Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: alternative to Crashplan  (Read 13121 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
Re: alternative to Crashplan
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2016, 03:01:26 pm »

I may have done the maths wrong, but it seems quite expensive to store 5Tb - $35 a month, for the cheapest Glacier service (vs. $5 a month for Crashplan or Backblaze) - https://aws.amazon.com/s3/pricing/

You're right. I'd not considered the volume of data you want to keep. Apologies.

Jeremy

elliot_n

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2016, 05:54:09 am »

Backblaze continues to impress. It has now backed up all my jpegs and has moved onto my raw files. No sign of a slow down - in fact, it has speeded up a bit. It is now doing 208Gb a day - that's over 8X faster than Crashplan (in my tests). Overall, I expect it to back up my 5Tb in 24 days (total).

elliot_n

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2016, 06:00:11 am »

In Backblaze's preferences you can click a link 'How long will my first backup take?' - this takes you to a webpage which attempts to estimate how long your backup will take. Each time I go there it says something like 'Freak Out... your data will be backed up in 300 days'. As far as I can tell, this is a false estimate that assumes you haven't made various changes in Backblaze's 'Performance' panel (i.e. switched off Automatic Throttle, and turned on Threading).

rodgerd

• http://diaspora.gen.nz/~rodgerd/
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2017, 04:58:17 pm »

Upload speed is 50Mbps. They won't say they "bottleneck" but they say they can't match my speed.

This is an inordinately tardy reply, but on the off-chance it's useful to you or anyone else struggling with this problem:  if Crashplan isn't using the available bandwidth, it is almost certainly due to the "Deduplication" setting on the client.  If you have de-dupe enabled your backups become CPU limited (and will cheerfully eat all the available CPU in the process).

Switching off de-dupe should allow you to reach your line speed.  There is no effect on your backups, other than them taking a bit more storage at Crashplan's end of things.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up