Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Grand Canyon  (Read 1009 times)

sierraman

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 418
Grand Canyon
« on: February 20, 2016, 03:52:57 pm »

I don't do much B&W so needed some input on this image. Too much contrast or not enough? Too dark? My other issue is the lack of clouds on the right side of the sky. Thanks for looking.  :)
Logged

RSL

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 16748
    • http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Grand Canyon
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2016, 04:34:09 pm »

I suspect that if you've calibrated your monitor you have some detail in the lows. On here they're gone, and they need to be there.
Logged
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

sierraman

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 418
Re: Grand Canyon
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 05:22:39 pm »

Thanks. The shadows look a little dark to me too. :)
Logged

luxborealis

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 2810
    • luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
Re: Grand Canyon
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 05:39:02 pm »

Nail your black point.
Nail your white point.
Adjust exposure to taste.
Open your shadows.
Add Clarity to increase your local contrast.
Repeat as needed.
Crop out ½ the sky or choose a composition that is more canyon and less sky as right now they are evenly divided forcing us to "watch a tennis match".
Logged
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

sierraman

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 418
Re: Grand Canyon
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2016, 05:47:06 pm »

I agree there is way too much sky and I'm no tennis fan. Thanks. Looks like I have some work to do.  :)
Logged

Eric Myrvaagnes

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 22813
  • http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
Re: Grand Canyon
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2016, 06:37:13 pm »

Terry is right.
Logged
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BobDavid

  • Sr. Member
  • ****
  • Offline Offline
  • Posts: 3313
Re: Grand Canyon
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2016, 10:57:02 am »

I think this photo shows a lot of potential. Aside from the previous comments, I (personal bias) would like to see the horizon line in the center. The lower 1/8 or so of the image is murky--it weighs the picture down. Crop it out?

I like the interplay between the atmosphere (clouds, vapor, sky) and the canyon. Both elements are strong and that is what creates tension. And that tension is what draws me into the photo.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 11:01:15 am by BobDavid »
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up