Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink  (Read 7413 times)

dgberg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2954
    • http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2016, 07:37:20 am »

Pdf is blank.

Never mind got it now.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2016, 01:37:27 pm by Dan Berg »
Logged
Dan Berg
http://www.bergsprintstudio.com/workshops/
Our Studio is a Canson Certified Print Lab

PhilipWatkins

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25
Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2016, 07:26:04 pm »

Pdf is blank. File is too large.
Reduce it and try again


I'll get another copy next week - I can't see any Preferences in Adobe Reader to reduce it from 600dpi to 300.  That said, I tried to download it and had no trouble viewing it ...
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2016, 08:18:35 pm »

Pdf is blank. File is too large.
Reduce it and try again
I had no trouble downloading and viewing the pdf.

Clearly the Magenta cartridge has problems. I would take it out and shake it a few times, reinsert it, and try another nozzle check (without a cleaning). If it still isn't perfect, try a new Magenta cartridge and see if there is any improvement.

I had a similar persistent problem recently on my aging 3800, when two cartridges failed to clean up, even after replacing them with new ones. My next try was to spray a little Windex on a Q-tip and dab the opening where the ink goes from cartridge into the printer. I let it sit there for several minutes and then wiped the area clean (gently) with a paper towel. That worked fine. Apparently some ink had dried up right at that point, clogging the entrance.

I should add that my nozzle check always shows all eight patches in a single row across the narrow end of an 8.5x11" sheet of paper, just like what Dan showed, not at all like Philip's pattern.

Here is a jpg screen capture of the essentials of your pdf:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 08:32:16 pm by Eric Myrvaagnes »
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BobShaw

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2272
    • Aspiration Images
Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2016, 03:04:32 am »

I should add that my nozzle check always shows all eight patches in a single row across the narrow end of an 8.5x11" sheet of paper, just like what Dan showed, not at all like Philip's pattern.
8 in a row is using the print driver. The square pattern is using the console on the printer. I generally use the 8 in a row as the console is fiddly. Also you can get 4 to a piece of paper. Yes, cheap (:-)
Logged
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

PhilipWatkins

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 25
Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2016, 03:17:08 am »

Just to clarify both can be produced by the software driver (and that is how I was doing this one).  I've attached a screen shot of the nozzle check screen.

The Auto button produces the checker pattern, the Print button prints the 8 colours on a single line.

Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2016, 08:43:24 am »

I have never used the "Auto" button as I want to see the nozzle check results and make my own decision as to whether a cleaning is needed.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

howardm

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1984
Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2016, 08:50:17 am »

I have been biten by that.  the manual zebra lines would be fine but the checkerboard revealed problems.  Now I usually do auto.

Garnick

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1229
Re: Problems with Epson 3800 when switching from Matte to Photo Black ink
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2016, 09:32:01 am »

8 in a row is using the print driver. The square pattern is using the console on the printer. I generally use the 8 in a row as the console is fiddly. Also you can get 4 to a piece of paper. Yes, cheap (:-)

Hi Bob,

You think that's cheap?  I do 6 nozzle checks per sheet on the 9900.  Did the same on the 4000 and 7600 printers I had.  I use standard US Letter size paper and use both ends and both sides for 4 checks.  I then trim off the checks on one end and use that end for two more checks.  Now that's cheap, but it works!  Not sure if you can do that with the smaller printers, possibly loading issues with the 8.5x9 sheet after trimming.  Either way we are both practicing conservation, so it's a good thing.  Unfortunately I cannot contribute to the issue Phillip is experiencing, but I would bet good money that he's likely on his way to a new printer.  Definitely unfortunate, but they don't last forever.  I just had a new print-head installed on the 9900($2250 CDN) and it's working beautifully again, green nozzle crapped out.  The printer is 6 years old but the tech said it's one of the cleanest ones he has seen.  After the initial growing pains and replacement parts when it was new(warranty) it has behaved very well for the past 4+ years, so I can't complain.  On his cell phone the tech showed me some shots of printers he had worked on.  I could not believe the conditions that some folks work in and obviously never do any meaningful maintenance  on their equipment.  They were deplorable, and even that word doesn't do them justice.  Hmmm...seem that I have once again been caught rambling on, so I'll get outta here for now.  I wish Phillip well and hope he arrives at a positive conclusion soon. 

Gary     
Logged
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up