Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Epson 7900 break down - new printer?  (Read 1646 times)

Gittix

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
Epson 7900 break down - new printer?
« on: April 13, 2016, 01:56:04 pm »

My yellow channel in my Epson 7900 is 85% gone. Nozzle check produces a couple bars on the top and bottom in the yellow channel with with nothing in the middle and the rest of the colors are perfect. It started a couple months ago with occasional banding and also prints where the green would look a little off. I could not figure out the problem at the time because nozzle checks came out fine but now I suspect my yellow channel was periodically dropping out. Now I have my current issue of almost no yellow. I've done every possible cleaning short of the SS in service mode as well as did the windex once, replaced the wiper, dabed the parking staion with distilled water, printed prints and purge patterns in between. Through all of this the nozzle check has remained unchanged. I've read Eric's thread more than I care to admit as well as his site and other sources and now figure I have a dead print head. The machine is over 4 years old but has given good service overall.

Is this most certainly a dead print head problem?
If so, what should I consider for a replacement moving away from Epson?

I'm a photographer and don't reproduce fine art. Most of my printing is on luster for clients but I enjoy some of the fine art papers as well such as Lyve canvas, Canson Baryta, BC Optica and Pura, etc. I would likely go back with a 24". I need to make a decision and move forward pretty quickly or I will have to go 3rd party for some clients for prints and canvas wraps. Any input is greatly appreciated.
Logged

BobDavid

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3313
Re: Epson 7900 break down - new printer?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 10:36:04 pm »

I'd try making a file that's just yellow. Say 7" X 7."  Use plane paper. And print it five our six times. Then do a nozzle check to see if the situation improves. I'd avoid cleaning at all cost. I typically use this method to clear out a channel.

I've read that the Windex trick only works for Epson printers prior to the X900 series. My 9900 died after two years of service. I probably made things worse by executing cleaning cycles and trying the Windex kludge.

I've had my 7890 for many years. It has been running flawlessly. If you need to replace the printer, I'd recommend staying away from the green/orange inkset Epsons. Those colors are only there for matching PMS colors for graphic arts applications. I cannot see any difference between the 9900 and the 7890 output.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 10:45:48 pm by BobDavid »
Logged

rothberg

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 34
Re: Epson 7900 break down - new printer?
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 04:04:20 am »

Today I t took my 7900 to the dump. (about 4 years use, only the occasional clog which a regular cleaning fixed)
I had exactly same issue, big gap in the yellow channel
5 regular cleanings
5 power cleanings
4 Just the pair that included yellow
Still blocked
You can do a Google for Epson Color Test Page and download a PDF that is an image of a solid block of any of the printers colors. I attached the yellow file.
It has been reported on this forum that repeated printing of one of these pages has opened up the clog.
Tried that X 5
My experience was not successful

Last year I fought the same battle with my 4900 that ended with another trip to the dump.
I also have a P600 which to date has never clogged and the output exactly matches my color managed display. 
My largest required print is 17 X 22 so I'm thinking I might order a P800 (under $1000 these days).

A new print head may or may not fix the problem but that's a $1500 bet I am unwilling to take.
When they work, Epson printers are great.  When they decide to die, better to bury your dead.

YMMV   
Logged

Gittix

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 11
Re: Epson 7900 break down - new printer?
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 08:58:31 am »

Thanks Bob and Roth. Yes, unfortunately I've tried printing many sheets of yellow only mostly between cleaning cycles and it gave me no change either. I only did a wipe and not a soak of the head with Windex which made no difference as well. Most of the time when I have had problems with this machine it would be a channel dropping all the way or nearly all the way out. I have had the nozzle checks with numerous breaks in the pattern to indicate a dirty or clogged head but they have very rare. Funny thing too is that my machine could set for varying lengths of time and I could come back and start printing something, sometimes starting with a nozzle pattern, and everything run perfectly. Then suddenly I would get banding or completely lose a color and print a nozzle check to find a channel nearly completely gone. I was always able to clear these with some form of basic cleaning, usually a pair. I, like some others, have come to believe these are not clogs at all, but an air or vacuum problem or a head malfunction rather than a clog.

I think the fact so many people have had problems with these machines and Epson has done so little is ridiculous. I'm not one of these people to jump up and down about compensation etc. but couldn't Epson at least put out some available information instead of price gouging on the back end of the sale of their printers? Can't you give us a little more than "Well you're not printing enough. These machines need to be run regularly." I don't deny this to be a truth but I'm doubtful of that being my issues considering the symptoms. Their answer is to send out a tech to throw expensive parts at the machine and hope it works. I heard an interview with an Epson tech online that stated "What people don't realize is that the head is considered a consumable and has a life span of what I would say is about 3 years." Well, OK. I'm fine with that. But why is that not common knowledge like it is for the other companies and why does Epson charge outrageous prices for an item that is considered a consumable? I guess they want us to just buy another printer instead of a new head. Ridiculous. I guess that's what I will end up doing. It will not be an Epson.

Thanks again for the advice so far. Can anyone advise if one of the lesser ink cartridge machines is sufficient for photographic purposes since I am not reproducing fine art? I'm trying to cram in some research on Canon and HP should I decide on another printer. I have a colormunki for paper profiling already.
Logged

JeanMichel

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 524
Re: Epson 7900 break down - new printer?
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 09:23:01 am »

I had a similar issue, but in my case it is the PK channel. I did all the possible temps to get the printer to work again, all to no avail.  The quote from Decision One was some $2,300 for parts, $100 for the call and $175 per hour for the technician with a minimum of two hours (all in Canadian funds). Buying a new P6000 was the result.
I understand that, with only one head gone, you could transform the printer into a b&w piezo printer using the Jon Cone inks.
I offered my 7890 to anyone for free, but sadly there are no takers.
I am quite happy with  my P6000. And may buy the additional warranty toward the end of the first year.
Jean-Michel
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up