Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Best of the Bunch  (Read 95124 times)

mbaginy

Re: Best of the Bunch
« Reply #241 on: March 05, 2017, 11:19:54 am »

Rob, there are so many wonderful books I'd like to buy, read, thumb through.  Over the Christmas holidays I began painting my living room.  The greatest chore was to empty the book shelves, pull forward the shelving and then return everything to its former spot.  I got sidetracked, thumbing through my art books and at the end of the holidays, I still wasn't finished.  All those books!  I plan to move to the Baltic coast of Poland when I retire in some 38 months.  I already dread transporting all those books!  But how can one toss out books?!!

Rob C

« Reply #242 on: March 05, 2017, 02:02:01 pm »

Rob, there are so many wonderful books I'd like to buy, read, thumb through.  Over the Christmas holidays I began painting my living room.  The greatest chore was to empty the book shelves, pull forward the shelving and then return everything to its former spot.  I got sidetracked, thumbing through my art books and at the end of the holidays, I still wasn't finished.  All those books!  I plan to move to the Baltic coast of Poland when I retire in some 38 months.  I already dread transporting all those books!  But how can one toss out books?!!

Don't speak about it!

Today I decided to start to do some early spring cleaning, not because it may soon be that time of year, but because as often happens, I think about the task facing me if this apartment finds a buyer. I want to leave with the least possible baggage! The stuff you find: I discovered a couple of wedding pictures and had the shock of my life seeing how young we both looked: kids! That was depressing enough, and then I found some shots I'd made during a recce in France, with my wife standing in as model for some locations, just to show the client what the place looked like. I'd forgotten all about those pics... lumps in the throat, then. I discovered a tiny book about Van Gogh - in Italian - so my mother must have bought it on a trip long, long ago.

If anybody wants some double, unused scart plug cables... I have loads of Hi-Fi stuff that duplicated stuff the system already had; I also discovered two small loop aerials. I found a couple of rolls of Ektachrome with flash exposure tests, my poor put-upon daughter standing there holding aparture numbers. I really thought all of that material had been dumped before we came out here! I also found myself surprised seeing just how small 6x6 Hassy frames look, and how tiny the little indents!

I have a bag full of books for the charity shop; one I have to keep because my wife had written her name inside it. Reminds me of those days when the neoghbours were all great folks, and we used to swap books all the time...

There's not a lot of pleasure sifting through one's life and wondering where to cut emotional connections and where to keep things.

Rob C

« Reply #243 on: March 05, 2017, 02:49:12 pm »

This guy I first encountered on the Pages of Playboy during the 60s/70s. Great painter - interesting "About". I didn't know he was the creator of the little Femlin.

http://www.leroyneiman.com/shop/

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2017, 04:44:48 am »

Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #245 on: March 07, 2017, 04:02:16 am »

Personal friend and photographer/Videographer for U2, Depeche Mode, etc..., also director of "The American", a wonderfully thrilling and evocative movie.

https://www.google.com/search?q=anton+corbijn
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #246 on: March 11, 2017, 02:55:03 pm »

One of the most beautiful of them all - even in later years.

I saw her on a Fashion TV (from Toronto) show with Jeanne Beker; she was holding up a bag and I remember her saying: "this is a new bag" and then, pointing to herself: "this is an old bag!" Now that's confidence!

https://www.google.es/search?q=paulina+porizkova+photos&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=19WMU_P9L82iqAbvloHoAg&sqi=2&ved=0CCgQsAQ&biw=1249&bih=886#facrc=_&imgrc=Kmovxrz82t1ijM:

Here she is, working for the boyfriend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZA6qiJVfU

Rob

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #248 on: March 14, 2017, 06:38:29 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #249 on: March 18, 2017, 04:26:30 pm »

Scroll down a tad, and there's some video to click on this link:

http://www.enquire.it/2016/08/01/a-portrait-of-peggy-guggenheim/

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #250 on: March 22, 2017, 04:39:55 pm »

mbaginy

« Reply #251 on: March 23, 2017, 03:48:55 pm »

Thanks for those link Rob!  Great viewing.

Rob C

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:13:45 pm by Rob C »

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #253 on: March 25, 2017, 02:45:36 am »

One of the most beautiful of them all - even in later years.

I saw her on a Fashion TV (from Toronto) show with Jeanne Beker; she was holding up a bag and I remember her saying: "this is a new bag" and then, pointing to herself: "this is an old bag!" Now that's confidence!

https://www.google.es/search?q=paulina+porizkova+photos&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=19WMU_P9L82iqAbvloHoAg&sqi=2&ved=0CCgQsAQ&biw=1249&bih=886#facrc=_&imgrc=Kmovxrz82t1ijM:

Here she is, working for the boyfriend:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuZA6qiJVfU

Rob

Thank you for the link Rob, indeed one of the most beautiful.

Rob C

« Reply #254 on: March 25, 2017, 05:04:13 am »

Thank you for the link Rob, indeed one of the most beautiful.

Hi Riaan!

Thought you'd gone off on long-term safari! Or at the very least, invested in a diamond mine.

I've often wondered at the strangeness of gold and diamonds etc. as measures of value. I understand their worth in terms of resistance to all manner of corrosion and damage and so on, how difficult it is to collect them, and how useful at the sharp part of a drill and inside a cellphone, but at the end of it all, they remain just rocks and metal. A ring would look just the same with a few bits of polished glass... If it takes a lot of expertise to tell the difference, don't tell me that her nibs can tell all by her untrained self! The worth must be measured by the bucks Big Daddy has spent buying it for her. Which poses the thought: if the man of the moment is a jeweller, can she trust him to have given her value or just something he couldn't sell and had lying about at the back of the store? How could she tell?

Which amazing thought forwards another two: does a lady who has achieved the big bucks the hard way, all by her own efforts and skills, also buy herself little rocks and metal rings? Or does she have different values? That's a bonus for today: immediate post-breakfast philosophical discussion! I feel quite exhausted by all of this; better pour another cup of cha. It's something some snappers do...

;-)

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #255 on: March 25, 2017, 08:02:13 am »

Some good advice etc. from Albert Watson, in two parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0xNkwEPDg4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9EJ7RTYWXQ

Rob

Actually 4 parts, there is a 1A and a 3 :)

Funny, after all that insistence on not getting obsessed with the gear, I saw there is another vid where he is endorsing a Phase 1 of some type. He seems like a man who knows how to get the bills paid :-)

(Funny in a way, he started off choosing between mathematics and art school. Art school was also my plan B if I didn't get into the mathematics PhD program I wanted... I went the other way).

Rob C

« Reply #256 on: March 25, 2017, 03:37:11 pm »

Actually 4 parts, there is a 1A and a 3 :)

Funny, after all that insistence on not getting obsessed with the gear, I saw there is another vid where he is endorsing a Phase 1 of some type. He seems like a man who knows how to get the bills paid :-)

(Funny in a way, he started off choosing between mathematics and art school. Art school was also my plan B if I didn't get into the mathematics PhD program I wanted... I went the other way).

Yes, I've corrected the post now.

He really comes alive when he tries to point out the difference betwen a job and being a photographer.

What he doesn't have to point out, though, by virtue of his success if nothing else, is that all photography is not equal any more than are all photographers equal. That first part, about the type, used to drive some members of my family crazy: they couldn't understand why I wouldn't do weddings but would do fashion stuff even for clients who couldn't pay much for it. This came to mind, in a way, at lunch today: the owner is French and a great chef, but as with everywhere here, struggling with the economic change and especially its effect on the Brits, both resident and tourists, of whom there are precious few to be seen right now, at least before Easter. The point that brings him into the photographic genre thing is this: as I eat, I was thinking whether I should or should not risk paying him a sort of backhanded compliment by telling him he shared my problem, which is that he is not capable of cutting his cloth to suit the clients. In other words, he's mentally incapable of cutting his high standards to stay within the price he has to charge, which means it's going to get tougher as everything rises in price - especially vegetables right now - which was exactly where I found myself at one stage during my fashion career: I couldn't bring myself to cutting corners because the client wasn't able to pay what others could. The only compromise was to stay studio-bound and not do exteriors. But whatever I did had to be done to the best of my ability to do it. Just like his cooking.

In the end, I eat and didn't try to broach the subject: I might not have been able to phrase it properly enough, quickly enough in French or Spanish and he could easily have flown into a rage and banned me! I don't need that!

Rob

Riaan van Wyk

« Reply #257 on: March 28, 2017, 02:54:09 am »

Hi Riaan!

Thought you'd gone off on long-term safari! Or at the very least, invested in a diamond mine.

Rob

I wish Rob. For the safari that is and not a diamond mine, well not in my country anyway.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #258 on: March 29, 2017, 10:34:50 am »

Maybe this belongs here for aggregation purposes...

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=117163.0
Regards,
~ O ~

Rob C

« Reply #259 on: March 30, 2017, 05:04:40 pm »

Just in case any of us in this little group of snappers thinks we are the best in the world, here's a little collection of people I've never heard of, but who have made some damned nice images. Worth runnig the video just for the show that comes along:

http://theartofphotography.tv/episodes/photo-assignments-red/

Rob

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up