Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gold Lame Rag Color Shift  (Read 2037 times)

JoeKitchen

Gold Lame Rag Color Shift
« on: March 24, 2016, 04:59:38 pm »

If I were to bounce a strobe (5500 K) off of a gold lame rag, what do you think the resulting color would be? 

Would it warm the light up to the same warmth as tungsten? 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 05:08:11 pm by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
Re: Gold Lame Rag Color Shift
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 06:53:08 pm »

You could use full ct orange gel to match it, bouncing off gold will be not sufficient, perhaps add half ct orange.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 08:28:00 pm »

You could use full ct orange gel to match it, bouncing off gold will be not sufficient, perhaps add half ct orange.

Thanks Ulf.  I felt that gold would probably not get me all the way there.

Something I wonder is how nice will a gelled strobe bounced off of a gold lame look?  I never liked the look of a strobe gelled with CTO.  The color always has this not so nice magenta hue to it.  That, and it look just too smooth; dealt with this on a shoot yesterday. 

Tungsten has this very nice look and roughness to it that I like; hard to explain.  I was thinking that maybe gold would add that to it, even if I need to use 1/2 CTO to get me there. 

I think I will need to test this out. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2016, 11:07:40 am »

If I were to bounce a strobe (5500 K) off of a gold lame rag, what do you think the resulting color would be? 

Would it warm the light up to the same warmth as tungsten?

It is likely that the result will be a gold color light which is not the same as what you get with a CTO or other gel. If you are lighting silver I have found that if you bounce the light off of a silver card to make it look silver, and the same for gold products - to make them look gold, bounce the light off a gold card.
Pages: [1]   Go Up