Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Out Back  (Read 775 times)

Arlen

Out Back
« on: March 30, 2016, 02:58:46 pm »

Once a standard fixture of American life, it's now rare to see a working example of outdoor "facilities" like this one behind an old ranch house. I was struck by the odd congruence of outhouse and apple tree, amidst the aftermath of a big mid-winter snow storm. Thoughts?

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Out Back
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 03:54:11 pm »

Uh huh. Been there. Done that.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 04:19:17 pm »

One apple a day and one visit to outhouse a day keep doctor away?

In all seriousness, unless you are doing a documentary on outhouses, I see the OP image as a nice "apple tree in winter" square composition.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 04:40:16 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

Arlen

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 04:28:21 pm »

Uh huh. Been there. Done that.

Me too, Russ, in a time far far away.

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 05:11:28 pm »

Walk the periphery of the pair for an in old age  "Portrait"  - in early morning light, in stormy rains, in mid to late evening long shadows. Something is there- waiting your willingness to really look, openly look- the defining of "Survivors"
p
A common woman~

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 07:17:37 pm »

People often used to keep a 50 lb bag of lime outback and toss a scoop or two down the holes from time to time. Long ago, on a hunting trip to northern Michigan to my grandfather's cabin I went out back after dark. As it happened the toilet paper had dropped into the lime and somebody had helpfully picked it out and set it next to the seat. The result taught me always to carry a flashlight and check the toilet paper before using it.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 08:37:27 pm »

People often used to keep a 50 lb bag of lime outback and toss a scoop or two down the holes from time to time. Long ago, on a hunting trip to northern Michigan to my grandfather's cabin I went out back after dark. As it happened the toilet paper had dropped into the lime and somebody had helpfully picked it out and set it next to the seat. The result taught me always to carry a flashlight and check the toilet paper before using it.
LMAO, Russ!

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 08:50:50 pm »

Arlen

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 09:17:02 pm »

Or to check for spiders. In the old South, quite a few outhouse visitors were bitten by black widows in the most awkward of places.

Thanks for that colorful background story to add depth for some our younger or more urban readers, Russ.
Pages: [1]   Go Up