Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: whats a reasonable time for PP/retouching fashion shots?  (Read 1931 times)

Endeavour

whats a reasonable time for PP/retouching fashion shots?
« on: February 20, 2016, 07:20:21 pm »

Once I have wrapped on a shoot and I head home to begin the post processing/retouching - whats a reasonable amount of time to have the client wait before they get their final images?

As I grow I aim to do a lot of post work after the shoot, to make what I hope to be my signature style.

When shooting landscape/wildlife, a quick crop, spot removal and curve adjustment was all that was usually required, so I could get my images out pretty quickly. This wont be the case if I start to get more fashion clients.

Is there a "we need those images now now now NOW!" attitude or is there an acceptance that some stuff just takes a while, and there arent any 'make it awesome and cool' buttons or filters in photoshop

Dshelly

• Darryl Shelly Photography
Re: whats a reasonable time for PP/retouching fashion shots?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2016, 10:51:00 am »

Delivery of post-processed images depends upon the client. It's best to have this conversation upfront so that you can come to an agreement on how many images you'll provide and a delivery date. When you spend time in post, keep an eye on how long it takes to finesse an image so that you can get estimate an average time. Some people are slow and methodical with post work, while others do it often and can streamline the process. This will help you ball-park your process in terms of time.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 10:59:18 am by Dshelly »

Hulyss

• H.Bowman
Re: whats a reasonable time for PP/retouching fashion shots?
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 02:12:10 am »

Once I have wrapped on a shoot and I head home to begin the post processing/retouching - whats a reasonable amount of time to have the client wait before they get their final images?

As I grow I aim to do a lot of post work after the shoot, to make what I hope to be my signature style.

When shooting landscape/wildlife, a quick crop, spot removal and curve adjustment was all that was usually required, so I could get my images out pretty quickly. This wont be the case if I start to get more fashion clients.

Is there a "we need those images now now now NOW!" attitude or is there an acceptance that some stuff just takes a while, and there arent any 'make it awesome and cool' buttons or filters in photoshop

As Dshelly said it depend on your client and how you organise your work. Depending of the work it can be less than 24 hours to "some" days, depending of what you need to do but primary on your skills and/or team.

As I grow I aim to do a lot of post work after the shoot, to make what I hope to be my signature style

This is IMHO a very bad goal to aim or hope. The world is big and we are legion. Your "signature" will come with your name and fame, not your "pp" skills. Just focus on the work and be pro, that is what clients expect and if the work is done correctly you'll be rewarded (more clients, publications...).
So do not mix personal and professional. You personally want to make your "own style" but professionally you'll do what the artistic director/client want and, with time, you might insert some of your "own style" if possible.

Sometimes you'll provide a raw and then the client's retouchers army will make the job, sometimes they will ask you impossible things... never over-sale yourself. Also you might start to build your own team. A good MUA can save you hours of PP for example.

Hope this help, take care.

Kind Regards -  Hulyss Bowman | hulyssbowman.com |
Pages: [1]   Go Up