Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Next Shootout  (Read 6760 times)

hubell

The Next Shootout
« on: May 17, 2006, 06:39:27 pm »

I commend(and thank)Michael, Bill and Charles for taking the time to put this test together, and I have no doubt that by processing these raw files and printing out the files as large prints, we can learn about the relative resolution of these capture alternatives. However, it is unfortunate that the weather did not cooperate so that the captures could be real world landscape photographs that would illustrate the differences in these capture alternatives in terms of dynamic range, film "likeness" and other subjective parameters as opposed to a controlled lighting studio shot of inanimate objects. Perhaps another time.
I would also like to see a real world landscape photography comparison with raw captures from the Phase One P45 back against the Leaf Aptus 75 back and perhaps the Hasselblad 39MP back as well. Michael already has the P45, and I would not surprised if Leaf would be up to the challenge and loan an Aptus 75 to him for that purpose. The recent shootout may be helpful in informing your decision as to whether you "need" the 39MP of a  P45, but it won't help you decide if the P45 is the right choice as against the Aptus 75 or the Hasselblad.

michael

The Next Shootout
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 07:32:45 pm »

I am trying to set up exectly such a test and comparison for a few weeks from now. It will involve having an Aptus technical expert along on a shoot.

Stay tuned.

Michael

hubell

The Next Shootout
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 09:54:49 pm »

I am trying to set up exectly such a test and comparison for a few weeks from now. It will involve having an Aptus technical expert along on a shoot.

Stay tuned.

Michael
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65844\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I look forward to it.  I find it exceptional that, despite having just dropped $30K on a P45, you are willing  to do such a test, and I am confident that you will try in good faith to do the test as fairly and as objectively as possible and let the chips fall where they may. It is what makes this site unique. No sacred cows; no manufacturers intervening to obstruct such tests.
One additional request: if you find the results of the test are really useful, please consider doing another DVD with the raws for people to print large with their own equipment.
Pages: [1]   Go Up