Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Aperture, A7Rii uncompressed RAWs and OSX 10.10.5 vs 10.11  (Read 10564 times)

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
Aperture, A7Rii uncompressed RAWs and OSX 10.10.5 vs 10.11
« on: February 02, 2016, 12:46:48 pm »

Hi All,

For the time being Aperture is still central to my workflow (I greatly prefer its interface, skin smoothing and retouching capabilities to LR/C1Pro).

I'm still on OSX 10.10.4.

Questions:
1) Does Aperture work on 10.11.x El Capitan? I know they said Yosemite was the last supported release, but does it actually run under El Cap?

2) Does OSX 10.10.5 include support for A7Rii uncompressed RAW? Or would I need El Cap for that?

If necessary I'll use C1Pro -> 16 bit TIFF -> Aperture for retouching for uncompressed RAWs from the A7Rii but if I could get Aperture to process them by moving to 10.10.5 that would be a real bonus.

Anyone know if it works?

Cheers, Hywel

mgrayson

Re: Aperture, A7Rii uncompressed RAWs and OSX 10.10.5 vs 10.11
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 10:39:25 pm »

Yes to 1). I use Aperture under 10.11.3, and it works just fine.

No idea on 2)

--Matt

kirkt

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 09:06:03 am »

Here's what I got when I Googled "Apple Yosemite raw support sony a7rII" on the Bing:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203088

See if it works for you.  If you do not already own a sony a7rII and want to test a raw file from it, go to the Imaging Resource website - they usually include raw sample files for download of all of the cameras they review.

kirk
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 09:09:14 am by kirkt »

Hywel

• http://www.restrainedelegance.com
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 06:20:25 am »

Actually anyone with a Mac running 10.10.5 or 10.11 and an A7Rii could answer this for me I think.

I can see the COMPRESSED raws just fine and preview them with Preview.

But the UNCOMPRESSED raws that were added in a firmware update I can't see with OSX. It just displays a black frame once it renders its own preview rather than using the jpeg embedded in the raw.

C1Pro sees both fine (but also threw a fit when first presented with the uncompressed raws, until Phase One updated it).

What I'm asking is can OSX see the uncompressed raws in 10.10.5 ? Sorry, didn't think clearly enough about the question I was asking!

Cheers, Hywel

ButchM

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 09:42:25 am »

Actually anyone with a Mac running 10.10.5 or 10.11 and an A7Rii could answer this for me I think.

I can see the COMPRESSED raws just fine and preview them with Preview.

But the UNCOMPRESSED raws that were added in a firmware update I can't see with OSX. It just displays a black frame once it renders its own preview rather than using the jpeg embedded in the raw.

C1Pro sees both fine (but also threw a fit when first presented with the uncompressed raws, until Phase One updated it).

What I'm asking is can OSX see the uncompressed raws in 10.10.5 ? Sorry, didn't think clearly enough about the question I was asking!

Cheers, Hywel

It really isn't an issue so much of which version of OS X you are using, as long as it is still current enough to utilize Apple's Camera RAW updates to CoreImage. Unlike C1Pro and Lightroom ... Aperture, iPhoto, Preview and the new Photos app, RAW rendering is handled at the system level, not the individual app level.

Make sure you have the most recent update to Apple Camera RAW (simply check for updates via the Mac App Store app.)

If this update to the A7Rii is a recent one, it likely hasn't been included in any recent OS X updates. You may have to wait for that update. Unfortunately, these Camera RAW updates are not on a specific timetable but Apple responds rather efficiently.

tonywong

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 09:29:12 am »

Hi All,

For the time being Aperture is still central to my workflow (I greatly prefer its interface, skin smoothing and retouching capabilities to LR/C1Pro).

I'm still on OSX 10.10.4.

Questions:
1) Does Aperture work on 10.11.x El Capitan? I know they said Yosemite was the last supported release, but does it actually run under El Cap?

2) Does OSX 10.10.5 include support for A7Rii uncompressed RAW? Or would I need El Cap for that?

If necessary I'll use C1Pro -> 16 bit TIFF -> Aperture for retouching for uncompressed RAWs from the A7Rii but if I could get Aperture to process them by moving to 10.10.5 that would be a real bonus.

Anyone know if it works?

Cheers, Hywel

Apple RAW doesn't support uncompressed or apsc raw files for A7r2 as of yet. I last checked it about a week ago on El Capitan.

tomskyphoto

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2016, 06:50:02 am »

Running OS X 10.10.5 aka Yosemite here on two machines. Can't make any statements regarding El Capitan (10.11) as I'm somewhat reluctant to upgrade anytime soon after the not so nice Yosemite installation experience.

All software updated to the latest versions things look as follows:

+ Aperture's import dialog recognizes the uncompressed ARW files and displays a preview of files (e.g. on an SD card) to be imported.
+ Photos also does it like Aperture. Don't use the app but just checked for information.
+ Likewise no issues with LR/PS CC.

- Preview still just displays a black frame. Interestingly enough Finder is apparently using the embedded JPEG for its miniature file icons as they appear properly when copying an ARW to the desktop or opening a folder. But in Finder's column view the large Preview based view is of course also black.
- Aperture imports the correctly previewed ARW but then displays "Unsupported image format!"
- Photos likewise fails after import. First it seems to do nothing then all black too.

Guess we'll have to wait it out until Apple provides a fix.

Thomas
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 06:56:29 am by tomskyphoto »

CatOne

• http://blloyd.smugmug.com
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 12:21:06 pm »

Running OS X 10.10.5 aka Yosemite here on two machines. Can't make any statements regarding El Capitan (10.11) as I'm somewhat reluctant to upgrade anytime soon after the not so nice Yosemite installation experience.

All software updated to the latest versions things look as follows:

+ Aperture's import dialog recognizes the uncompressed ARW files and displays a preview of files (e.g. on an SD card) to be imported.
+ Photos also does it like Aperture. Don't use the app but just checked for information.
+ Likewise no issues with LR/PS CC.

- Preview still just displays a black frame. Interestingly enough Finder is apparently using the embedded JPEG for its miniature file icons as they appear properly when copying an ARW to the desktop or opening a folder. But in Finder's column view the large Preview based view is of course also black.
- Aperture imports the correctly previewed ARW but then displays "Unsupported image format!"
- Photos likewise fails after import. First it seems to do nothing then all black too.

Guess we'll have to wait it out until Apple provides a fix.

Thomas

It's likely because Aperture and Photos are displaying the JPEG preview that's inside the RAW file (which is what's displayed on the back of the camera). So just because you can see the preview doesn't mean the RAW file is supported.

To get support, I suspect you're going to need to move to El Capitan, because the OS is what brings support for new RAW formats, and the A7RII came out months after El Capitan shipped.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2016, 12:07:59 am »

Have you checked Windows > Show Activity to see if it is still creating the previews?
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography
Pages: [1]   Go Up