Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: High Force  (Read 1420 times)

philaitman

High Force
« on: March 27, 2016, 06:22:33 am »

High Force Waterfall in Teesdale in the North of England.

I had an interesting conversation with another very nice photographer here, he instigated the conversation by asking why I was using a long lens to photograph landscape. So we had a chat about getting closer and removing distractions. He was there on a camera club project and after I showed him some of the shots from the back of the camera, I was surprised when he said how much he liked them, but if he took photographs like this to the club he would be poorly marked and criticised badly by the senior member who act as judges. I was quite taken aback and slightly saddened by this. It's sad that fear of criticism can make someone scared to experiment and look at things differently. (Yes I know long exposures of waterfalls are NOT different ;) )

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Re: High Force
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2016, 01:55:21 am »

Two lenses, 24mm, & 70-200 for 95% of my work. That being said, I'm not sure I would have used the long lens here ;) But then I have no way of knowing what distraction's you've removed.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2016, 02:33:22 am »

I find the club competition ethos in the UK totally stifling with the judges always encouraging you to do something different but the moment anyone does so they get criticised and low marks. To win the competitions you play the game - I got fed up with that and entered what I thought were good shots. You wouldn't credit the inane remarks some judges make.

Their idea of creativity is to apply a whacky filter or texture to a mundane shot.

It's sad and depressing and not sour grapes as might seem to be the case as I won everything I wanted to by playing that game :) Then I rose up and cast my shackles aside and I come a happy bottom of everything :)

Mike

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2016, 03:40:08 am »

Full of energy, but I do miss a little bit more of context of what is surrounding the fall. Of course I have no way of knowing if the surrounding area holds any interest.

philaitman

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 04:16:10 am »

Thanks, Paul and MadDog,
In this instance lots of people and an overly bright flat grey sky just off the top. I was unlucky to be there on a flat day with no interest in the skies at all.

philaitman

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 04:17:51 am »

I find the club competition ethos in the UK totally stifling with the judges always encouraging you to do something different but the moment anyone does so they get criticised and low marks. To win the competitions you play the game - I got fed up with that and entered what I thought were good shots. You wouldn't credit the inane remarks some judges make.

Their idea of creativity is to apply a whacky filter or texture to a mundane shot.

It's sad and depressing and not sour grapes as might seem to be the case as I won everything I wanted to by playing that game :) Then I rose up and cast my shackles aside and I come a happy bottom of everything :)

Mike

Well done for playing the game Mike, I don't think I would have the patience (or tolerance)

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2016, 05:06:43 am »

Despite appearances I am horribly competitive and I wanted to stake out some territory :) That said many of my shots have always caused amusement and bemusement within the club which is fine by me.

Given the club members are good fun then playing the game along with them is pretty good fun until the judges come along :) I totally recommend joining a club it did me no end of good and the amount of help I received was colossal. But, for all its sins (and it has many) Kidderminster is a very friendly place.

drmike

• On Flickr:
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 05:12:09 am »

To address your photograph rather than digressing I thought the use of a longer lens for landscape was pretty well accepted at least in the past. Personally I like the effect a very wide lens has on the sky but in this situation a longer lens should have benefits such as avoiding spray and excluding clutter as you observed.

For me I find there's too much dark looming on the right edge and I'm not sure there's enough interest in the snaking patterns of water which looks very well exposed but overall it is a nice shot (and coincidentally ought to do quite well in club competition).

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 08:45:25 am »

Mike

Great subjects/composition... and really great use of slow shutter effect on the water...juxtaposed with the stone and its textures flanking it. I think your comment about "long exposures not being different" may miss the point for me. Many use the effect in a knee-jerk, predictable, and uncirmumspect way without really "looking" at what they are photographing..and making a thoughtful determination about whether the effect really "is useful" and "supportive" in the composition of elements...and the effect becomes a defacto subject whether warranted or not...and whether interesting or not. I would think about bringing up the darkest shadows a bit...so there are some gray/dark gray tonalities...so there is a little more transition from the stone to the water.

/Brandt

Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

philaitman

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 10:20:25 am »

Thanks Brandt,
I'll try a reprocess to see what it's like with the shadows brought up a bit.
Pages: [1]   Go Up