Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Imageprint vs UltraSmooth  (Read 5337 times)

chriscor

Imageprint vs UltraSmooth
« on: May 07, 2006, 02:53:04 am »

Is anyone here using PremierArt Hot Press (same paper as Epson UltraSmooth according to the people at InkjetArt) with Imageprint? I'm finding it impossible to get the print to match the screen.  
I'm on a Mac with OSX, Epson 4000, LaCie monitor calibrated with
Monaco Optix,  Imageprint Version 6 and softproofing in PhotoShop. I've tried switching monitors but the problem is the same.  My prints are consistently yellow/green  yellow/cyan when compared with the monitor.   Is there a issue with the paper because it has such a warm base?
I've printed the same images using Imageprint and the Epson driver.  The prints made using the Epson driver are always a closer match than the Imageprint ones.
Is anyone else using UltraSmooth/PremierArt with ImagePrint and having problems matching the monitor?

Chris

mkravit

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 09:28:58 am »

In general with imageprint if you prints don't match your screen then your imageprint settings are not correct. I went through this for several months until I began playing with the settings. Imageprints suggested settings do not allow for a perfect match. I suggest you start with changing the rendering intent.

colourperfect

• http://www.colourperfect.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 02:04:59 pm »

A few more possibilities .....

Do you have simulate paper white and black checked in photoshop ?
Have you checked that you dont have any blocked nozzles on the printer ?
Are you printing OK with other papers ?

Ian

http://profiles.colourperfect.co.uk

chriscor

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 10:33:37 pm »

Hi Michael / Ian,

I've played around with the different rendering intents but nothing produces a screen/print match.  I realize that a perfect match is impossible but the screen to print difference is so great that printing through Imageprint reminds me of printing in  a wet darkroom.  Make a print and make adjustments based on the print.
I don't have simulate paper white and black checked in softproofing. I've read Bruce Fraser's book and realize it's recommended but when I check black and paper white the image on the screen becomes incredibly "muddy".  The colors stay the same but the luminance changes dramatically, and in my opinion is not a very accurate depiction of what the image will print like.  I'm not having any problems with the brightness or contrast of the image, just the colors matching.  I was assuming that when softproofing the brightness/color of the paper was displayed without having to check simulate paper white.
Also, when printing with the Epson driver using a generic profile I've been getting pretty close screen / print matches without having the simulate paper white and black checked.

chriscor

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 03:40:53 am »

Since I can't get a screen/print match using Imageprint and their profiles I've been playing with the Epson profiles to see if I have better luck.  One of the things I've noticed is that with the Epson profiles when I check simulate paper white the image barely changes - it becomes slightly darker.  When using Imageprint's profiles, when I check simulate paper white the screen image becomes so muddy that it's useless.  Anybody know why the two profiles behave so differently?  Am I doing something wrong?

Chris

madmanchan

• Web
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 07:26:36 am »

Which version of the ImagePrint profiles are you using?  Colorbyte provides different flavors of the profile for different illumination conditions under which the print will be viewed, i.e. daylight, tungsten, mixed lighting, etc.  

Eric
Eric Chan

chriscor

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2006, 01:00:57 pm »

Hi Eric,

I have Imageprint 6.0, build 1.3.0.  I'm using the profile for mixed light, though I've tried the others to see if they would match (they don't).  There seems to be a big problem reproducing blues accurately.

I'm using a powerbook with an external monitor (CRT) connected to it.  Could this be a problem? The CRT is calibrated , the powerbook screen is not.  When I bring an image into Imageprint the preview in IP does not match the image as it appears in PhotoShop (it's using the Powerbook's screen calibration for the preview I assume).   When I asked this question in the IP Yahoo group, I was told that this was a quirk that was fixed in latter updates of IP but that it shouldn't affect the printed image, and that it should match the calibrated screen .

mposter

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 03:12:40 pm »

I can't address the IP issues, but can say that I've profiled Epson Ultrasmooth Fine Art and PremierArt Hot Press and find that the profiles for one aren't useful with the other; they are close, but do not match. The papers appear to be very similar, but I doubt that they are identical. Perhaps that has some implications with respect to your profile choices in IP.

chriscor

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 03:29:49 pm »

Hi,

How do they differ?  

IP has profiles for both papers - both UltraSmooth and PremierArt.  Neither one gives a screen match for me.  The image content dictates which profile I use.  The PremierArt profile has problems with the loss of detail in the red parts of images - which surprised me as I supplied IP with the output to profile the paper.  
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong but the screen and printed images don't match.

mposter

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 03:00:33 pm »

For all intents and purposes the papers appear to be identical. It's been some time since I worked with the Epson paper. All I can remember is that similar output could not be achieved using profiles alternately.

Hi,

How do they differ? 

IP has profiles for both papers - both UltraSmooth and PremierArt.  Neither one gives a screen match for me.  The image content dictates which profile I use.  The PremierArt profile has problems with the loss of detail in the red parts of images - which surprised me as I supplied IP with the output to profile the paper. 
I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong but the screen and printed images don't match.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=65822\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

dlashier

• http://www.lashier.com/
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 01:58:29 pm »

Is anyone here using PremierArt Hot Press (same paper as Epson UltraSmooth according to the people at InkjetArt) with Imageprint? I'm finding it impossible to get the print to match the screen. 

I'm printing on PAHP with IP and have no problems, but I'm using a custom profile I made myself, not the IP profile. IMO it is a fine paper for the price nearly matching the much more expensive Arches Infinity.

- DL
Pages: [1]   Go Up