Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hasselblad H5D-50c vs H5D-50  (Read 8394 times)

pflower

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 476
Hasselblad H5D-50c vs H5D-50
« on: April 10, 2016, 01:59:48 pm »

With the H6D coming, I am seriously beginning to think about trading in my old H3D-39 for an H5.  I suspect there will be some good deals on offer as the H6 rolls out.  Obviously I am not going to do anything without testing both cameras, but I wonder if anyone has anything to add on the differences.  One thing that I particularly like about the H3D is the sensor size - the same as the H5D-50.  Looking back pretty much everything I have done with the H3 has been either with a 50mm or the 80mm - a bit with the V format 120 Macro on an adapter.  I am not at all sure about the cropped sensor on the H5D-50c - particularly if it means buying more and wider lenses.  But the main question is whether there is a significant difference between the CMOS and CCD sensors in terms of image quality and look.  Has anyone got experience of both and can comment - also what I should look for when testing both out.

Thanks

Logged

Jlister

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 48
Re: Hasselblad H5D-50c vs H5D-50
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2016, 04:52:45 pm »

I switched from a h4d-50 to a h5d-50c and I have to say the crop bothers me.  I had to buy a wider lens than my 50-110, a 35 so I have to carry around another lens with me.  But the ability to shoot at Ido 6400 with almost no noise, the incredible dynamic range, and the speed of the camera far outweighs the crop.  I also use wifi tethering all the time.  The camera is incredible.  The only thing better would be a full frame with all these abilities which they just announced. 
Logged

Theodoros

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2454
Re: Hasselblad H5D-50c vs H5D-50
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2016, 06:38:01 pm »

I also think that the 49x37mm sensor is the optimal size of sensor to have... I use a Hasselblad CF-39MS back on Contax 645 camera and I find the crop ideal as to maximise the performance of the lenses I use as it crops out exactly the part of the lens that needs to be cropped, especially if one uses the lenses at wider aperture settings... That said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if Hasselblad comes out with an intermediate size (exclusive to them) sensor to the two Sony Cmos sensors... I wouldn't consider the full size 54X40.5 sensor at all for three reasons...
1. The size of it would many times force my to stop down the lenses and thus make my system slower, but would limit the shallow DOF too if it is needed,
2.The huge file sizes that I will have to deal with for each and every capture,
3. I'm now converting a Nikkor 24mm PCE lens to use on the Contax (with full dedication of electronic aperture control), I find the AOV ideal for ultra WA, wider than that would be too wide, but more than that, its image circle is just enough for my current sensor (very sharp too), on a 54x40.4 sensor it causes strong vignetting...
Logged

jduncan

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 434
Re: Hasselblad H5D-50c vs H5D-50
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 12:04:28 am »

With the H6D coming, I am seriously beginning to think about trading in my old H3D-39 for an H5.  I suspect there will be some good deals on offer as the H6 rolls out.  Obviously I am not going to do anything without testing both cameras, but I wonder if anyone has anything to add on the differences.  One thing that I particularly like about the H3D is the sensor size - the same as the H5D-50.  Looking back pretty much everything I have done with the H3 has been either with a 50mm or the 80mm - a bit with the V format 120 Macro on an adapter.  I am not at all sure about the cropped sensor on the H5D-50c - particularly if it means buying more and wider lenses.  But the main question is whether there is a significant difference between the CMOS and CCD sensors in terms of image quality and look.  Has anyone got experience of both and can comment - also what I should look for when testing both out.

Thanks

Hi,
unless the price difference is too high, or you need something from the CCDs (extreme movements for example) I will recommend the H5D-50c. Not only because dynamic range but also ISO and the expected life of the unit.

The current price of the H5D-50C wifi is 14K but it could go lower.

best regards
Logged
english is not my first language, an I k

pflower

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 476
Re: Hasselblad H5D-50c vs H5D-50
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 01:31:16 pm »

Hmm.  I've just seen a list of the trade in options for the H6D which look pretty generous.  With my old H3D the H6D-50c becomes almost affordable.  I also note that the H5D-50 is no longer actually listed on Hasselblad's site as an option (although the Pro Centre in London) still list it.  In any event like jlister I suspect I also see a 35mm lens in my future. 
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up