Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 5DS - CF or SD?  (Read 837 times)

Jeremy Roussak

• Administrator
    • site
5DS - CF or SD?
« on: February 07, 2016, 05:08:21 pm »

I've read this thread with interest. Having just acquired a 5DS, I'm curious: should I use the a CF or an SD as my primary card? I'm not planning to shoot to both, but to switch to the secondary when the primary is full.

Does it make any difference?

Jeremy

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Re: 5DS - CF or SD?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 06:45:38 pm »

Are you interested in wi-fi? CF slot can be used for that. I started a thread here, but nobody replied :(

dwswager

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 06:59:41 pm »

I've read this thread with interest. Having just acquired a 5DS, I'm curious: should I use the a CF or an SD as my primary card? I'm not planning to shoot to both, but to switch to the secondary when the primary is full.

Does it make any difference?

Jeremy

It generally doesn't make a difference.  I shoot Nikon, but when I shoot sports and need speed to flush the buffer, I shoot to CF.  CF is ultimately more durable as well.  If I'm shooting JPG for non critical work I shoot to SD because my laptop has a slot so I don't have to have an adapter with me or putz with it.

The fastest CF is still faster than the fastest SD, so that is really the difference.

nemophoto

• Nemo Niemann Photography
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2016, 12:17:16 pm »

At this point, CF cards are still faster with the 5Ds. But it depends on what you own. If you already a bunch of fast SD cards, go with them. For me, I have several hundred GB of CF cards, so I have no desire to switch.

Canon 5Ds SD and CF card tests -  this is a comprehensive link to CF and SD cards tested in the Canon 5Ds.

razrblck

• Chill
    • Instagram
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2016, 01:03:19 pm »

If you want some numbers, here are some speed tests with many cards.

It does make a difference depending on usage. If you take a couple of frames every minute or so you won't notice a difference, but if you shoot a lot (say one frame every two seconds) the faster card will help keep your buffer flushed and ready.
Instagram (updated often)
Pages: [1]   Go Up