Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Z3200 Matt Black rubs off on canvas  (Read 2037 times)

NackJich

Z3200 Matt Black rubs off on canvas
« on: March 05, 2016, 01:07:48 pm »

Hi, wonder if anyone has resolved this issue? I'm printing on Hahnemuhle Leonardo canvas, the black (has to be matt black I suppose) is so easy to rub off. I made a test image using another paper preset which made use of the photo black ink, but caused head strikes across the print. However, this new canvas print was much more resistant to the smudge! Is there any way to override the media thickness settings?  I'm guessing that matt black is optimal for canvas and the next step should be to apply varnish, but I am printing images of Rock Stars and the photo black does look impressive with them.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: Z3200 Matt Black rubs off on canvas
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 04:13:10 pm »

You could try building another preset based on Fine Art Paper Canvas (more ink) - it uses both black inks, actually 2 blacks and 2 grays  (HP Quad-Black) Q.  Take a look at the chart below - notice that setting has a high carriage height.

Just for good measure, I'd run a paper advance calibration after calibrating the canvas, then make the  profile based on the Quad setting.  Let it dry a long time, then do your finish over it.

GO TO BOTTOM CHART - FINE ART PAPER

Guess your printer is running ok other than that?

Cheers,

-Mark

Edit for spelling
« Last Edit: March 05, 2016, 04:18:20 pm by Mark Lindquist »
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

NackJich

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2016, 05:48:53 pm »

Hi Mark,

The printer is good, but I think its the cooling fan that's making a constant noise (but a folded up towel helps to dampen it!) Need to source one and fit it sooon. I followed your instructions, but with mixed results. Yes the PB ink is there on the print BUT there is an odd kind of banding where the colours seem to stand out against the black. I may have to just use varnish on the prints I made using the original (Matt black) profile. At least there will be some protection from the elements, and I gather it is recommended. I was trying to cut corners, but not really getting there fast. I'll attach an image which shows the enhanced places on the print. You see along the edge of the denim on the sleeve there is a kind of tide mark as it turns to black. Thanks for your time. BTW this is Status Quo from the early seventies.

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2016, 07:07:04 pm »

Gee, that banding shouldn't be there. I think you could try a different print setting - use "more passes" only.  Sometimes that helps.

Here is info from an HP Document about the issues you have:

"Check that the paper type you have loaded corresponds to the paper type selected in the front panel and in your software. To check on the front panel, use the View loaded paper key.
Check that you are using appropriate print-quality settings for your purposes (see Printing). In some cases, you can overcome a print-quality problem merely by selecting a higher print-quality level. For instance, if you have set the Print Quality slider to Speed, try setting it to Quality; if you have already set it to Quality, try selecting custom options and then More Passes. If you change the print-quality settings, you may wish to reprint your job at this point in case the problem has been solved.
Print the Image Diagnostics Print. See The Image Diagnostics Printimage diagnostics print .
If the printheads are working correctly, go to the front panel and press the View loaded paper key to see the paper advance calibration status. If the status is RECOMMENDED, you should perform paper advance calibration: see Recalibrate the paper advance."

Paper advance calibration should have fixed that issue.

Maybe run another diagnostic print on Gloss or semi-gloss paper and see if you have an issue with any of the black heads.  My guess is that you still have some printhead issues that should be cleaned and/or replaced.

Oddly enough, those small banding marks can disappear by just changing the print settings to either better or less  - just do the opposite of what you're doing now.

Did you put new print heads and new inks in that thing?  Recently expired printheads should be okay....

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

NackJich

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 07:49:42 am »

Thanks Mark, I put new heads in recently, and all the banding I used to see has gone. One odd thing happened (maybe it does this all the time?) First I inserted a sheet of A3 canvas, selecting Canvas more ink at the printer. In color center at the PC I chose Canvas more ink, but there appeared a prompt saying the selected paper does not match the paper in the printer, select okay to make changes automatically (which is what i did). Can't see how I could have done this incorrectly?
I'll have a play with different settings, and see what I can achieve...

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 09:53:07 am »

If you go to the console on the printer, go to Paper>Currently Loaded Paper and verify that you have the same paper you thought you did, and then make sure what you choose is the same.

By the way, I rarely put in a sheet of anything that hasn't first been calibrated then profiled with a custom profile that I make right in the machine with a unique label.  I would not just put any piece of canvas in without it having been calibrated and profiled.  Just too many headaches otherwise. The unique name identifies it throughout the system.

FWIW/YMMV

Mark
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up