Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broncolor Topas slow discharge problem  (Read 7006 times)

jazzy

Broncolor Topas slow discharge problem
« on: March 18, 2016, 12:26:02 am »

Hi everyone,

I was given a Topas A4 pack by a friend. It has not been used for a while. However, I notice it takes quite long time to discharge (around 20-30s for 1 stop down discharge), however charging is very fast, and everything else seems to be working well. I have not had experience with Topas pack before (only a few Opus and Grafit).

Is it the way Topis is, is there some setting that I'm not aware of, or this one is due a service? Just want to check before sending it away. Appreciate your advice.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 07:28:55 am by jazzy »

jazzy

Re: Broncolor Topas slow discharge problem
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 10:31:28 am »

Or any one knows a good flash repair shop in the UK? Hasselblad Broncolor UK has terrible service, if you call them 10 times and get picked up once, then you are lucky.

UlfKrentz

• http://www.shoots.de
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 11:27:18 am »

Or any one knows a good flash repair shop in the UK? Hasselblad Broncolor UK has terrible service, if you call them 10 times and get picked up once, then you are lucky.

The flash centre?
http://www.theflashcentre.com

I have no personal experience with Topas packs but I think the discharge time may be quite normal when the pack is downcharging from a higher level of energy, if you´re in hurry you can always just trigger a flash.

jazzy

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 01:43:38 pm »

That's brilliant UlfKrentz, why I haven't thought of that before!

Could you please check how long it takes for your Grafit pack to discharge from 9 to 8 (1600J to 800J)? My Topas A4 takes over 30 seconds, while I have a few Pulso 4/Opus 2 packs here and they only take 5 seconds. So I feel that's really not normal, but maybe that's how newer Bron pack works?

I'm thinking of upgrading Pulso/Opus to Grafit/Topas, however yet find a convincing reason to do so, apart from aesthetics. What else am I missing out?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:38:03 am by jazzy »

UlfKrentz

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 02:26:34 pm »

That's brilliant UlfKrentz, why I haven't thought of that before!

Could you please check how long it takes for your Grafit pack to discharge from 9 to 8 (1600J to 800J)? My Topas A4 takes over 30 seconds, while I have a few Pulso 4/Opus 2 packs here and they only take 5 seconds. So I feel that's really not normal, but maybe that's how newer Bron pack works?

I'm thinking of upgrading Pulso/Opus to Grafit/Topas, however yet find a convincing reason to do so, apart from aesthetics. What else am I missing out?

Just checked, takes 6sec on the GrafitA, so you might be right with your Topas being too slow.(Scoro just needs about 2secs)
The main feature you´re missing is the IGBT cut off circuit. Flash duration / color temperature is electronically controlled and can even be influenced in certain limits. They also have a true asymmetry and can be dialed down to 3.3 (A4) or 2.3 (A2). They cannot really be compared to their predecessors, you´ll probably never look back. This applies to Grafit A, Scoro (and Move) packs. Pulso, Opus, Topas and Grafit (without A) don´t use this technology. Grafit A can be found at a reasonable rate these days and are still excellent workhorses. Obviously Scoros are even more advanced but they are less affordable and at least for me I don´t really like their operation, a bit awkward. Some extraordinary features that cannot be found anywhere else though. HTH

Cheers
Ulf

UlfKrentz

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 10:06:15 am »

Thanks Ulf. Its a strange problem, I've never met before. Everything else is working as they should, so I just wonder if there's a setting I missed.  Now it occasionally gives out that 3-second alarm signal ("audible fault signal" in manual). Maybe there's some problem with discharging circuitry.

On my Pulso A4 pack, I can set the flash duration t 0.1, up to 1/6000, which I think the same as the Grafit A4, however there's no Colour Temperature Control. It can also does fancy things like sequencing, delay... I actually quite like the lid feature of the Pulso pack. However it's very heavy and awkward to carry around. What is your favourite Auxiliary Functions on the Grafit/Scoro packs?

Yes, better get it serviced ASAP. May be it´s a blown discharge resistor, resulting in the left ones to get overheated or the voltage on the pos / neg capacitors is getting out of balance.

I like the color consistency and being able to dial in the short flash duration over the entire power range, or slightly control the color tone, other than that I do not use the auxiliary functions a lot, when - it would be more a task for the scoros, like high speed strobing for example.

Cheers
Ulf

jazzy

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2016, 10:04:41 pm »

Hi Ulf, what is the best place to service Broncolor in Germany? I might get it done quicker and possibly cheaper sending it there. Broncolor UK is so overloaded, I can hardly get through to them. Thanks for your help.

UlfKrentz

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 05:19:43 am »

Not sure if that makes sense, shipping will be expensive and takes time too. I don´t have intense service experience, as I can do a lot on my own. I´d advice to send it to www.bronkobold.de if you insist to have it done in Germany.

frfr

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 06:54:33 am »

Hi Jazzy,
I work mainly with Grafit power packs and got a Topas A2 a while ago. I was also very shocked by the time it takes to the pack for discharge. I didn't check precisely how long it takes but being used to work with Grafit I thought there was a problem (probably like you, between 20-30 sec for 1 stop down). When I'm in a hurry I do as Ulf said, I trigger the flash when in a hurry.
Not so sure it's not normal with this pack.
François Trézin
www.frfrfrfr.com

jazzy

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2016, 03:40:14 pm »

Maybe that's how Topas works?

Do you have a repair shop nearby that you can check? It would be nice to hear from another owner's experience first.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 06:40:00 am by jazzy »

frfr

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 10:25:45 pm »

Hi Jazzy,

I just checked discharge time with my Topas (actually A4 like yours). Discharge of 1 stop from 6 to 5 took 15 seconds. From 8 to 5 it took 55 seconds  :o
I have no repair shop close by but I will send an email to Broncolor Switzerland, they kindly answered my questions in the past.
François Trézin
www.frfrfrfr.com

frfr

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 09:23:58 pm »

Hi Jazzy,

I got an unclear reply from Broncolor telling me to contact my local distributor, that they might not be able to repair it but I could get a small discount on upgrade.

So I contacted a French repair company, they know well enough Topas packs to tell me this discharge time is completely normal.
François Trézin
www.frfrfrfr.com

frfr

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 09:20:44 am »

Hi Jazzy,

Sorry, no new info about discharging time, I also keep using it as it is.

Best,
François Trézin
www.frfrfrfr.com

yashima

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2016, 03:37:06 pm »

I just bought a Topas pack, I can confirm that's how it works. I guess its a design trade off to make them light and small.

frfr

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 08:30:10 am »

Hi Yashima,
Thanks for confirming what we were experiencing, that's relieving!
Best,
François
François Trézin
www.frfrfrfr.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up