Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A year on, has anything changed?  (Read 3532 times)

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
A year on, has anything changed?
« on: April 11, 2016, 06:47:38 pm »

So a year on from the last posts on "Is Lightroom inevitable" etc, has anything changed?
I am still happily using Aperture with 80,000 images and about 2.5TB of data.
Just about to upgrade to 10.11 but expect everything to work as it i does now.

Capture One is out because it doesn't support Hasselblad and probably never will.
Lightroom is out because it won't run on a server which I need for overnight backup and accessing by multiple machines. I also find the interface cumbersome.

So is there anything else to look at?
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

Robert Roaldi

• Robert's Photos
Re: A year on, has anything changed?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 09:48:33 pm »

I am also still using Aperture. Does everything I need, nice workflow. Too bad Apple has gone tablet mad. You'd think an outfit that big and profitable could afford to keep more product lines going. I bought a stand-alone LR5, but am not keen. Nothing wrong with it, I just prefer using Aperture.

I keep checking out After Shop Pro by Corel, which is what they called Bibble Pro after buying them out. It doesn't appear as though they're making any updates to it, but I haven't downloaded it lately to make certain of that.

I do have Pixelmator but don't use it much. I think it can do a lot of what Photoshop does, not all. When I first looked at it, it seemed enough for me but I haven't really exercised it much, I do 99% of my work in Aperture.

--
Robert

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
Re: A year on, has anything changed?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 12:36:43 pm »

Generally Aperture works OK on 10.11. However there are a couple issues; things that don't work as they should.

I forget exactly what they are, but you may wish to visit Apple's discussion forums under Aperture and have a look for the specifics. They're not showstoppers but they are inconveniences and they won't get fixed.

I've tried C1 and the interface is closest to Aperture but it has some significant performance issues. I do prefer the rendering it does of my photos though: Its defaults are much better than Lightroom's so I have to do less work. I don't use a Hassy so I'm OK there.

I've settled on LR, though because of the way I had organized my files (star ratings _and_ labels), a lot of data didn't transfer properly when I migrated, so I have thousands of selects I need to go re-find and then obviously re-adjust. I haven't done that at the moment.

I'm really disappointed too that Aperture got no love for the last 4 years and then went away. And the RAW conversion in OS X has improved substantially, too :-(
Pages: [1]   Go Up