Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3200ps Unusual sound / making a lot of noise !!  (Read 3199 times)

NackJich

HP Z3200ps Unusual sound / making a lot of noise !!
« on: February 25, 2016, 06:41:37 am »

Hi. There is a horrible loud sound coming from the section of the
printer close to where the usb cable enters it. I gather this may be
the belt pulley and/or the belt. I'm seeing black dust so I guess the
time is right for a replacement.

How do you identify a defective belt pulley, or would you just replace
it anyway as it's a big job to dismantle the printer?

Would anyone recommend a specific belt ie one that is less likely to wear?

Are there any other things you would do while the hood is off?

Thank you

NJ

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
Re: HP Z3200ps Unusual sound / making a lot of noise !!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 01:33:09 pm »

The pulley is probably ok.  There is only one belt to get:

GET THIS BELT ONLY

Just read this page thoroughly and you'll see what could/should be done.

-Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

samsterid

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 03:33:08 pm »

I heard a really bad noise on my Z3100 about a week after I had replaced the belt.

Turned out to be a gear on the Starwheel Lifter Motor that had popped loose from it's holding pin/capstan.
It's easy to examine if you take off the left cover.

The motor can be purchased at the LPS Computer - same site that Mark recommends for the belts.
I managed to repair mine, but it was a tricky and not so pretty epoxy job.

Sam

NackJich

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 03:50:19 pm »

Thanks Mark and Sam
I have emailed to ask if they ship to UK. I'll check out the gear at the same time.
I'm quite looking forward to this project!
NJ

NackJich

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 08:18:50 am »

Shipping for the belt to UK is 75 US dollars ... ouch!

NackJich

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2016, 06:09:56 am »

Hi again just an update on this issue. What was an intermittent sound is now constant. I have been unplugging the power lead as a precaution. Previously the noise was occasional, but now it happens everytime I plug the mains cable back in. The sound seemed to increase when I pressed the power button. I made several large prints yesterday with no problems (but with the radio turned up high!), and curiously when I powered off the printer, the buzzing sound went to a lower level for a time. The belt is stationary when this noise is happening, but I guess it could be slipping? The belt is on order..  :(

Geraldo Garcia

• Personal blog
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 08:26:51 am »

Hi again just an update on this issue. What was an intermittent sound is now constant. I have been unplugging the power lead as a precaution. Previously the noise was occasional, but now it happens everytime I plug the mains cable back in. The sound seemed to increase when I pressed the power button. I made several large prints yesterday with no problems (but with the radio turned up high!), and curiously when I powered off the printer, the buzzing sound went to a lower level for a time. The belt is stationary when this noise is happening, but I guess it could be slipping? The belt is on order..  :(

I would bet a fair amount of money that your problem is the bearing inside the power supply's fan. A couple of hours of work and a $15 fan would solve this issue. Check the link Mark sent, scroll it down a bit. Everything you need to know to replace the fan yourself is there.

Good luck.

NackJich

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2016, 10:12:23 am »

Geraldo .. Thank you very much ..I have seen Mark's amazingly detailed instructions, and I have watched the video! Something I forgot to ask.. on the print preview screen, at the bottom of the window, I am seeing 19dpi. This happens on different settings, and prints certainly don't look like 19dpi. Anyone else seeing this? Thanks...

NackJich

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 12:05:17 pm »

Further to my last post the fan WAS the culprit, and this is how I fixed it ....
All of it was very straightforward, with only a couple of glitches which I will outline at the end! You will need a torx screwdriver set with an extension and a flat screwdriver.
Dismantle the printer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U56v6y0FDh4
These are the main steps:
1) Remove front cover panel (4.74-5.60)
2)  Remove left side inspection window cover (9.40-9.60)
3) Remove media lever (10.15-10.54)
4) Remove and bag the inks (10.54-11.00)
5) Remove Network USB port cover  (11.00-11.55)
6) Take off the end cover - various screws (11.55-13.04)
7) Remove cutter assembly (13.48-14.06)
This list will assist you greatly when you reassemble the printer!

The Electronics Module: Photograph all the wires first to ensure correct replacement!
Video of screw positions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_4zysl6fBA
Lots of screws but very easy to take apart. I used a connector block to wire in the new fan.
This is the fan I used: Rapid X-Fan RDH8025B1 80 x 80 x 25mm Axial Fan 12V Brushless Ball Bearing.

The problems I encountered:
1) My supposedly magnetic torx set didn't seem to have much magnetism! Some of the screws are in very awkward places. Solution: I wrapped a little masking tape around the screw/bit and slowly docked the screw with the hole!
2) On the Module circuit board was a type of ribbon cable to the left - two of them in parallel. I pulled on the cable got a bit of a scare when the ribbon came away from the connector, but no harm was done. The contacts on this are easily damaged apparently, although I was lucky. I reinserted them by lifting on the beige connector ( I'm guessing this holds the cable securely in place), and then sliding in the ribbon carefully square with the board. When it's in place I pressed the connector back down securely. I powered up the printer with the case still off, and got error codes: 02.1:10. Looking up the code in the maintenance manual pointed to the Trailing Cable as the fault, and so I then noticed one of them was very slightly raised at one end. Re-setting the cable solved the problem.
This was actually a good days work for me - I guess around 8 hours. I took my time, and was just happy to save myself the hundreds of pounds call out bill! Thanks for all your help on this forum. Mark Lindquist's notes are here:
 http://robogravure.com/HPZ3200_Repair_Notes_Mark_Lindquist_Photography.htm#REPLACING_THE_CARRIAGE_BELT_ON_Z2100-Z3200ps_PRINTERS

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 12:38:09 pm »

Congratulations Nackjick!

Thanks for reporting back about your success.  Did you also replace the carriage belt while you were in there?

For future reference, you can tweak the magnetics by rubbing the torx bits back and forth on a magnet. 
No doubt you already know that.  Sometimes magnets are not readily handy.

Good work identifying the video time codes for the steps.

Glad you were able to get your printer back up and running.

Hard won, but definitely worth it.

Mark

Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

NackJich

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 03:10:37 pm »

Well Mark, I'm planning to oil the rail, and delay the belt change until it either shows obvious signs of heavy wear, or it breaks!  I didn't know the magnet trick for the hex bits. Chewing gum helped a bit on some of the screws! printer sounds sweet now with a slightly louder fan sound than before, and printing very well!  :D
Pages: [1]   Go Up