Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: How much quality do you really need?  (Read 48953 times)

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
Re: How much quality do you really need?
« Reply #200 on: March 23, 2016, 11:17:25 am »

Good comments! Thank you!

Best regards
Erik

+1000, Jack. Your previous place sounds wonderful - I hope to retire to something like this, a small house in the Ozarks. I too have the weekend syndrome because I live in the middle of the city, though I really ought to try to get out early morning (dawn, before work) on summer weekdays to the city park 3 blocks from my house for insects. I have thought about photographing "hospital critters" for fun - the bunnies out by the employee parking lot, the male house finch singing away on top of the hospital transformer (their feet have grade AAA electrical insulation!), the mourning doves nesting in the garage, on ledges, house sparrows diving for the crumbs left by people eating in the street, etc.

I have been hiking in all sorts of weather, in crummy light, just to explore new trails and (mostly) to get fit and keep sane after a week in the office. Plus, there's always something new to learn about the ecosystem or even "under" the ecosystem (I am learning a little geology for beginners, having noted that there is some variety in sedimentary rocks around where I live, and even a few fossils). The local nature preserve offers a lot of adult education classes on observational ecology - wildflowers, mushrooms, soil types, etc. I haven't quite made up my mind to have a whack at mathematical ecology.

Glad it resonated, thank you.

Yes on the comment of "always something to learn" about the ecosystem. That is something that must be acquired over time.

If being at "the right place at the right time" = equals success ... then knowing the land, and when to expect the best results, gives you greater likelihood of being timely and thereby achieving what you want.

Jack

PS: I too love geology. The rocks, mountains, etc. of CA are great for this. Just wish I had more time these days  :(

John Koerner

• "Fortune favors the bold." Virgil
    • John Koerner Photography
« Reply #201 on: March 23, 2016, 11:23:16 am »

Now I'm in the process of starting a manufacturing company, and I'm sure this will chew up all my free time. Though I'll try to not let this get too much in the way and actually use the extra money to open up better opportunities.

I empathize with your entire post, but this part most of all at this point: :(

Should be drafting reports right now, rather than "talking photography," in fact, lol

@Nancy: Since I started hiking a few years ago I never stopped. Even when the light is bad and the weather is even worse, I still find it incredibly useful. As you said, there's always something new to learn or experience. Besides, when the weather is not that good, very few people hike in the same place I do, so that's a plus if you don't want to clone out brightly colored shirts!

I am not Nancy, but always try to go where "humans" tend not to go, for this and other reasons.

While in Florida, not only did I have 50 acres of wilderness as a backyard, but a 10-min drive put me in the 5-million-acre Jena WMA swamp, coastal preserve, etc., where there were alligators, snakes, and a whole host of other delightful opportunities.

Just do not have the time, or proximity, to such resources here in LA ... but hope to change that in 2 years.

In the meantime, will be spending my $$ on monthly trips, and (if possible) knowledgeable guides, to improve my images, no longer on equipment.

Jack

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #202 on: March 23, 2016, 12:07:46 pm »

FWIW: concentrate on the business - leave photography for 'holidays' and/or retirement! It can wait. Real life, on which everything else depends, can not.

That's the idea! I'm always trying to fit in opportunities, though the weather hasn't helped much the past couple months so I had more time to work. I'll definitely keep most of that for holidays. I have plenty of travels already planned thanks to many long time friends all over the globe, I just need the money to afford them. Besides, retirement for me is way too far into the future (if it ever happens!) and I quite like my new field of work. I can always find something else if I get bored, I've done quite a lot from business applications programming to sales, from graphic design to plastic composites.

While in Florida, not only did I have 50 acres of wilderness as a backyard, but a 10-min drive put me in the 5-million-acre Jena WMA swamp, coastal preserve, etc., where there were alligators, snakes, and a whole host of other delightful opportunities.

My still living grandma (she's a tank, going strong at 94 after beating breast tumors two times) lives in the countryside in northern Italy (Alassio, if you want to check out the place). As a family we own a big chunk of land on a hill on top of the city, and that's the place I want to invest in. My aunt and two of my cousins with families live there as well (all adjacent houses), plus there are more buildings that can be converted to homes and I have many plans for that.

While I got paid for my photography at times, the last of which this past week, I don't really see myself doing it full time. I'm not even sure I want to do it as a job, even though I might do something about it one day. Right now I want to make money to make my life better and keep photography as something that gives me a way to express my ideas, as well as a tool to help with depression. But I'm still young and there's plenty of time for me to do all the things I want to.

I really hope you can have the changes you need in two years!
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up