Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Waipapa Lighthouse  (Read 2215 times)

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
Waipapa Lighthouse
« on: February 19, 2016, 02:11:36 am »

The short story behind this is I shouldn't be standing here... But I made it out unscathed.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Paulo Bizarro

• http://www.paulobizarro.com
Re: Waipapa Lighthouse
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 05:56:44 am »

Excellent light and composition. But the way it was framed, I actually find the lighthouse distracting, just poking out behind the rocks.

Jens Peermann

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 06:26:31 am »

I like the composition and colors but the foreground rocks have an almost sandpaper appearance from a lot of detail. Could this be over sharpened a bit?

francois

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 07:27:16 am »

Excellent light and composition. But the way it was framed, I actually find the lighthouse distracting, just poking out behind the rocks.

I'm almost with Paulo… I don't find the lighthouse to be distracting but I find that it doesn't contribute to the image. Following the path made by the running water, my eyes tend to go to the top right of the frame and ignore the lighthouse.
Francois

RoyH

• Reflective Photo
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 10:18:57 am »

Nice image I like it a lot.

It is interesting how many of us 'see' differently, but that is a part of what makes photography such an interesting pursuit. One of my first thoughts upon viewing the image was that I liked the lighthouse being included as I felt it gave the scene a sense of scale and I don't find it distracting at all.

Roy

Jens Peermann

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 10:24:46 am »

Nice image I like it a lot.

One of my first thoughts upon viewing the image was that I liked the lighthouse being included…

I totally agree, and not only because the title identifies the lighthouse as the subject.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 01:20:55 pm »

I like the composition and colors but the foreground rocks have an almost sandpaper appearance from a lot of detail. Could this be over sharpened a bit?

Interesting point.  I see it at the lower resolution and I know processing for web requires some different processing techniques.  I'll have to figure out the proper web sharpening.  I had brought out the detail on the image, then toned it way back because of how distracting all the detail becomes.  Nearly everything in the image is high detail; my eye just didn't know where to go.  I agree with everyone on the point that my attention is led away from the lighthouse.  It would be much more convenient if the water led my eye to the white lighthouse.  I'm definitely not thinking of getting rid of the lighthouse... I was thinking to up the lighting a bit on the highlights of the hill to attract the eye there after riding the water up.  I think part of the problem with the image is there is too much for the eye to look at, which might be good as a large print, but a small image online it's distracting.

Thoughts?
Maddog Murph

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 08:36:39 pm »

Enhanced lighting in the water and hills. Enhanced detail below the horizon. Enhanced cloud contrast. Perhaps the lighthouse seems to fit better now? Too subtle? Too much light above the water? Thoughts?
Maddog Murph

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 09:07:05 pm »

Enhanced lighting in the water and hills. Enhanced detail below the horizon. Enhanced cloud contrast. Perhaps the lighthouse seems to fit better now? Too subtle? Too much light above the water? Thoughts?

Too enhanced. The OP much more subtle, believable, natural. Not everything needs to scream for attention.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2016, 09:35:13 pm »

Too enhanced. The OP much more subtle, believable, natural. Not everything needs to scream for attention.
I was actually already thinking this on the OP (too enhanced), but I'm trying to draw the viewer to the lighthouse based on the feedback.  I do think I might like the detail enhancement below though, that seems more subtle.
Maddog Murph

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2016, 11:57:31 pm »

I agree. The original is fine.

-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

sdwilsonsct

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2016, 11:00:10 am »

I agree. The original is fine.

The horizon and "stream" make a nice sharp triangle leading us into the frame, and the lighthouse serves as a small break on the way in. Good composition IMO.
Pages: [1]   Go Up