Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Personalised Flash Slave Settings, If Any?  (Read 4190 times)

iaent

• Yogendra Singh Photography
Personalised Flash Slave Settings, If Any?
« on: February 24, 2016, 01:59:53 am »

Friends, Is there anyway to make my slave lights to fire with my flash only so that it doesn't fire when other shooters flash fires? Any settings? Pls help. Thanks in advance.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
Re: Personalised Flash Slave Settings, If Any?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 03:26:36 am »

That is why we use radio triggers with channels and groups like Skyports, PocketWizards etc.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

dwswager

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 10:13:54 am »

Friends, Is there anyway to make my slave lights to fire with my flash only so that it doesn't fire when other shooters flash fires? Any settings? Pls help. Thanks in advance.

NO!  If you are using optical slaves built into a flash head or an outboard optical trigger like from Wein, it can not discriminate between your flash and the guy next to you.  It only discriminates by line of sight and light level.

If this is an issue, the radio triggers are the answer.

I had this problem on a small scale shooting a birthday party.  Set up a studio area in the hall and did formal portraits with the birthday girl when the guests arrived.  A few times I had people with cell phones trigger the monolights with flash form their cell phones.  I don't do public events very often so it hasn't gotten beyond annoyance stage for me.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 02:37:03 pm by dwswager »

iaent

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2016, 11:58:46 pm »

I shot a reception y'day. at photobooth my Elinchrome d'lites misfired more than 50% times. It was very disappointing and I have no solution for this. Pls advise. turning on optical slave could have eliminated this prob
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 12:04:15 am by iaent »

dwswager

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 07:31:14 pm »

I shot a reception y'day. at photobooth my Elinchrome d'lites misfired more than 50% times. It was very disappointing and I have no solution for this. Pls advise. turning on optical slave could have eliminated this prob

As I am aware, you have 3 options: Wired, Radio or Optical.  What method were you using.  I don't do public events much and I've had problem with wired just because the multiple connectors and the flash meter use.  So I use optical and deal with the few time others set off my flash heads.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2016, 08:10:13 pm »

It isn't about optical vs. radio triggers. It is about channels, and both systems have them. My Canon TTL flashes (optical) have them. Just switch to another channel. I do not know specifics of your Elinchrome model and what it uses, however. My Dynalite flashes have 16 channels to choose from.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:30:36 am by Slobodan Blagojevic »

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2016, 03:55:16 am »

my Elinchrome d'lites misfired more than 50% times.
Mate, Elinchrom is one of the most reliable flashes around. You have another problem.
The trigger may not be making contact on the hot shoe properly or you are firing before it has recharged.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

sniper

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2016, 04:49:42 am »

Some makes of radio trigger come with switches to "code" the radio so it wont affect other users close by, from my limited experience it seems most people use the default setting so simply changing the options should do the job.

dwswager

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2016, 07:46:50 am »

It isn't about optical vs. radio triggers. It is about channels, and both systems have them. My Canon TTL flashes (optical) have them. Just switch to another channel. I do not know specifics of your Elinchrome model and what is uses, however. My Dynalite flashes have 16 channels to choose from.

When I say optical, I mean optical as in light output.  Triggering slaves from the firing of the master.  IR to me while it is an optical system works more like a radio setup where you can change PIM "codes" and  make it "private".
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 08:01:39 am by dwswager »

Ellis Vener

• http://www.ellisvener.com
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 10:06:12 am »

This is why I continue to use  Pocketwizard radio systems which can be set to up to 32 channels and four groups per channel. .

iaent

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2016, 09:43:00 am »

I tried to use channel 2 instead of 1 still optical slave was affected.
Pages: [1]   Go Up