Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Camera Insurance  (Read 3790 times)

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
Camera Insurance
« on: February 01, 2016, 02:31:34 pm »

How do you insure your camera equipment? It seems like I have read about some nature organizations that you can join that provide insurance?
Mike

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: Camera Insurance
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 02:54:45 pm »

In the old days (for me) I was able to get this through the APA/LA.
Now I just have a business policy and while I don't have a huge amount of equipment like the old days, no issue placing camera and computer equipment on the policy.
I'm with the Hartford FWIW.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Colorado David

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 03:00:56 pm »

You can buy equipment insurance here: http://nanpa.org/equipment_insurance.php if you are a member.

You can also buy insurance, both equipment and liability through ASMP as a member.  There are other associations that offer insurance coverage too.

David Eichler

• San Francisco Architectural and Interior Photographer
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2016, 12:41:41 am »

You can buy equipment insurance here: http://nanpa.org/equipment_insurance.php if you are a member.

You can also buy insurance, both equipment and liability through ASMP as a member.  There are other associations that offer insurance coverage too.

Strictly speaking, you do not buy insurance through the ASMP. A few insurance brokers offer packages for photographers and provide a discount to ASMP members, but you don't have to be an ASMP member to obtain the insurance itself. Not sure how it works with other such organizations.

Miles

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2016, 08:46:18 am »

I went to my agent for home owners insurance and he provided a rider for my camera equipment.  I have to list the equipment and serial numbers for lenses and cameras.  It certainly provides some peace of mind when travelling or leaving the vehicle in a remote location with some of my equipment left behind.  I would be curious if there are cheaper alternatives however.

Miles

Mike Sellers

• Mike Sellers Photography
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 11:22:53 am »

Just locking your vehicle is not much of a deterrent to a determined thief. Many thousands worth of camera equipment was stolen after someone broke into a locked SUV at Vultee Arch outside of Sedona a few years ago.

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2016, 11:12:48 pm »

I have personal article insurance through state farm. I had to bring my camera equipment physically in and show the agent whom wrote down serial numbers, and checked receipts for each items value.  It was about $100/Year for about $5,000 worth of equipment. I'll update you as things develop as I've got to make a claim from when my camera and lens took water damage in Iceland. They said it's insured basically no matter what happens, dropped, stolen, etc.
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 02:08:00 pm »

I have coverage through Thomas C Pickard Inc. on the West Coast, and the insurer is The Great American Insurance Agency. 

I pay about $1200 per year, all my equipment is covered, which adds up to about $100K, throughout the world regardless of how it is stored or transported.  I also have $50K in rental coverage.  The only exception to my insurance is if I loose or forget an item. 

I also receive $4M in yearly liability with $2M aggregate on this plan. 

I use to have coverage through a local agent with the Hartford group.  However, their plans are more geared towards wedding and event photography, and they became leery covering someone with so much commercial equipment.  They also stopped covering photographers who put themselves in what they referred to perilous situations, such as high balconies and rooftops.  When I switched and told this to Pickard Inc., they just laughed and said, "we cover photographers who put themselves in much more dangerous situations then rooftops." 
« Last Edit: February 20, 2016, 11:26:24 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

maddogmurph

• Maddog's Photography
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2016, 03:28:55 pm »

...told this to Pickard Inc., they just laughed and said, "we cover photographers who put themselves in much more dangerous situations then rooftops."
This made me laugh... if they knew the things I was doing they definitely wouldn't be pushing life insurance on me as a rider...
Maddog Murph
www.depictionsofbeauty.com
Mostly here for constructive feedback.

Colorado David

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2016, 08:57:54 pm »

A friend and colleague of mine lost his inland marine insurance policy covering his equipment and liability. The insurer told him when they refused to renew his policy that they had googled him and he was too big a risk.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2016, 01:43:23 pm »

A friend and colleague of mine lost his inland marine insurance policy covering his equipment and liability. The insurer told him when they refused to renew his policy that they had googled him and he was too big a risk.

This is why, if you're a commercial photographer, you should really use an agent that deals with photo, video and production clients.  Tom C Pickard and Taylor & Taylor both service a large list of commercial clients, a good portion of which are in Hollywood.  They are use to having clients that deal with large productions with safety issues. 
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:42:03 am by JoeKitchen »
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

Jay Kaplan

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2016, 07:59:58 pm »

There are two ways to handle this. If you are a professional [viewed as this is your business] then you need a commercial policy for your equipment. If you are not a professional [viewed as not selling photos/prints] then you can add a rider on your homeowners' policy or get a separate inland marine policy. Your agent can obtain the coverage for you at a reasonable cost and most of the major companies such as The Hartford, Erie, State Farm, Allstate and many others.

Jay
Pages: [1]   Go Up