Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: !D X D5 competition?  (Read 1365 times)

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
!D X D5 competition?
« on: February 06, 2016, 06:57:21 am »

Ok a bit tongue in cheek, but honestly most of what Nikon and Canon claim their top line are capable of, on paper this little Sony has a tilt at them.
Yes I know the difference, but a skilled 1D X D5 photographer would most likely still come away with the goods if they were using this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ZSD-zj73A#t=76
Of course there are differences but not all of them in favour of the big machines.
Kevin.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

Re: !D X D5 competition?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 09:08:31 am »

Ok a bit tongue in cheek, but honestly most of what Nikon and Canon claim their top line are capable of, on paper this little Sony has a tilt at them.
Yes I know the difference, but a skilled 1D X D5 photographer would most likely still come away with the goods if they were using this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ZSD-zj73A#t=76
Of course there are differences but not all of them in favour of the big machines.

Hi Kevin,

Specs only tell so much, and rarely the whole story (remember shutter vibration issues, lossy compressed Raws, etc.?). The 1Dx (Mark II) and D5 are built to stand some abuse (either from weather/environmental conditions or from handling), and they/their predecessors have a track record and service organization that provides confidence for working Pros. Battery capacities to match the requirements, and excellent lenses.

Of course all new model's features need to be first seen in action before we can judge, but with any Sony I get the feeling that, while interesting new technology, Sony tends to almost abandon/supersede it as rapidly as they introduce it, because they need to introduce something new to keep the upgrade cash-flow going. For Canon and Nikon, they are in it for the long haul, which is reflected by the price of entry, but also the durability and the eagerness of other companies to develop accessories that augment a system.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

KevinA

• Tree Without a Bird
Re: !D X D5 competition?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 10:27:07 am »

Hi Kevin,

Specs only tell so much, and rarely the whole story (remember shutter vibration issues, lossy compressed Raws, etc.?). The 1Dx (Mark II) and D5 are built to stand some abuse (either from weather/environmental conditions or from handling), and they/their predecessors have a track record and service organization that provides confidence for working Pros. Battery capacities to match the requirements, and excellent lenses.

Of course all new model's features need to be first seen in action before we can judge, but with any Sony I get the feeling that, while interesting new technology, Sony tends to almost abandon/supersede it as rapidly as they introduce it, because they need to introduce something new to keep the upgrade cash-flow going. For Canon and Nikon, they are in it for the long haul, which is reflected by the price of entry, but also the durability and the eagerness of other companies to develop accessories that augment a system.

Cheers,
Bart

Hi Bart,
I shoot the 1D X and have no desire for an APS camera, but this little camera looks very interesting for a anyone  that doesn't need to send off a jpg from trackside. The low light performance of the Sony will be  decider I think.
Although I use the 1D X I bet 99% of the time if the Sony is as good in hand as on paper my clients wouldn't notice the difference, I think the Sony's 4k could outshine the bigger DSLR's too. If video is important.
Sony are blazing a trail at the moment, I do wonder about switching or at least adding a Sony to my Canons, the only thing that stops me is it feels more computer than camera. I think if something got nudged and set wrong it would take some figuring out to put right and I don't often have the time. The Sony operation isn't quite the real deal yet for me.
Kevin.
Pages: [1]   Go Up