Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NEC PA Series and Spectraview II Question  (Read 5537 times)

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
NEC PA Series and Spectraview II Question
« on: March 10, 2016, 01:16:27 pm »

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a NEC PA272W-BK-SV

Two quick questions as there is an option to purchase it with and without the Spectraview II.

If I purchase with the Spectraview - Can the Calibration sensor and software calibrate other monitors (I have two Dell 24" screens)

If I purchase without the Spectraview and buy and idisplaypro II calibration sensor, am I loosing any functions?

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Andrew
Architectural Photographer
http://www.andrewlatreille.com

AlterEgo

Re: NEC PA Series and Spectraview II Question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 01:47:34 pm »

Hi all,

I'm looking at purchasing a NEC PA272W-BK-SV

Two quick questions as there is an option to purchase it with and without the Spectraview II.

If I purchase with the Spectraview - Can the Calibration sensor and software calibrate other monitors (I have two Dell 24" screens)

If I purchase without the Spectraview and buy and idisplaypro II calibration sensor, am I loosing any functions?

Any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Andrew

you need either NEC or BasicColor software to use compatible hardware (colorimeter, spectrophotometer) and use hardware LUTs in monitor itself ... I do not think X-Rite software supplied with generic i1DisplayPro can work with NEC hardware (write to h/w luts in monitor).. but you can buy monitor, i1DisplayPro and software all 3 things separately

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 04:46:27 pm »

Thanks @alterego.

So if I buy the monitor with the NEC sensor, can this sensor calibrate my other monitors also?

Cheers

Andrew

Yahor Shumski

• My business
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2016, 05:03:46 am »

Andrew,
NEC sensor technically is a custom calibrated X-Rite iOne Display sensor. You can use it with 3rd party monitors.
Adobe Certified Expert (Photoshop CC)

Doug Fisher

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2016, 11:41:15 am »

Please double-check with NEC.  Unless things have changed, you cannot use the NEC branded puck with other software.  The Spectraview II software will work with many different third-party calibration devices.  NEC has a list on their website.  I would avoid buying the NEC puck if I had a choice and put that money toward a third party puck that can be used with many devices (e.g. tablet, phone, etc.), now and in the future, not just NEC devices.  The NEC support guy confirmed it would be very hard for most users to notice any real-world difference between a profile created with an NEC branded puck and the equivalent Xrite product that doesn't have the NEC branding on it.  If you are buying a kit/package with your monitor, do a price comparison with the package and then individual parts.  With that said, the NEC Spectraview software is a must-have if you have an NEC monitor.  It is a dream compared to third-party software.

Doug

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2016, 07:38:56 pm »

Please double-check with NEC.  Unless things have changed, you cannot use the NEC branded puck with other software.  The Spectraview II software will work with many different third-party calibration devices.  NEC has a list on their website.  I would avoid buying the NEC puck if I had a choice and put that money toward a third party puck that can be used with many devices (e.g. tablet, phone, etc.), now and in the future, not just NEC devices.  The NEC support guy confirmed it would be very hard for most users to notice any real-world difference between a profile created with an NEC branded puck and the equivalent Xrite product that doesn't have the NEC branding on it.  If you are buying a kit/package with your monitor, do a price comparison with the package and then individual parts.  With that said, the NEC Spectraview software is a must-have if you have an NEC monitor.  It is a dream compared to third-party software.

Doug
Hi Doug,
Thank you very much, and a good idea to do a comparison.
Ill check in with NEC on Monday.
Cheers
Andrew

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2016, 12:32:58 pm »

I'm writing this for others who may wish to review this in the future.

I ended up ordering the below as separate items.  As the panel was on sale it came out to $20 more expensive than the NEC combo(which was also on sale)

NEC PA272W-BK-SV
X-Rite  idisplaypro
NEC Spectraview Software

I'll report when I have set them up.

Thanks.

Andrew

alatreille

• Between the Buildings
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2016, 06:22:58 pm »

Hi all,

So after working with the PA272W for a couple of weeks....wow.  Wonderful!

Something has come up though.

In using Spectraview software, I'm unable to use it to calibrate my other two monitors (the laptop screen and a Dell IPS display)

A question:

Can I run the idisplaypro software in parallel with the spectraview software, to calibrate the other two displays?

Cheers

Andrew

Breacher1

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2016, 03:19:03 pm »

I do but I don't leave the idisplay software running in the background.  Just launch it when I want to calibrate my Sony and use the Spectraview for my NEC.  It does conflict if Spectraview is running at the same time as the iDisplay.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2016, 10:35:30 am »

I have two PA241W monitors and have been using Spectraview since I purchased them. (I run Windows 10.) Absolutely, the most painless way to regularly profile them. I've been using my very old, but still good Eye1 Pro to calibrate, but just recently (because X-rite wants truly obscene amounts of money to upgrade), the Colorvision Spyder 5 Elite. An equally painless experience and no discernible differences .

So to your problem. You can only have one calibration software running at a time. Disable idisplay. Also, Spectraview is not anticipating that you are using a notebook and an external. It only looks for NEC monitors, and those need to be connected via USB so there is two-way communication. For that reason, you may need to temporarily use idisplay for notebook calibration (I'm not really familiar with the program), and after doing so, disable it and reboot. The computer should read the calibration file .

AlterEgo

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2016, 10:46:23 am »

I've been using my very old, but still good Eye1 Pro to calibrate, but just recently (because X-rite wants truly obscene amounts of money to upgrade)

for the display calibration purposes you could just get i1DisplayPro colorimeter, which was reg. on sale (@ B&H) for <= $160 quite many times recently... why'd you need to upgrade spectrophotometer to the next model spectrophotometer (i1Pro2) in this (display calibration) case ?

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 08:27:02 am »

Please double-check with NEC.  Unless things have changed, you cannot use the NEC branded puck with other software.
Doug
I have a NEC branded colorimeter and it works fine with ArgyllCMS though you do need to install the Argyll driver for the puck.
Pages: [1]   Go Up