Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: Best of the Bunch  (Read 95137 times)

Rob C

Re: Best of the Bunch
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2016, 03:51:28 pm »

Damn! I hate having to say this but I totally agree. When cameras just had aperture rings and shutter speed dials I can't remember ever discussing edge sharpness, CA or whether the camera could internally process HDR images. The discussion of photgraphic aesthetics has been drowned out by reviews of the latest megapixel sensor.

You see? In the end, I have neither horns nor funny tail!

;-)

Rob C

jng

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2016, 10:47:44 pm »

Rob,

Thanks for these links describing Sarah Moon's work and experience. I suppose one perk of success is that people will listen more than they question.

John

EDIT: Or rather, once one has made it to a certain station in life, one has then earned the privilege of living it on one's own terms!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2016, 10:57:27 pm by jng »

JMCP

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2016, 10:07:05 am »

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the link about Eugene Smith. I don't have much in the way of knowledge on photographic history so had never heard of him but will make a point in reading what I can about him as that video certainly has me intrigued about the man and his work.

Cheers, John

Rob C

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2016, 11:47:50 am »

jng and JMCP,

Gad to have been of help; it's often quite difficult to find particular things on the web, and especially when you don't have a lot of previous knowledge of them  - classic Catch 22!

I also remember how difficult it used to be back in the pre-Internet days; it was usually a matter of luck at a bookshop or, for me, a newspaper/magazine kiosk in a big railway station - Glasgow's Central. And that used to be expensive - you had to buy!

;-)

Rob

P.S.

https://www.google.es/search?rls=en-us&q=Sarah+Moon&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=4&ct=title&tbm=isch&gws_rd=cr&ei=5g3bVtLRCMu_aI2Nl6gE

This gives a lot of images, most by her, but there are also some stowaways, which unfortunately often happens with similar groups of pictures.

mbaginy

« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2016, 03:29:42 pm »

The recent Sarah Moon photography exhibition in Hamburg (Germany) was a fabulous experience.

For anyone in the Cologne and Bonn (also Germany) vecinity, there is an interesting combined exhibition in both cities showing contemporary portrait photography, named With Different Eyes.

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2016, 06:12:49 pm »

Not quote at the top, perhaps, in some ways, but a good demonstration nonetheless of the fact that to fly with eagles you have got to be made of different material to the norm.

http://www.orkinphoto.com/biography/

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2016, 06:17:14 pm »

mbaginy

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2016, 12:25:26 am »

More interesting reading!  Thanks for the links, Rob.

Rob C

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2016, 04:14:39 pm »

Rob C

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2016, 12:30:51 pm »

mbaginy

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2016, 05:20:52 pm »

Two more interesting links, Rob.  Thanks!  I especially like Karen Radkai's photographs.  Wow!  I still see a great number of interesting situations when visiting my sister in Italy (between Rome and Naples) which I enjoy photographing.  What a beautiful country!

Rob C

« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2016, 03:39:24 pm »

Fom an intrview with Peter Lindbergh in Frost magazine:

"What was it like switching to digital photography?"

"It was a real drama (laughs). Time and time again I’ve battled with technology and have had to ask my assistant how something works. The main difference, though, is that photography in the past was a more intimate process between the model and the photographer. Today the camera is hooked up to the computer, and there are a thousand guys on the set. If you are really unlucky, you’ve even got an editor standing at the laptop commenting on every move the model makes, or suggesting how it could be done better. That, unfortunately, doesn’t have much to do with the photography."

I feel fortunate to have sidestepped most of that in my life. Maybe I wasn't born too soon after all.

Rob C

P.S. In fact, maybe you'd like to see the entire interview:

http://www.frostmagazine.com/2013/09/peter-lindbergh-interview-exclusive/

« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 03:42:29 pm by Rob C »

mbaginy

« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2016, 05:56:33 pm »

P.S. In fact, maybe you'd like to see the entire interview:
http://www.frostmagazine.com/2013/09/peter-lindbergh-interview-exclusive/
An interesting interview!  Thanks for the link, Rob.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2016, 09:30:35 am »

... an editor standing at the laptop commenting on every move the model makes, or suggesting how it could be done better.

Pity the poor Cinematographers and Camera Operators who used to hold the keys to the kingdom, but are now not much more than one of the gang of experts clustered around the monitors.

Great link to the W. Eugene Smith doc, Rob.  That's an excellent production. Thanks! 

Rob C

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2016, 12:46:06 pm »

Mike, Peter; glad you got some enjoyment out of them!

Rob C

Rob C

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2016, 01:49:31 pm »

More dreams of impossible reality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRWgNL9p62s

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2016, 05:37:09 pm »

More dreams of impossible reality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRWgNL9p62s

Rob

Rob,
Great video...once again many thanks for your posting.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2016, 05:13:57 am »

Rob,
Great video...once again many thanks for your posting.

Peter

My pleasure, Peter.

Looking at several of his vids, I have begun to wonder ¡f he really can work with those longer lenses hand-held, or whether it's a PR ploy to discourage the rest of us. I have sometimes put my 2.8/180mm (an af lens) onto a body and tried doing that with stationary objects: I can't get 'em sharp even at a 1/1000th sec! I sway about like a poppy watching the approaching Taliban. However, with up to 50mm I am surprisingly capable of having slow shutter stuff working. I often have suspected I don't have the optimal physical shape.

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2016, 08:25:34 am »

My pleasure, Peter.

Looking at several of his vids, I have begun to wonder ¡f he really can work with those longer lenses hand-held, or whether it's a PR ploy to discourage the rest of us. I have sometimes put my 2.8/180mm (an af lens) onto a body and tried doing that with stationary objects: I can't get 'em sharp even at a 1/1000th sec! I sway about like a poppy watching the approaching Taliban. However, with up to 50mm I am surprisingly capable of having slow shutter stuff working. I often have suspected I don't have the optimal physical shape.

Rob

I wondered that myself...the last shot I posted (The Stranger) was made using iso 1250  1/1,600 @ f8 .  I was at least 40 feet away which made it somewhat easier to attain sharpness. I used a 45mm(90mm) on a m/43.

Peter

Rob C

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up