Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: That tree by the side of the road in California!  (Read 4409 times)

pcgpcg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 490
    • paulglasser
That tree by the side of the road in California!
« on: February 21, 2016, 08:15:59 pm »

on I-5 in CA at milepost 425.

I just returned from a quick run to LA and back from PDX. I usually take 395 when I have to drive to LA, but was pressed for time so decided to swallow the bitter pill and take I-5. On returning I passed by a leafless (for now) tree close by on the east side of I-5 at about mile post 425.

Wow - of all the trees I have ever seen this one has one of the most stunning graceful structures ever. I didn't take my camera because I couldn't afford the time to think about photography, but will have to return to figure out how to photograph it.

If you're a photographer and have driven by this tree then you know what I'm talking about. If not, grab your camera and go get it before it leafs out. It will be difficult to photograph because it is (apparently) on private property and very close to the freeway.

Anyone have photos they want to share?
Logged

Mjollnir

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 547
Re: That tree by the side of the road in California!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2016, 02:20:03 pm »

Rather than a mile marker, can you give a general idea of the geographic location, what it's close to, nearby towns, etc...?
Logged

pcgpcg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 490
    • paulglasser
Re: That tree by the side of the road in California!
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 07:46:13 pm »

can you give a general idea of the geographic location
East of San Jose and west of Merced.

A few seconds after I saw it I noted the reading on my odometer. The first exit on I-5 (going north) past the tree is exit 428. According to Google maps that is Fink Rd. Milepost (if there were any, there aren't) 425 is about my estimate of where the tree is, based on what my odometer said.  I looked for a Google street view that might show it, but found none.

The general terrain is bare except for some orchards. The tree has that grand sweeping stature of an old oak, with one large limb sweeping down to the left (when viewed looking east from I-5) and back up again. However, I don't think it's an oak because it has very light, whitish, bark. Not a eucalyptus which wouldn't have that structure anyway. There were several trees in a group with the one being very prominent. All within 75 yards of the freeway as I recall.
Logged

RogerD

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 1
Re: That tree by the side of the road in California!
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2016, 05:42:37 pm »

Looking at Bing maps, it appears your tree may be a few hundred feet north of Stuhr Road, mp 423.
Logged

aross007

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 54
Re: That tree by the side of the road in California!
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2016, 10:01:35 pm »

I agree with Roger D. I've driven I-5 about 4 times since you posted the question, and the only tree(s) that are close to your description are cottonwoods in the creek bottom at Stuhr Road.

Alan
Logged

pcgpcg

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 490
    • paulglasser
Re: That tree by the side of the road in California!
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2016, 07:01:49 pm »

I agree with Roger D. I've driven I-5 about 4 times since you posted the question, and the only tree(s) that are close to your description are cottonwoods in the creek bottom at Stuhr Road.

Alan
Yes, that is correct. I drove by there again last week. The tree is at Stuhr Rd., mp 423, and is the closest tree to I-5 on the east side of the highway. When it sheds its leaves its beautiful structure will be revealed. I'm no tree expert so I can't verify that it's a cottonwood tree. The bark is very light colored, which adds to its picturesque quality when leafless.
It's unlikely I'll make that drive again soon so I'm eager to see what someone else does with this photo opportunity next winter.
Logged

rent

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 12
    • Alex Jiang Photography
Re: That tree by the side of the road in California!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 10:06:01 pm »

This tree? https://www.google.com/maps/@37.3277685,-121.1105406,3a,75y,102.6h,83.99t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTPd0YpKiZ2DdjJuzXOui_A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

If the link doesn't work, put 37.3277685,-121.1105406 in google maps and look east on street view.

-alex

Yes, that is correct. I drove by there again last week. The tree is at Stuhr Rd., mp 423, and is the closest tree to I-5 on the east side of the highway. When it sheds its leaves its beautiful structure will be revealed. I'm no tree expert so I can't verify that it's a cottonwood tree. The bark is very light colored, which adds to its picturesque quality when leafless.
It's unlikely I'll make that drive again soon so I'm eager to see what someone else does with this photo opportunity next winter.
Pages: [1]   Go Up