Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 200 serries Hasselblad with a Digital back is poss  (Read 13169 times)

Ed Jack

200 serries Hasselblad with a Digital back is poss
« on: May 10, 2006, 11:53:57 am »

Apparently a 200 serries Hasselblad with a Digital back is possible after all with the FE lenses and not just that "fudge" with C-lens only limmitation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hasselblad-CFV-digital...1QQcmdZViewItem

God I wish I hadn't sold my 200-serries kit to fund the H-serries kit, those FE lenses are so much faster, e.g. Planar T* 2/110 FE

If this is true, then I'm guessing its the only back that can be used - shame its the low end 16MP version.

Ed

Terence h

• Terence Hogben Photography
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 04:35:05 pm »

Strange that the seller is asking over $11000 when the list price is $9995 for the Hasselblad CFV Back.

Regards
Terence
Terence Hogben. Durban. South Africa. ht

pprdigital

• http://www.phaseone.com
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 10:01:59 pm »

Strange that the seller is asking over $11000 when the list price is $9995 for the Hasselblad CFV Back.

Regards
Terence
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65014\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

No, not strange. Just a ripoff, that's all. I guess it's within their rights to sell it for whatever they want, but the list price is officially $9,995.

The CFV is a very cool development by Hasselblad. Unfortunately, it's "only" 16 megapixels, and will severely crop your Hasselblad lenses. But if you can live with those shortcomings, it is cool, because it looks and feels just like a traditional Hasselblad film back, use CF cards and features the new OLED screen.

Actually, I believe previous Hasselblad (Imacon) digital backs could go on the 200 series, but you couldn't use the lenses without sync ports on them. With the CFV, Hasselblad gets around that limitation by utilizing the dark slide detector to sync with the shutter. The CFV will also work on any other V-series Hasselblad.

This development is expected to be implemented in all the future Hasselblad CF-series digital backs which use the interchangable plate system for the Hasselblad V-Series. That means that you could have a wireless solution for any Hasselblad V-Series (5xx or 2xx) at 22MP, 39MP and whatever comes after.

Steve Hendrix
PPR Digital
Steve Hendrix
[url=http://www.phaseone.c

RolandBaker

• http://www.netexpresslabs.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 12:33:01 am »

No, not strange. Just a ripoff, that's all. I guess it's within their rights to sell it for whatever they want, but the list price is officially $9,995.

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65037\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Actually I know the sellers and they are very reputable and very large reseller in Germany and have been an excellent source for Hasselblad and Leica gear. My friends and I buy from them a lot. Up until a few weeks ago the pricing from them was below US prices for most items. The problem you are seeing with the pricing reflects the sudden drop in the US dollar against the Euro. This has distorted their selling prices in US dollars and I would imagine harmed their US sale immensely. However, it is not due to them trying to bilk anyone. Just market forces at work on the currency exchange as the dollar loses its value.
Best regards,
 Roland

Ed Jack

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2006, 08:18:33 am »

Actually I know the sellers and they are very reputable and very large reseller in Germany and have been an excellent source for Hasselblad and Leica gear. My friends and I buy from them a lot. Up until a few weeks ago the pricing from them was below US prices for most items. The problem you are seeing with the pricing reflects the sudden drop in the US dollar against the Euro. This has distorted their selling prices in US dollars and I would imagine harmed their US sale immensely. However, it is not due to them trying to bilk anyone. Just market forces at work on the currency exchange as the dollar loses its value.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65051\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I am thinking gof swapping my H1 kit (with 80mm standard lens) for a demo 203FE from Hasselblad direct - which is an ex-demo model and lens.. which if its the planar FE 110/F2.0 I guess is a good deal/idea ? I will make sure it comes with the modification to use digital backs - do I loose something in the conversion of the dark slide sensor ?

I think that the H1 has been nice, but hasn't developed as a system in terms of new lens and availability of second hand stock.

Am I mental chucking away the newest of the Hasselblad bunch (with AF and automatic film advance etc), to return to a disoncitnued camera - just to get acces to FE lens and other exotic and/or cheap older Hassielenses.
I'm doing a bit more wild life and natural light shooting and the telephoto and fast FE lenses and other C-serries past lenses off this at better value that the H-system and the option of focal plane shutters ?

Maybe I'm being swayed into fantasy land by Hand-built Sweedish cameras and fast primes ?

Ed

Ed Jack

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2006, 08:25:46 am »

I am thinking gof swapping my H1 kit (with 80mm standard lens) for a demo 203FE from Hasselblad direct - which is an ex-demo model and lens.. which if its the planar FE 110/F2.0 I guess is a good deal/idea ? I will make sure it comes with the modification to use digital backs - do I loose something in the conversion of the dark slide sensor ?

I think that the H1 has been nice, but hasn't developed as a system in terms of new lens and availability of second hand stock.

Am I mental chucking away the newest of the Hasselblad bunch (with AF and automatic film advance etc), to return to a disoncitnued camera - just to get acces to FE lens and other exotic and/or cheap older Hassielenses.
I'm doing a bit more wild life and natural light shooting and the telephoto and fast FE lenses and other C-serries past lenses off this at better value that the H-system and the option of focal plane shutters ?

Maybe I'm being swayed into fantasy land by Hand-built Sweedish cameras and fast primes ?

Ed
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65213\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Steve,
     Is it really true that Hasselblad CF backs will be supported by my modified 203FA if I get it ? Do present models have this support by default, or do they themselves need ordered modified ? The CF backs are availble as 22 and 39MP chips are they not ? What do you loose in terms of MF-digital functionality by using a 200 serries Hasselblad rather than a H1 ? The H1 can transmit exif data to the data, but that's all you gain isn't it ? Maybe  even the 203FE can do this too as it is quite new (was around when the first digi backs came out before the H1) and does have a serial bus for data ?

Ed

Gary Ferguson

• http://
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2006, 07:09:45 am »

What do you loose in terms of MF-digital functionality by using a 200 serries Hasselblad rather than a H1 ? The H1 can transmit exif data to the data, but that's all you gain isn't it ?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65214\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I have both an H and a V outfit. But when I bought a digital back I decided to get it in a V fitting, as on balance the V system better fitted my main photographic requirements,

-an easily portable tilt and shift option across a wide range of focal lengths via the Flexbody
-a low distortion, wide-angle option with the 903 CW/F, and an equally low distortion, medium focal length option with the 100mm CFi.
-a high quality, wide angle option with the 40mm IF, which delivers noticeably better quality than my Hasselblad H series 35mm
-the option of using the sensor in vertical or horizontal formats without swinging the camera onto its side
-more convenient waist level/low level usage
-a wider range of viewfinders and focusing screens

However, everything in photography is a compromise, and I'd prefer the H system for,

-hand-held usage, where the H system has a clear advantage over the V system, especially at lower speeds because of its smaller and better damped mirror
-the H 80mm, which is noticeably superior to the V system CFE 80mm
-the H 120mm Macro, which gives higher quality in the lower magnification ranges (ie at longer distances) than the V system 120mm lens
-better digital integration, with no additional cabling to go wrong

I don't believe there's a hands down "best choice" when it comes to choosing a camera system for your digital back. But there's significant positive and negative factors with all the main options, so it's worth thinking hard about which really is the best camera system for your personal applications.
Pages: [1]   Go Up