it a bit as well-Lightroom upright auto )

Thank you graeme for bringing to my attention that my images can and will be downloaded and manipulated, including removing the signature, without even asking for permission. I have consequently removed all files of images posted on this site from my server and will refrain from posting new ones in the future.

graeme

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2016, 02:55:33 pm »

Thank you graeme for bringing to my attention that my images can and will be downloaded and manipulated, including removing the signature, without even asking for permission. I have consequently removed all files of images posted on this site from my server and will refrain from posting new ones in the future.

Jens

I apologise if I caused any offence to you. When images are posted on this forum forum members do often respond with their own edited version of the posted image. My bad for inadvertently removing your signature when I cropped the image. Seriously though, these are web sized images about 1000px across & once you post anything on the web it's out of your hands to some extent.

Best wishes

Graeme

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2016, 05:42:04 pm »

Jens,

I will miss seeing your beautiful work here.

I am sure Graeme meant no harm, and posting smaller images does offer some protection.

In my own experience I am aware of only one use of one of my online photos without permission, and that person did at least give me credit. I have also been asked for permission to use one of my images in a film, and I was paid for that, and even paid more the next year to grant additional rights.

The most painful misuse of one of my photos was many years before the Digital era. Someone broke a window in my car to steal a framed print. I would be flattered except that it was wrapped up so they couldn't see what it was.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)
Pages: [1]   Go Up