Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: C1 catalogs - advice coming from Lightroom  (Read 1818 times)

KellyHicks

C1 catalogs - advice coming from Lightroom
« on: February 17, 2016, 05:36:48 pm »

I'm trying to integrate my workflow from a combination of Lightroom+C1 to C1 only, but I'm having trouble coming up with a strategy.

Currently, I create a new LR catalog per year (34K images) and use C1 to process the raw files.  After that year is over, I merge the LR catalog from that year to an LR archive catalog of images. My archive catalog has over 110k images. I'm not sure if C1 would be able to handle a catalog of that size. I was thinking about making a C1 catalog for each year, then merge that catalog into an archive. Is that reasonable or is there another strategy that I should look at?

I was hoping C9 might have some additional improvements to the catalog system and am curious to see what other photographers are doing. I can stick with LR solely for cataloging if I have to, but would like a one software solution.

Jimmy D Uptain

Re: C1 catalogs - advice coming from Lightroom
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 10:25:15 pm »

From my personal experience, one year per catalog would probably be your best bet in C1.
Later on, when (if) they get things in order, you could merge all the catalogs.
I'm still using both, side by side.

KellyHicks

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 08:40:10 am »

Thanks Jimmy. I think I will go with what you said and do a catalog per year on capture one. I just did a test on C1 (ver. 9) and it looks to be running faster then what I remember.  The last time I tried creating a catalog in C1 was using version 7. I'm also trying out photomechanic to go through images before importing into C1 to cut down on the number of imports.

Bob Rockefeller

• macOS, iOS, OM Systems, Epson P800
    • Bob Rockefeller
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 09:28:35 am »

Another approach, if you have the storage space available, would be to make a giant "fake" catalog. Do multiple imports of a big folder full of images until you have a catalog containing what you might imagine as "big enough."

With that catalog you could try CO and see if it has bogged down too badly.
Bob Rockefeller
Midway, GA   www.bobrockefeller.com

KellyHicks

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 10:55:21 pm »

Another approach, if you have the storage space available, would be to make a giant "fake" catalog. Do multiple imports of a big folder full of images until you have a catalog containing what you might imagine as "big enough."

With that catalog you could try CO and see if it has bogged down too badly.

Another good idea.  Thanks Bob.
Pages: [1]   Go Up