Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Nikon teleconverters with third party lenses.  (Read 2408 times)

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
Nikon teleconverters with third party lenses.
« on: February 13, 2016, 08:22:33 am »

Does anyone know for sure if one can use third party primes (more specifically, Zeiss ZF.2/Milvus lenses) with the newest generation of Nikon teleconverters?  If not, are there other teleconverters on the market which would work?  The camera in question is a Nikon D810.  Of course, autofocus is not an issue.  However, what about aperture control?  Can the aperture be controlled via one of the command dials (as is the case with Zeiss lenses mounted without a teleconverter)?  Sorry, a lot of questions to which I have no dependable answers.  Much appreciation for any help you can offer!

With best wishes,

Larry

dwswager

Re: Nikon teleconverters with third party lenses.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 03:47:17 pm »

Does anyone know for sure if one can use third party primes (more specifically, Zeiss ZF.2/Milvus lenses) with the newest generation of Nikon teleconverters?  If not, are there other teleconverters on the market which would work?  The camera in question is a Nikon D810.  Of course, autofocus is not an issue.  However, what about aperture control?  Can the aperture be controlled via one of the command dials (as is the case with Zeiss lenses mounted without a teleconverter)?  Sorry, a lot of questions to which I have no dependable answers.  Much appreciation for any help you can offer!

With best wishes,

Larry

As I don't have the lens in question, but do own a TC-14EII and TC-20EII, I will say that it SHOULD work fine.  It is just a matter of electronic signal transmission and given that it works with Nikkors and the lens in question works on the body itself, then it should not be an issue.  The 2 real issues with the TC is physical clearance between the front of TC and the real lens element and the actual optical properties not being matched to Non Nikkor designs.

bisht

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2016, 02:20:26 pm »

Lawrence,

My TC-14EII does not mount on my ZF.2 100mm f/2.

Best regards,
Tim

LawrenceBraunstein

• My SmugMug Galeries
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2016, 03:47:03 pm »

Thanks Tim!

Not good news for me. The 2/100mm Makro-Planar is one of the two lenses I was hoping to use together with the TC (the other being the 2/135mm Apo Sonnar). Looks like I'll need to find another solution.  Thanks anyway for the information.

Larry

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2016, 06:37:04 pm »

Thanks Tim!

Not good news for me. The 2/100mm Makro-Planar is one of the two lenses I was hoping to use together with the TC (the other being the 2/135mm Apo Sonnar). Looks like I'll need to find another solution.  Thanks anyway for the information.

Larry
There is a kind of lock on the TC that makes it compatible with only some Nikkor lenses...
I have had this lock ( piece of metal) removed to use it on all my lenses to find out the converter only gives real advantage to the lenses Nikon found appropriate. ( so with the lock in place)
I think it has to do with the incoming angle of the light. It probably will have to be within certain limits to have a useful converter.
( i was hoping to get a 170mm PCE lens but it did not work out)

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Conner999

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 02:38:42 pm »

As last poster mentioned, there is a tab on the lens-side of the TC that if removed, will alow a physical mounting. Just remove the lens side ring carefully, file down the tab, and remount. As long as there is clearance to the rear element, it will physically work - optically may spend on the lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up