Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3200 24in - Status Unavailable  (Read 3546 times)

PeterOReilly

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
HP Z3200 24in - Status Unavailable
« on: April 19, 2016, 01:49:28 pm »

Hi

I just upgraded my Windows PC from Windows 7 to Windows 10 (64-bit), and now when I try to access the printer in HP Utility or try to print with QImage, I get a message saying "Status and Service unavailable. Device may be offline or unreachable at this time". I've tried uninstalling the printer and re-installing it, and have downloaded and installed the latest drivers. The printer shows up in the Control Panel OK, and is connected to the computer by USB.

Anybody have any ideas how to resolve this?

Thanks
Peter
Logged

PeterOReilly

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
Re: HP Z3200 24in - Status Unavailable
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 04:10:36 pm »

When I search for Windows 10 drivers on the HP site, it comes up with the drivers which I have installed.
Logged

Mark Lindquist

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1600
  • it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: HP Z3200 24in - Status Unavailable
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 06:04:40 pm »

The Utility does not like USB.  Try hooking up via a network or use a crossover cable.

Remember that the printer uses a browser as the embedded web server and that would be Windows explorer.

Once you are on a LAN - check the printer IP address on the front console of the printer and make sure the port on the driver is set to the IP address.

Also, if you need information you can find everything you need to know by going to info once you are on the local area network:

How to find information about your Z Series Printer

If you don't have a network - just go buy a switch then hook into to your internet source, then hook the printer into the switch.

As mentioned earlier, you can get a crossover cable and run it out of the LAN connection in the back of the computer.

The utility just does not like USB.

-Mark
Logged
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

deanwork

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2400
Re: HP Z3200 24in - Status Unavailable
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 06:04:49 pm »

That means no. Kinda sad when an HP computer can't talk to an HP printer. I'm sure it is the same with the newer Mac OS. Hp is just sad when it comes to software updates, and their website will give you a migraine. A high tech company with a website like that does need to be broken up into two parts :-).

That is why I'm still on Windows 7. I don't trust anything beyond that.

 Did you call HP support in Costa Rica or where ever they are now?

If they are going to keep selling this printer or update it to a new model they better get it together.

John


When I search for Windows 10 drivers on the HP site, it comes up with the drivers which I have installed.
Logged

deanwork

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2400
Re: HP Z3200 24in - Status Unavailable
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 06:08:49 pm »

Really? That's good to know. I've been using usb for several years. Maybe I'd better go back to the network. I don't like having my Macs on a network with my PC for virus reasons and I use the Pc for the Z because of Q-Image.

I wonder if that is why my calibration is failing?

------------

The utility just does not like USB.

-Mark
[/quote]
Logged

Mark Lindquist

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1600
  • it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: HP Z3200 24in - Status Unavailable
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 06:37:55 pm »

Really? That's good to know. I've been using usb for several years. Maybe I'd better go back to the network. I don't like having my Macs on a network with my PC for virus reasons and I use the Pc for the Z because of Q-Image.

I wonder if that is why my calibration is failing?

------------

The utility just does not like USB.

-Mark

Hi John,

Pretty sure that's the deal.  The Z Series printers have always behaved better with LAN, plus you get the benefit of the embedded web server.

USB issues abound on all sorts of devices with Windows 10 apparently.

You might consider trying your Z with Win 7 on a LAN - it may just work better for you.  (You can set a security password).

Also, unfortunately for all Mac users (including me), the utility has been changed for Macs and the color center doesn't exist anymore.  Just widgets that drop down from the Paper Preset Management.  (See attached image below).
We got jipped out of the great gooey of the windows color center around the change to Mavericks.

Try the LAN - see if it fixes your issues.

Mark
Logged
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

jtmiller

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 87
Re: HP Z3200 24in - Status Unavailable
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 10:44:29 pm »

In fine print on the download page for the utility HP mentions that USB is not supported. It is due to the crazy way HP implements their connection from the PC to the printer. It certainly isn't the fault of USB in general. Basically their software people got lazy. No other way to explain it.

Makes me very skeptical of how much longer our very expensive purchase will be useful. It does produce wonderful prints however.

jim
Logged

PeterOReilly

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
Re: HP Z3200 24in - Status Unavailable
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2016, 05:25:49 am »

Thanks for the replies.

So, in order to connect via the network connection, how would I connect a cable to the computer? The single ethernet connection on the PC is already used for a cable to my broadband router.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 06:02:36 am by PeterOReilly »
Logged

Mark Lindquist

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1600
  • it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: HP Z3200 24in - Status Unavailable
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2016, 05:47:53 pm »

Look on your router, Peter, and see if there is another lan cable receptacle.  If so, plug a LAN cable from the printer in there.  If there is only one receptacle total, go buy a LAN switch.  Plug a cable from the router into the switch, the rub a cable to your computer, and a cable to your printer.  Google how to set up  a LAN.

-Mark
Logged
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

PeterOReilly

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 23
Re: HP Z3200 24in - Status Unavailable
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 07:14:54 am »

Thanks, Mark - think I've got it sorted now :D. I can print to the printer, but calibration is all over the place. I've disabled colour management on the printer (printing through Qimage), but prints are much darker than they should be.

Peter
Logged

Mark Lindquist

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1600
  • it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: HP Z3200 24in - Status Unavailable
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 07:58:36 am »

Thanks, Mark - think I've got it sorted now :D. I can print to the printer, but calibration is all over the place. I've disabled colour management on the printer (printing through Qimage), but prints are much darker than they should be.

Peter

OK Peter, glad your up and running.  I'm. guessing you need to recalibrate your monitor.

It would probably be best if you start a new thread on Qimage.  There are several folks here that know a lot about it.

Mark
Logged
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up