Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Best of the Bunch  (Read 95151 times)

Rob C

Re: Best of the Bunch
« Reply #180 on: November 04, 2016, 05:10:48 am »

Ah yes, although I'm a little disturbed by the model's apparent lack of eyebrows. Page 88 is the one that knocks my socks off, but it wasn't really professional work...

Lille-Mor...

Yes, and that's where film comes into its apparently new beauty: close up detail of a face, but with none of the cruelty of digital which has either to turn it into plastic or landscapes of Mars.

How delightful for him that, in order to forget her, he just went off to NY... I'd like to see how they'd react to my doing the same today! Probably jail me as an illegal immigrant. I remember when I had to go to the States: needed to get a visa from London; unlike all the other lands to which I'd travelled professionally, they wouldn't oblige me with an official stamp on my written request that as a working professional, my film be subject to a hand-search and not risk ruin in an X-Ray machine (I had proof of damage when my stuff was scanned in Mallorca - tan turns to khaki). Before we landed in Miami we had to declare how much money we had available etc. etc.

Whether this came from national ego and/or possibly misplaced self-belief I don't know; all I'd say is that I had no intention of remaining there and it offered nothing by way of visible lifestyle that wasn't available in a far more peaceful Spain! As bad and inconvenient: for a later trip I was told that a visa was not renewable, and that I would have to retain the old, obsolete passport in which the original visa resided! So there you have it: "Passenger arrested in suspicious circumstances carrying two passports!" I can see the strapline as I write. Who said I have no sense of the dramatic?

;-)

Rob

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #181 on: November 04, 2016, 08:27:57 am »

Tell me about it... I used to fly quite often for work meetings from Australia. Since no one was paying me there, I simply wrote "vacation". Except the time I was travelling with a colleague who decided to feel important and write something about "professional interactions" an then we were spotted together at the baggage carousel. Or the other colleague who was nearly banned because the airline neglected to rip the little green voucher out of his passport to show he'd left the country.

He was told he wouldn't be let back in as he couldn't prove he'd left...

Haven't been for years... not missing it.

Rob C

« Reply #182 on: November 04, 2016, 11:44:02 am »

Tell me about it... I used to fly quite often for work meetings from Australia. Since no one was paying me there, I simply wrote "vacation". Except the time I was travelling with a colleague who decided to feel important and write something about "professional interactions" an then we were spotted together at the baggage carousel. Or the other colleague who was nearly banned because the airline neglected to rip the little green voucher out of his passport to show he'd left the country.

He was told he wouldn't be let back in as he couldn't prove he'd left...

Haven't been for years... not missing it.

It's a great shame; all the Americans I have actually met seem to be very pleasant, straightforward people of a natural generosity of spirit. Perhaps the government knows this and, seeing it as a weakness, tries to compensate.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #183 on: November 04, 2016, 03:43:39 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #184 on: November 13, 2016, 11:27:57 am »

Another guy from that earlier Golden Age:

http://www.larrydalegordon.com/index.html

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #185 on: November 13, 2016, 12:27:35 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #186 on: November 16, 2016, 02:28:16 pm »

For Leiter likers: some additional images have been put onto this site since my last visit there.

http://www.gallery51.com/index.php?navigatieid=9&fotograafid=15

Rob

brianrybolt

« Reply #187 on: November 18, 2016, 06:26:06 am »

Another guy from that earlier Golden Age:

http://www.larrydalegordon.com/index.html

Rob

I never knew of Larry Dale Gordon, even though I'm from and worked in California.  Thanks for bringing him to my attention.
Brian

Rob C

« Reply #188 on: November 18, 2016, 02:57:32 pm »

I never knew of Larry Dale Gordon, even though I'm from and worked in California.  Thanks for bringing him to my attention.
Brian

No problem, Brian.

Did you know of Peter Gowland, also from California, who was huge in the 50s? There's also Stan Malinowski who may or may not have been from there, but certainly did some very 'modern' stuff for the period. Here's a link to his work:

http://www.modelpix.com/index2.html

He makes some funny comments about Leica etc. when he was trying to find out what Francis Giacobetti was using; crazy days.

Rob

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #190 on: November 21, 2016, 08:56:25 am »

http://www.msn.com/es-es/motor/noticias/el-calendario-pirelli-2017-entre-bambalinas/ss-AAkniIn?ocid=UE07DHP

So, Lindberg got the new Pirelli.

I wonder what the thing will look like this time.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2016, 04:27:28 pm »

Interesting black/white.

And colour, too.

http://www.oliviergarros.com/newsite/?page_id=1764

Rob
« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 04:38:33 pm by Rob C »

Patricia Sheley

« Reply #192 on: November 24, 2016, 10:05:07 pm »

...portraits, couleurs~ Thanks Rob
A common woman~

Rob C

« Reply #193 on: November 25, 2016, 08:32:14 am »

...portraits, couleurs~ Thanks Rob

Hi Patricia,

Glad you found something to enjoy. I'm starting to feel that my tastes don't really chime too well with the LuLa readership's and I will probably stop adding stuff to this section. Pointless exercise, pretty much.

Ciao -

Rob

degrub

« Reply #194 on: November 25, 2016, 11:42:02 am »

Hi Patricia,

Glad you found something to enjoy. I'm starting to feel that my tastes don't really chime too well with the LuLa readership's and I will probably stop adding stuff to this section. Pointless exercise, pretty much.

Ciao -

Rob

No,No,No !
Rob, it is precisely your varied interests and difference that make this forum.
And your ability to give perspective - on many experiences - those are invaluable and sorely lacking from those concentrated on making a living day to day.

Rob C

« Reply #195 on: November 26, 2016, 04:03:59 am »

No,No,No !
Rob, it is precisely your varied interests and difference that make this forum.
And your ability to give perspective - on many experiences - those are invaluable and sorely lacking from those concentrated on making a living day to day.

You have a PM.

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #196 on: November 26, 2016, 10:27:51 am »

I can't help myself: my spirit of generosity towards my fellow beings is overwhelming. ( ;-) )

For anyone interested in Robert Weaver and Saul Leiter:

http://meltonpriorinstitut.org/pages/textarchive.php5?view=print&ID=126&language=English

Some style similarities may interest...

I've also found, at long last, proof of where I first met the work of Leiter; it was indeed in '60 though I'd imagined it to be '59. However, as his work in colour preceded that year by quite a stretch, it does sweep the concept of Eggleston as some sort of pioneeer right off the carpet and into the bin. Helen Levitt was already there, too, in the world of colour street...

https://www.amazon.com/Color-Photography-Annual-1960/dp/B0018OSQVM

Rob
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 10:39:15 am by Rob C »

Telecaster

« Reply #197 on: November 26, 2016, 04:35:46 pm »

I haven't been commenting but I have been looking. Been a huge Saul Leiter fan in particular ever since his "rediscovery." Helen Levitt too. To my everlasting regret I had the chance to meet her ~12 years ago, and had to pass due to other commitments.  :-[

-Dave-
« Last Edit: November 26, 2016, 04:39:16 pm by Telecaster »

Rob C

« Reply #198 on: December 03, 2016, 04:20:50 pm »

« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 04:32:17 pm by Rob C »

Rob C

« Reply #199 on: December 04, 2016, 09:27:59 am »

Fior anybody whom imagined that the 60s of Bailey, Donvan and Duffy started anything:

https://www.google.es/search?q=lillian+bassman&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=7_tlU6mdJe2b0wW54IDABQ&sqi=2&ved=0CDAQsAQ&biw=1249&bih=886#tbm=isch&q=frank+horvat&imgrc=qmK7O6YzZN7StM%3A

It was already boiling busily away in the 50s... shades of Klein, and also of the next generation's Sieff.

The Horvat site:

www.horvatland.com

Rob
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14   Go Up