Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "The image appears to be damaged" !?  (Read 8500 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
"The image appears to be damaged" !?
« on: March 11, 2016, 01:23:27 pm »

How to get rid of that note?

It was a pano created with a 24 tilt & shift lens, which doesn't have a profile in LR, thus probably causing the "damaged" sign. On a side note, why aren't there profiles for  Canon t/s lenses?

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: "The image appears to be damaged" !?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 01:36:42 pm »

How to get rid of that note?

It was a pano created with a 24 tilt & shift lens, which doesn't have a profile in LR, thus probably causing the "damaged" sign. On a side note, why aren't there profiles for  Canon t/s lenses?

You will also get this message whenever you create a pano from multiple HDR images. Every time.

Paul C

Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 03:34:22 pm »

It might be an issue with corrupted or invalid metadata, suggesting a bug in LR if it is constantly happening. Running exiftool to your published jpeg shows the warning: "Invalid Metadada Data"

You might try to use a metadata editor or if you provide a sample DNG/original file I could investigate further.

I would report it to Adobe and send them a sample file.

In regards to profiles for T/S lenses: It would be very difficult, if even possible, because the correction will depend on tilt and shift.

Usually the optical corrections are implemented through a third level polinomial function starting at the center of the frame (assuming that coincides with the optical axis) and then progressing radially towards all directions. The shift problem would be easy to solve by using a larger canvas and placing the center of the correction where the optical correction lies, but the tilt will be very difficult to solve, since the correction is not radial anymore.

Perhaps the most you can do with T/S lenses is a flat field or lens cast correction, which has to be specific for the tilt and shift used when taking the photo

Brad Smith

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 04:26:15 pm »

FYI I do not get this message with my Canon 90 mm t/s.

rdonson

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 05:28:14 pm »

Slobodan, a couple of questions:

Are you on a Mac?

Is the image on an external drive?
Regards,
Ron

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2016, 05:33:20 pm »

I am on a Mac and the image is on the internal drive. And yes, I am creating panos (lens shifted up and down) from three HDR images. I do get the message in the panorama panel that the lens doesn't have a profile.

Btw, there is nothing wrong with the image and that label doesn't show up in exported files. It is just annoying having to constantly look at at while processing the file.

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2016, 06:01:43 pm »

I get that sometimes on my external drives.  In most cases I think the Mac File system (HFS+) just gets confused (it is rather long in the tooth).  If I Unmount and then Mount the drive everything is ok.  Of course, I panicked a bit the first time it happened to me.
Regards,
Ron

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 06:58:05 pm »

This is the message that appears in the panorama panel:

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2016, 08:05:03 pm »

To me, both messages sound a little like some of the comments here on LuLa. Everybody wants to be a critic, so maybe Adobe has snuck their new "Content-aware Critique" feature into Lightroom.   ;D

You should begin to worry when the message changes to "Ridiculous!  ;D " !
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 08:08:11 pm by Eric Myrvaagnes »
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2016, 09:37:58 pm »

The issue with the damaged image message looks really like a LR bug. It is easy to reproduce and it is reported in other forums too.

For some weird reason, it does not show if you set boundary warp correction to 100 as suggested in the following post:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=108121.msg892093#msg892093

This of course is not something that you would want to do

The other warning about not having a lens profile, well, there is nothing you can do about it. The panorama merging is supposed to use additional information from the lens profile to give optimal results, but it will not prevent to proceed nor will appear anywhere else

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2016, 09:54:46 am »

I have assumed it's a bug also, but it does get annoying as the image will load, then after about 4 to 8 seconds later, the "damaged" notice appears.

I get this with about 50% of my HDR combinations, from Nikon, Canon and Fuji.  The images will all process out fine, as far as I can tell.  But the images with this message also seem to work slower in LR, with adjustments.

I will get this message 100% of time when I take multiple HDR images and create a pano.  I have tried not using the boundary warp and I still get the message.  Most times these are 3 image segment HDR's.  Most times I will have 4 HDR (which will be combinations of 3 images) segments to convert to a pano.  Boundary warp on or off, the "image appears to be damaged" message appears each time. 

With panos I am creating with just single exposures, say a 4 or 5 image pano made from vertical segments, I use the boundary warp most of the time and most times at 100%, and I have not seen the "image appears damaged" message. 

Great features, just not well tested as I have found several bugs with both the HDR process and pano merge. 

1.  excessive noise with HDR images which has been noted many times on this site and others, (with max de-ghosting)
2.  blown highlights when combining multiple HDR images as a pano, see my previous post on this site.  (same images work fine in photoshop CC when exported from LR)

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2016, 01:49:16 pm »

The real question is: what is the point of that message?

An image is either damaged or it is not. If it only "appears" damaged, but no one can see it, than it doesn't really "appear" (i.e., "become visible or noticeable" - as per dictionary)

If the damage is there, but can not be seen, what is the point of the warning then? Some sort of hidden defect that might explode at some point in the future, with pixels flying all over the screen and keyboard? Or is the image suffering from PTSD, stressed from all the excessive slider attacks in postprocessing?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2016, 04:44:24 pm »

More tests and a workaround:

It appears to be a mismatch of checksums. One of the supposed benefits of DNGs is that they store a checksum of the original image file so you can validate at a later time if the file has been changed to identify potential errors. This is performed automatically when you go to the Develop module or open the file in ACR, and can be run on demand in Library-> Validate DNG files.

My empirical conclusion is that this is indeed a LR bug when merging a pano from HDR DNGs.

Workaround:
Export the "damaged" file as DNG (not as original). The checksum is recalculated in the process and the resulting file does not have any issue.

You can export to the same location and then synchronize the folder (and delete the troubled file if you wish)

As in most workarounds, it results in a innefficient workflow, so I hope this gets addressed soon by Adobe

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Update: "The image appears to be damaged" being addressed by Adobe
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2016, 05:12:26 pm »

Hi,

I'm glad to report that this issue of a warning about an apparent damage when you create a panorama out of HDR DNGs is currently being addressed by Adobe.

I was contacted by an Adobe representative because of this thread and asked if I could provide a set of files.
They were able to reproduce the issue and confirmed they are looking into it.

Regards

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 05:36:57 pm »

Sure wish they would fix this issue also:

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=108063.0

Additional problem with HDR.dng panos, in that LR over exposes the final result to the point of non recovery.

Paul C
Paul Caldwell
www.photosofarkansas.com

rdonson

Re: Update: "The image appears to be damaged" being addressed by Adobe
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 06:31:14 pm »

Hi,

I'm glad to report that this issue of a warning about an apparent damage when you create a panorama out of HDR DNGs is currently being addressed by Adobe.

I was contacted by an Adobe representative because of this thread and asked if I could provide a set of files.
They were able to reproduce the issue and confirmed they are looking into it.

Regards

That's excellent news, Frank!
Regards,
Ron

dreed

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2016, 08:18:13 am »

For me this is new to LR6.5 and accompanying Bridge update. I didn't have this problem with 6.4 or earlier.

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 08:33:27 am »

LR 6.4 did have the issue, don't know about earlier versions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up