Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zeiss F-Distagon 30mm fisheye on Pentax 645  (Read 3834 times)

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
Zeiss F-Distagon 30mm fisheye on Pentax 645
« on: April 08, 2016, 03:27:01 pm »

I'm looking for cheaper ways to go wider on my 645D and see these around from time to time.
Is all I need a Hasselblad V to Pentax 645 adapter? Anyone done this or something similar?

Seems like it might be worth a try.
-MattB

dougorama1

Re: Zeiss F-Distagon 30mm fisheye on Pentax 645
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2016, 02:05:11 pm »

Yes all you need is that adapter. A little wider, say 22mm (?) than the 25mm Pentax, but typical FE distortion. On this sample it's not so obvious

dougorama

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2016, 02:26:11 pm »

my name changed due to browser problem

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2016, 06:27:43 pm »

Ok thanks. I'm going to give it a shot.
-MattB

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 05:00:35 pm »

Got it today and found the adapter to not stay on the lens very well. Turning the focus ring turns the lens in the adapter and I was afraid I might do this inadvertently in the field and have the lens fall off! My solution for now was to put a little gaffers tape over where the metal tab connected to the lever comes out. This makes it a little tighter fit and the lens will no longer turn before the focus ring does.

There are lots of little controls on the lens, surely many relating to the leaf shutter (right?). At first I thought my lens might be bad because I couldn't see the lens stopping down when looking through it unmounted while turning the aperture ring. But then I found that little metal lever that releases the aperture and makes it snap to whatever the ring is set to. Then if I open it all the way up it will stay open as I try to stop down with the ring until the lever is pushed. Maybe that's a feature?

Is there somewhere I can look all this up and see what all these controls do? I downloaded a pdf but it doesn't address the controls.
-MattB

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 11:51:06 pm »

Well I tried it out but it can't achieve infinity focus. :(
It's missing the internal drop in filters and I didn't realize these were required just to make the lens function correctly.
I've emailed Zeiss to look for a replacement but I understand they are hard to find which is disappointing.

I wonder if I could fabricate a spacer of some kind if I can't get the real item. Anyone know any more? Dang, I'm bummed!
-MattB

dougorama

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 07:37:37 pm »

I rented the one I for that night shot
I understand that yes you have to have filter in place
Good luck hope you find something

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2016, 07:41:43 pm »

Well I tried it out but it can't achieve infinity focus. :(
It's missing the internal drop in filters and I didn't realize these were required just to make the lens function correctly.
I've emailed Zeiss to look for a replacement but I understand they are hard to find which is disappointing.

I wonder if I could fabricate a spacer of some kind if I can't get the real item. Anyone know any more? Dang, I'm bummed!

Calm down a bit. I'm sure that if you can take the time Zeiss will give you some specs and someone can cut out a piece of the right glass and you can drop it into place. Getting a filter made for you may be a bit of a pain, but my guess would be that Zeiss can arrange for someone to do it.

You're not the only guy who'se run into this issue as we now all know wahahahahaha
http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00U9zL?start=20

Edmund
« Last Edit: April 18, 2016, 07:46:29 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 11:11:26 am »

Yes, I saw that. As it happens the filter was in there and I was looking at the wrong side for it, looking in the lens body instead of the back of the front element. So obviously the missing filter was not the problem. After removing the front element, filter, adapter and checking over everything I carefully reassembled it and now it's better! What a relief. I still need a lens cap for it but the lens appears to be ok and maybe something wasn't seated correctly at first.
If anyone has a line on the big front lens cap or a suitable substitute, I'd love to know where to get one!

Thanks again for all the info and advice.

Sadly it's been snowing since I managed to get the lens functional and this big protruding front element isn't exactly ideal for snow and rain.
-MattB

Joe Towner

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 01:54:24 pm »

Post as to what getting the replacement front cap takes - I've been tempted to do a 3d scan of the caps at my local shop and render them for 3d printing and customization.  Nothing says 'mine' like your logo on the front and rear caps of your gear.
t: @PNWMF

eronald

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 02:46:40 pm »

Post as to what getting the replacement front cap takes - I've been tempted to do a 3d scan of the caps at my local shop and render them for 3d printing and customization.  Nothing says 'mine' like your logo on the front and rear caps of your gear.

Tube caps.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2016, 03:51:13 pm »

Will do. Zeiss and Arax won't sell them, that's all I know so far.
-MattB

eronald

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2016, 04:05:40 pm »

Will do. Zeiss and Arax won't sell them, that's all I know so far.

I remember that I had the issue for an Arsat fisheye or some other soviet medium format lens with a lens as large as a saucer, but miraculously the right lenscap turned up at a used camera shop. On reflection, I think the smartest thing might be to have one 3-d printed because it's really hard to get something that doesn't touch the front element.

Edmund

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2016, 04:07:42 pm »

Thanks for the tip! Yes, I'll look for tube caps as well. Right now I have a rubber band holding a Tupperware lid over the front element. Works but doesn't look particularly "pro" :).
-MattB

MattBurt

• Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2016, 04:00:35 pm »

I found my lens cap! (I had set it in a weird spot when testing and my wife found it)
So with the lens complete again I decided to return it as today was the last day I could do so.

I may have been able to adjust infinity focus I know but I paid quite a bit (to me) and don't want to have to mess around that much and risk making it worse or just having to keep it when it doesn't perform how I need it to. So I'm still on the lookout for a wider than 35mm lens for my 645D that won't break the bank. That last requirement seems to be the hard part! :)
-MattB
Pages: [1]   Go Up