Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review  (Read 55750 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Canon imagePROGRAF PRO-1000 Printer Review
« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2017, 04:06:11 pm »

Please see my comments in bold for ease of distinction.

First thanks for the effort and nice results of a review like this. Much appreciated.

You are welcome.

One from the printer plugin:

"It has a function to adjust sharpness according to paper characteristics; I have not been able to test this to see what it really does, but sounds interesting." Cannot find this.

Same status - I have not found it either. I suspect it is built into the driver and the precise character of it gets adjusted under the hood as a function of the Media Type one chooses, but if any one else knows better, please speak-up.

Another feature mentioned is:

"Profiling: While these professional printers are built to a high degree of uniformity from unit to unit, it can be that the OEM provided profiles may not be optimal for your particular unit. To cater for this potential issue without the user needing to buy any external profiling software, the printer has an in-built automated profiling capability that works with a set of printed patches and internal sensors to tweak the provided profiles. Also very cool."

Haven't found this either. Trying out the calibration feature, but haven't found the profiling feature anywhere. Will rely on the i1Pro for this still.

It is actually the calibration tool accessible on the panel, used in conjunction with the Media Configuration Tool for papers other than Canon papers.

Regards
Henrik
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

JimPalik

« Reply #101 on: July 27, 2017, 03:54:10 am »

Hopefully Mark is still reviewing comments or questions. I have read the entire review and nothing there talks about paper registration. I posted the following request under another topic but have not gotten any replies. Can you please help here.

I currently have an Epson 3880. I am happy with the print quality of the 3880 but I have two unique problems. I print photographic art greeting cards, 4-up on B3+ paper.

1. The 3880 does not register each sheet perfectly. It is OK for individual prints but if I print 10 or 20 sheets at a time they will all vary by either a minor skew or miss-register by a millimeter or two. This makes it impossible to take a stack of prints to a large paper cutter and group cut them. Each B3+ must be cut by hand. I have the same problem with folding.

Can you tell me if the Canon vacuum feed registers multiple prints accurately?

2. I score every print for folding. The ink on the 3880 sometimes cracks after scoring when folding the print. Does anyone have experience scoring a printed image and then folding it?

Any other feedback would be appreciated. Especially if anyone has switched to the Canon pro 1000 from the Epson 3880.

Thank you in advance,

Jim Palik

MarkFarber

• Mark Farber
« Reply #102 on: September 20, 2017, 03:22:04 pm »

Mark: With a lot of help from you, I've recently replaced my 3880 with the PRO-1000, and I'm now trying to test Canon's Premium Fine Art Smooth paper.  After 20 minutes of web search, I cannot find Canon's ICC profile for this paper (or any of their papers) anywhere.  There was a set of profiles with the printer driver but it didn't include this one.  Help, please?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #103 on: September 20, 2017, 05:42:36 pm »

Mark: With a lot of help from you, I've recently replaced my 3880 with the PRO-1000, and I'm now trying to test Canon's Premium Fine Art Smooth paper.  After 20 minutes of web search, I cannot find Canon's ICC profile for this paper (or any of their papers) anywhere.  There was a set of profiles with the printer driver but it didn't include this one.  Help, please?

Please send me your email address.

Mark

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #104 on: September 20, 2017, 05:47:05 pm »

Sorry, I don't use Tapatalk. Please PM me through this Forum's Message service.

Mark

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2017, 08:26:22 am »

Hopefully Mark is still reviewing comments or questions. I have read the entire review and nothing there talks about paper registration. I posted the following request under another topic but have not gotten any replies. Can you please help here.

I currently have an Epson 3880. I am happy with the print quality of the 3880 but I have two unique problems. I print photographic art greeting cards, 4-up on B3+ paper.

1. The 3880 does not register each sheet perfectly. It is OK for individual prints but if I print 10 or 20 sheets at a time they will all vary by either a minor skew or miss-register by a millimeter or two. This makes it impossible to take a stack of prints to a large paper cutter and group cut them. Each B3+ must be cut by hand. I have the same problem with folding.

Can you tell me if the Canon vacuum feed registers multiple prints accurately?

2. I score every print for folding. The ink on the 3880 sometimes cracks after scoring when folding the print. Does anyone have experience scoring a printed image and then folding it?

Any other feedback would be appreciated. Especially if anyone has switched to the Canon pro 1000 from the Epson 3880.

Thank you in advance,

Jim Palik

Sorry Jim, but I seem to have missed this. Anyhow better late than never and you haven't lost anything useful from me over the interval, because I can't answer these questions. I have not tested the accuracy of paper throughput over numerous sheets being fed from a stack of paper in the feeder because I print one sheet at a time, always, and I hadn't seen evidence before of reader interest in this matter. But for what it's worth in a one-sheet-at-a-time scenario, the Canon Pro-1000 has never misfeed a sheet or delivered a paper skew error in all the time I have been working with it. Nor have I tested what happens to ink once one scores the printed sheet. I trust you appreciate these are very specialized concerns so a reviewer would not necessarily anticipate them and test for them.

MarkFarber

• Mark Farber
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2017, 02:36:36 pm »

To close out my Sep 20 post above, in case anyone else experiences this problem, here's how Canon helped me fix the case of the missing Fine Art Smooth:

There were two related problems we were trying to solve.  First, I didn’t have the FineArtSmooth icc.  Second, in the Media Type pulldown, I didn’t have the Premium Fine Art Smooth media type under Fine Art Papers.

The tech and I walked through the list of media types, and I had every single one except FAS.  We confirmed that the problem wasn’t a LR problem because it occurred in LR, PS, Preview, and Powerpoint.  And I had every other Canon paper icc profile except FAS.

It was an odd process.  He took me through a couple of normal exercises (which I had already tried, but tried again in case he did something different): re-loading the driver, re-updating firmware.  Each time, we closed LR, rebooted the Mac, but no cigar.  I think what finally did it was the Canon Media Configuration Tool, which is normally used for adding new 3rd party papers but we used it to add the FAS media type.  Again, closed Lightroom, rebooted the computer, but no change.

He was stumped and said he needed to talk to “engineering” and he’d call me back.  He never did call me back.  But, after lunch and a final desperate reboot, somehow the FAS icc and media types showed up.  All I can think of was that the Media Configuration Tool did the trick, but for some reason it took TWO reboots for the change to take hold.

In any event, I was generally pleased with Canon support.  I'm pleased with the PRO-1000 so far.  And FAS is a nice paper.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up