Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ball head rec. needed  (Read 2327 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Ball head rec. needed
« on: March 31, 2016, 09:14:39 am »

My wife is looking for a panning ballhead to use with her Panasonic FZ-1000. This is a lightweight camera and does not require the load-bearing capabilities of an Acrotech or RRS. Any suggestions?

Colorado David

Re: Ball head rec. needed
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2016, 10:04:07 am »

Kirk BH-3 Ball Head. I have one on a light carbon fiber tripod for hiking with a similar lightweight camera.

stever

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2016, 10:18:42 am »

I recently did a search on B&H for lightweight ball heads with independent pan lock and found the Sunway FB 28i at 7.3 oz with clamp $99.  I didn't buy one yet, but ordered a Desmond SCV-FK flip kit for $20 that may allow one of these (or one of my old heads) to be used upside down - it's special order and non returnable and you can't tell from the image or specs what the compatibility is - i'll update this when I receive it.

stever

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2016, 10:34:58 am »

there is also the sirui C-10 7oz and $80

Ken Bennett

• http://www.kenbennettphoto.com
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2016, 10:39:10 am »

I purchased a Sirui K-20x for my smaller tripod, to be used with my Fuji system. I have a big RRS BH55 on my full size Gitzo, and to be honest I wasn't expecting much from the Sirui. I was  very pleasantly surprised -- it's well made, and, crucially, tightening the knob doesn't move the camera at all.

The K-20x is slightly larger than I expected. It works well with the Gitzo 15xx tripod that I have, but I probably could have used a K-10x just as well.
Equipment: a camera and some lenses. https://www.instagram.com/wakeforestphoto/

NancyP

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2016, 10:42:28 am »

I have the Arca p0, which is about 9 oz with the Sunwayfoto discal clamp made for it, but that's overkill - I use it for DSLRs and compacts. It's an "upside down" ballhead, so pan platform is on top where you want it. I have heard lots of good things about Sirui heads.

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 11:20:12 am »

I have a Sirui K-10X, K-20X and K-40X in addition to having some RRS ballheads.

For a lightweight rig the K-10X is a marvel in design, build quality, durability and value.
Regards,
Ron

stever

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 12:09:20 pm »

I should add that a somewhat smaller ballhead works for me as I use a nodal slide to balance the camera-lens when I'm not taking panos and an L-plate for verticals

dwswager

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2016, 12:20:05 pm »

I have the Arca p0, which is about 9 oz with the Sunwayfoto discal clamp made for it, but that's overkill - I use it for DSLRs and compacts. It's an "upside down" ballhead, so pan platform is on top where you want it. I have heard lots of good things about Sirui heads.

I have to ask why the panning clamp vice a regular clamp?  The whole point of the P0 is that when the camera is leveled, so is the panning base of the P0 such that a panning clamp is not necessary as opposed to a traditional ballhead where the leveling occurs above the panning base.

BTW, I use an RRS panning clamp on a Arca B1.

NancyP

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2016, 06:51:58 pm »

My bad for poor explanation. The clamp is not a panning clamp, it is just a round-shaped compact Arca-style screw clamp. The head's pan platform is underneath the cheap compact lightweight clamp that allows my tripod legs to fold around the head. My clamp: Sunwayfoto DDY 64 Long (has been around for a while). Recommended clamp is the DDY 60 p0 which is sized specifically for p0 (thus looks a bunch more slick), and which didn't exist when I bought my head and clamp.
Page showing the clamp selections: http://www.sunwayfoto.com/e_goodsmulu.aspx?cid=45

stever

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 11:19:35 pm »

clicked on the Sunwayfoto link supplied by Nancy, browsed, and found the FB-28iDDHi which has a panning clamp w/bubble and weighs 8.7 oz.  does not appear to be available in the US (yet?) - only availability I found was imported and fairly expensive.  this is what I've been looking for for a long time.

Ghibby

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 01:34:15 pm »

Have a look at some of the smaller models by FLM. very well engineered and finished.
Pages: [1]   Go Up